PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations - building small form factor pc

Da5exX
April 29th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I'm going to build a small form factor pc and I want to put Ubuntu on it. Nothing fancy - it will primarily be for my parents. They do all the basic stuff like browsing with Firefox, checking email and a little Open Office work. That's about it. I like Ubuntu and think it would be ideal for them. That said, they don't have much space for it so I thought a small form factor mobo and case would be good. They also have an HP printer (not sure of the model) and want a Dell LCD monitor. Any big issues there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or recommendations.

sas
April 29th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm going to build a small form factor pc and I want to put Ubuntu on it. Nothing fancy - it will primarily be for my parents. They do all the basic stuff like browsing with Firefox, checking email and a little Open Office work. That's about it. I like Ubuntu and think it would be ideal for them. That said, they don't have much space for it so I thought a small form factor mobo and case would be good. They also have an HP printer (not sure of the model) and want a Dell LCD monitor. Any big issues there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or recommendations.
There shouldn't be any whatsoever...My SFF is fine....it runs like any other desktop....you may have to look at any integrated wireless or similar to make sure it's supported...

Da5exX
April 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Any recommendations for a SFF mobo? Video card choice, case, etc? Like to hear what you or anyone else has put together for theirs :grin:

Also, I have tried the Live CD in two different Dell Dimension desktops with LCD monitors and it seems to have trouble with both. This may be the integrated Intel video on the Dell boards or maybe the monitors displays create the problem?

Anything will be better than helping my parents with Windows ME!
Sorry, had to vent...

Again, thanks in advance for recommendations.

MetalMusicAddict
April 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I'm lookin' at the "MiniITX (http://www.mini-itx.com/)" format right now. Theres a link to their store at the top of the page. Here's another good site for buying ITX stuff also: LinITX (http://www.linitx.com/) I think they also only sell stuff that will also work with linux.