PDA

View Full Version : Galeon Browser...

LongTooth
April 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Years ago when I first started working with Linux, there was a browser named Galeon. Over the ensuing years, it seemed to fade into the background. Over shadowed, first by Mozilla and then by Firefox. Even Epiphany got more press then Galeon. Surfing the net, I came across it. Thought I'd check it out. Very nice. If I may, I'd like to suggest you try it. I have Firefox as well as Epiphany on my machine. Even though I don't use Epiphany that much. (Just had to give it a shot). Do I feel Galeon is better than Firefox or Epiphany? Can't tell yet. But I'm quite taken with it. Installed it via apt-get: apt-get install mozilla-galeon. Give it a shot. Here's the Home page: http://galeon.sourceforge.net/ It certainly seems zippier then Firefox and Epiphany. At least to me. Or is it my imgination? You tell me.

bigzak
April 29th, 2005, 09:08 AM
When Galeon first made a 1.0 release, complete with tabs and search bars, back in '01 it quickly became the browser of choice for most of the Linux users I knew at the time. There was simply nothing to match it for ease of use or features. Even in these enlighened days of Firefox, I still miss being able to detach and reattach tabs!

az
April 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
It is in Hoary:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=galeon

Galeon was born from the desire to just have a simple web browser. Using the quick mozilla rendering engine, it was very fast and standards compliant. It loaded fast and did not come with a bunch of extra crap.

Becoming popular, many many new developpers quickly started to add features to it. When the creator finally got sick of the direction it was taking, he ported it to gtk2 and left behind a number of the features that the community had dumped into it. After a lot of kicking and screaming, the originator left the project, starting the epiphany project. Epiphany is just what his original idea was. Just a simple web browser.

TravisNewman
April 29th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Oh thank god. I knew there was a relationship between galeon and epiphany, but I couldn't remember what. Thanks azz, that's one more thing I can let go of ;)

bigzak
April 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM
It is in Hoary:
[url]After a lot of kicking and screaming, the originator left the project, starting the epiphany project. Epiphany is just what his original idea was. Just a simple web browser.

Just another example of why Bloat Is Bad(tm)

The only reason I stopped using Galeon and went to the Mozilla Suite is because I got sick of the badly tacked on extras in each mini release. I'm going to check out Epiphany now, just to see...

totalshredder
April 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I actually use galeon for 70% of my internet browsing. I really like it :) It's light, and it has enough features to keep me happy.

Luke

sas
April 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Just another example of why Bloat Is Bad(tm)

The only reason I stopped using Galeon and went to the Mozilla Suite is because I got sick of the badly tacked on extras in each mini release. I'm going to check out Epiphany now, just to see...
You dumped Galeon in favour of Moz Suite because galeon was bloated? Jeeze, it must've been bad!

escuchamezz
April 29th, 2005, 09:09 PM
r

Stormy Eyes
April 29th, 2005, 09:23 PM
what's the point of using galeon, if you can use firefox? :???:

Unfortunately, Firefox doesn't fit as nicely with the rest of GNOME as Epiphany or Galeon do.

az
April 29th, 2005, 10:35 PM
what's the point of using galeon, if you can use firefox? :???:

This all happened pre firefox.

Of Galeon, epiphany and firefox, firefox is the most sluggish....

mrtaber
April 29th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I must confess (sheepishly in this the day where Firefox rules the Open Source landscape) that having the latest version of Epiphany helped sell me on Ubuntu; after spending a little time with Epiphany, setting up some Smart Bookmarks (and finding I can't live without them now); the simplicity--'nuff said. I'm a fan.

:-D

Mark

kiddo
April 29th, 2005, 11:29 PM
THE thing which forces me to stay with firefox is adblock. If this thing could be ported to encompass, epiphany, galleon, whatever, it would be so great. I'm allergic to advertising, so I got a list of some wild wildcards by myself.. I don't see any, anymore :) but firefox is sloooow it's not as reactive as the windows version.

Smart Bookmarks I didn't quite get that concept.. I'll have to read the docs again...

LongTooth
April 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM
I have to agree; compared to Galeon, Firefox does seem sluggest. I never though I'd say that. Never in a million years. I don't think I'll give up on Firefox but is sure is nice to have Galeon on board.

It's been a good twenty four hours since I downloaded and started using Galeon. Quick, Light, Crisp. Fast. I think I'll delete Epiphany and keep Galeon.

Oh, and to the poster who said he gave up on Epiphany for Mozilla Suite because of bloat: Huh? Say What...?

poofyhairguy
April 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I use Galeon on older computers. It feels faster. Its not pretty to look at though. Epiphany is really close speedwis, and is a little better to look at and has a few more pluggins . Firefox is way slower and takes a lot more CPU power to crank out pages, but its the best to look at and it has the best pluggins.