PDA

View Full Version : Does Beryl Work For You?

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Are you able to get beryl, xgl+compiz....etc to work on your machine....
How did you do it? Do you have the Akamaru physics engine running (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qoF72PFic&NR)?

A Resource I found
Ubuntu edgy beryl-svn repository Informations (http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/dists/edgy/beryl-svn/)

_simon_
November 23rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Installed it a few times now, it just keeps getting easier.

Very, very easy if you use an nvidia card and the 9xxxx drivers.

I used the same link you posted above, yesterday when I found it on Digg, so I could get all of the latest stuff.

Loving the burn and beam effect and 3D world is cool.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Installed it a few times now, it just keeps getting easier.

Very, very easy if you use an nvidia card and the 9xxxx drivers.

I used the same link you posted above, yesterday when I found it on Digg, so I could get all of the latest stuff.

Loving the burn and beam effect and 3D world is cool.

I must say, the linux world is a better world with Nvidia, at least compared to ATI.](*,)

Mathiasdm
November 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Nope. My graphics card (in Linux) doesn't have DRI and 3D acceleration ](*,)

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Nope. My graphics card (in Linux) doesn't have DRI and 3D acceleration ](*,)

I am sorry to hear that.

fuscia
November 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
after a number of attempts, i finally got it installed with automatix2 bleeder and a lot of help from arnieboy.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM
after a number of attempts, i finally got it installed with automatix2 bleeder and a lot of help from arnieboy.

arnieboy is the man and automatix2 is awesome!

Circus-Killer
November 23rd, 2006, 09:54 AM
this is only my opinion and experience with beryl, no need for flaming. i personally find it very close to perfect, but just not quite close enough.

for me, i find it does lag the system. things tend to take a lil longer, and the system doesnt seem as smooth on a whole. basically, i like beryl, but i'de rather wait till its further along in development.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM
this is only my opinion and experience with beryl, no need for flaming. i personally find it very close to perfect, but just not quite close enough.

for me, i find it does lag the system. things tend to take a lil longer, and the system doesnt seem as smooth on a whole. basically, i like beryl, but i'de rather wait till its further along in development.

I agree, you have to have a pretty super system to keep it from being noticably laggy.

Perfect Storm
November 23rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Works perfect here. Though I still experience some small glitches here and there but nothing major.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Works perfect here. Though I still experience some small glitches here and there but nothing major.

Hey art, you have any suggestions for fixing artifacts?
for example
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=298808
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19291&d=1163430641

Onyros
November 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
When I do use Beryl it works perfectly... after I "kill" beryl-manager's process (only needed once).

Also, it does slow down one's system, it still is quite the resource hog and most of its effects are pretty useless (apart from Scale, which is really really really useful).

MedivhX
November 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Works cool... Using 0.1.3 SVN...

beercz
November 23rd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Works OK for me on my intel based graphics card on my laptop. But I don't use it very often.

honda
November 23rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Works, sort of, on athlon xp 1800 with ati radeon 7500. Slows down the system, and can't play video. Irritating things like slideshow in f-spot can't do those smooth picture fade in/out any more. Get one eyecandy, loose another...

mcduck
November 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Works perfectly for me, and has worked from the day it hit the Dapper repos.. And I'm using Ati cards on both my desktop and laptop.

Marquis_de_Carabas
November 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Just switched from the stable to the SVN and it's working pretty damn well so far. Just need to nonchalantly close a window while one of my flatmates is watching. "What? Oh, the flames? Yeah, Linux is pretty cool, isn't it?"

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Just switched from the stable to the SVN and it's working pretty damn well so far. Just need to nonchalantly close a window while one of my flatmates is watching. "What? Oh, the flames? Yeah, Linux is pretty cool, isn't it?"

lol........I never get tired of showing mac/vista users up in the coffee shops..

Mathiasdm
November 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
I am sorry to hear that.

Maybe I'll be able to work on the open source driver in one or two years from now, but right now, I don't know enough about programming yet. :oops:

hoagie
November 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
It works perfect for me. Only some small bugs that happen very rarely, but despite that it's perfect..

xpod
November 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
When i first asked about Beryl during my first days and weeks on ubuntu i was probably given the best bits of advice i could have been given..

Wait until i at least had some grasp of the basics and also until i had a decent card rather than the crappy onboard thing i had at the time.

Being pretty new to pc`s in general and still coming to terms with what all the bits inside where for at the time i eventually conceded and took that advice.

Now with a half decent nvida card and a wee bit o savvy it`s all been pretty simple to get installed in both Dapper & Edgy.....well,simple enough to copy and paste a few commands from the numerous howto`s on pricechilds thread.:D

I assume the mods have now given up on the requests for Beryl help appearing in the "beginners section"? ... there are quite a few nowadays it seems.:D
When i asked about it a couple of months ago it was promptly removed to the General help section as it wasn`t deemed appropriate for a beginners forum.

You could say the beginners were revolting lately;)

Berly with Kiba-Dock are ok for showing off and although it does have one or two useful functions i rarely even use it now that i`ve got it....

Monkey seen monkey wanted:D

mustang
November 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Afraid not. Damn all in wonder 8500dv! :/

djsroknrol
November 23rd, 2006, 11:52 PM
I have the Intel 865G chipset and have had very few issues with Beryl..only artifacts which clear up with a simple reboot....no slowdowns or other problems.

wdaniels
November 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Beryl working well for me using Edgy amd64 with nvidia 7600GS, Athlon 64 3500+, 1GB RAM. No noticeable performance degradation. Still the occasional glitch but nothing serious - I haven't needed to restart X for a long while now, just reload Beryl from beryl-manager once or twice. Very easy to install with the new nvidia drivers - I can even run all my games without switching back to Metacity now!

A lot of the effects just become annoying after a while, but some really do help, like scale for switching between windows (particularly nice when running a fullscreen game and I want to quickly change my music or check a website etc).

My girlfriend has always hated linux simply because I spend so much time breaking/fixing/updating/fiddling with stuff, but the rotating desktop cube has caught her eye a few times and the other day she uttered the words I never thought I'd hear "do you think you could put that Ubuntu thing on my laptop for me?". Just by chance she happens to have an nvidia card in her Vaio :D I feel sorry for all those ATI owners out there :(

zgornel
November 24th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Beryl managed to **** up direct rendering for good one time. Now I use compiz and ... I'm trading my i915gm with any mobile ati available :P .

Cyraxzz
November 24th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I intend to install it after i've switched to Edgy.

ShadowVlican
November 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
works for me

i followed this guide to install it:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/nVIDIA

with the addition of adding "emerald --replace" to my startup (or else i'd get flickering borders/windows)

hardware:
AthlonXP @ 1.3GHz @ 1.1v (downclocked to save energy)
nForce2 IGP (which is something like a GeForce4 MX)
1GB dual channel DDR400

runs pretty smooth for such a slow system

Bigbluecat
November 24th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Works perfectly for me. Follow Pricechild's How To. Very clear and easy.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Works perfectly for me. Follow Pricechild's How To. Very clear and easy.

Im really suprised how many people are not having problems. Does everyone feel that their hardware is good enough? I am lucky that my hardware is good enough to not have any problems.

_simon_
November 24th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Im really suprised how many people are not having problems. Does everyone feel that their hardware is good enough? I am lucky that my hardware is good enough to not have any problems.

If I wasn't happy with the performance I wouldn't run it!

If it was laggy or gave me artefacts it would be a no, no.

System:

Athlon 3200+
1Gig PC3200
Nvidia 128Mb 6800
Res 1280x1024 @ 75

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM
If I wasn't happy with the performance I wouldn't run it!

If it was laggy or gave me artefacts it would be a no, no.

System:

Athlon 3200+
1Gig PC3200
Nvidia 128Mb 6800
Res 1280x1024 @ 75

I believe the hardware being used is paramount in the success of these packages......

catanzag
November 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Beryl works perfectly for me, better and faster than compiz, no troubles in installing it (along with Xgl) following the guides around internet (ubuntuforums, ubuntuguide or beryl.org).

It's not by default, but I use it when I don't have to do heavy jobs: I like cube and transparent terminal!!

I work with Dapper, Nvidia GeForce4 Go 32MB (driver 8774), Pentium 4M 1.7G, 768MB

pmj
November 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Where's the "does not work" option?

I can't decide whether I belong to the non-existing does not work category, or the kinda works one. It runs, but there's no way of using it for more than a couple of minutes without stumbling over a dozen bugs, from graphical glitches, window bugs or complete failures. A sure way of breaking it for me, and has been for a long time now, is to press ctrl+alt+f1 followed by ctrl+alt+f7 a couple of times. That switching between screen modes is supposed to be completely safe is something I consider basic functionality, and Beryl doesn't offer it.

cantormath
November 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Where's the "does not work" option?

I can't decide whether I belong to the non-existing does not work category, or the kinda works one. It runs, but there's no way of using it for more than a couple of minutes without stumbling over a dozen bugs, from graphical glitches, window bugs or complete failures. A sure way of breaking it for me, and has been for a long time now, is to press ctrl+alt+f1 followed by ctrl+alt+f7 a couple of times. That switching between screen modes is supposed to be completely safe is something I consider basic functionality, and Beryl doesn't offer it.

I forgot to put that one in there....sorry.

steveneddy
November 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
My system is old and runs beryl acceptably. I would like to double my memory to 1024mb, but that will be next year. My video card runs from the PCI bus, so my 3D is farthest from bleeding edge as anyone can get and still run beryl and good video.

I recommend a P4 with as much memory as you can afford, preferably at or over 1024 mb, and processor speed approaching 3.0 Ghz for truly acceptable performance for video perfection at this level.

I can still get wobbly windows and the cube and all the goodies, but some of it I have to cat back or disable to get performance that matched the capabilities of my personal system. Trailing effects and blur are two that come to mind.

Works well, waiting for a newer version.

davehat
November 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM
It used to... I followed an excellent how-to on the beryl-project wiki for Beryl/ATI/fglrx/XGL. I set an xgl session and it all worked beautifully...

Then I upgraded today to 0.1.2 and... it just doesn't work any more :(

navir
December 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Beryl has worked flawlessly. Just followed the instructions on the forums and within 10 mins had all the effects. I don't think I'm gonna stick with it though, doesnt help usability much. Just wanted to see what the linux world had to compare with vista and I have to say beryl is as good as aero glass or whatever its called, if not better

LLRNR
December 1st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Strange enough, but Beryl 0.1.2 works flawless on my old PC (1 GHz CPU + 384 MB RAM) with an old nVidia GeForce MX 4000 (64 MB) card. On Edgy.

xopher
December 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM
Works flawlessly here too -- well I have a few glitches, but that's just Beryl. Im on SVN so Im used to this.

Ubuntu 6.10 AMD64
AMD64 3800+
GeForce 6800 256MB (97.42 nvidia-glx)
1GB RAM

:)

kop316
December 1st, 2006, 08:34 PM
On my newest computer (AMD athlon 64 3500+, 1 gig RAM, Nvidia 256MB 6800GS), the only issue I get is the occasional glitch, but everyhting runs very smooth.

On my Brothers laptop (700Mhz pent 3, 256mb RAM, savage S3 Card), it does not work. the 3d drivers are messed up for it.

hanzomon4
December 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Runs perfect for me. No crashes(even when switching to vrt) slowdowns, or issues with games/videos.... This is beryl v0.1.2
p4
512mb ram
Nvidia 5500 geforce fx

vayu
December 2nd, 2006, 08:23 AM
It rocks on my laptop and two desktops. Laptop has ATI mobility x300, desktops have nVidia 6600s. It works totally acceptably on my 6 yr olds 400mhz PIII with an old nVidia GEForce4. He loves it.

RAV TUX
December 2nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Works perfect in Sabayon Linux 3.2 x86 DVD (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=308996)

mushroom
December 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
h.264 playback and 3D games are no-goes in Beryl, pretty much. Aside from that, it works perfectly, and I can switch back and forth between Beryl and KWin effortlessly for when I do need to use things like that. Unfortunately, I consider those to be essential functionality, so I had to choose the second option. Hopefully these issues will be ironed out by Feisty.

maddog39
December 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Beryl nor compiz will work period for me. All my games and stuff work fine, just the desktop effects wont.