PDA

View Full Version : A Good Laptop?

codypumper
November 23rd, 2006, 05:59 AM
I'm look for a laptop that would be fully compatible with Ubuntu/linux, and would cost about $100-$200 used. Have any ideas? I'd go with one of those $100 laptops for kids, but oh well...

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm look for a laptop that would be fully compatible with Ubuntu/linux, and would cost about $100-$200 used. Have any ideas? I'd go with one of those $100 laptops for kids, but oh well...

IBM, IBM IBM IBM !!!!!!!!!!!!
t-60 is what I use.....

codypumper
November 23rd, 2006, 06:09 AM
I've been looking at the Thinkpads :D

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

Thats great.

I think that IBM is the best laptop around with Toshiba a far second.
Thinkpads have metal hinges, magnesium shells, and are lighter then just about anything out there. Good choice.

codypumper
November 23rd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Quick question. Are all Thinkpads supported by Ubuntu?
Also, from how much mhz up, do you consider reasonable cpu power?

codypumper
November 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
Another question. What would be the best place to buy one?

pitkali
November 23rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't expect problems. You can check http://thinkwiki.org for details.

1 GHz. But I'm considered to be demanding ;)

Trance Gemini
November 23rd, 2006, 07:59 AM
IBM, IBM IBM IBM !!!!!!!!!!!!
Nooooooooo way! I had my experience with IBM -it's okay, but when you touch Fujitsu-Siemens... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just look at this perfect babe: http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com/vil/pc/vil/datenblaetter/mobile/en/ds_lifebook_s7110.pdf
and some tech specs here (http://facts.fujitsu-siemens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspcontent&lid=11&page=7). Check out the weight !

I am saying so because I have the similar one, only it's 7110 model of 2002 - I love it! for it's design, it's ergonomics and it's power :)

chaosgeisterchen
November 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
And it's 100% Linux compitable?

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM

Supported when it comes to linux is such a difficult word. What I will say about IBM is that they work to make linux work on there machines.

The new box I am looking at has Generation 4 duo with 4mb cache.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Another question. What would be the best place to buy one?

Directly from IBM...
they are having a holiday sale now I believe as well.

cantormath
November 23rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
Nooooooooo way! I had my experience with IBM -it's okay, but when you touch Fujitsu-Siemens... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just look at this perfect babe: http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com/vil/pc/vil/datenblaetter/mobile/en/ds_lifebook_s7110.pdf
and some tech specs here (http://facts.fujitsu-siemens.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspcontent&lid=11&page=7). Check out the weight !

I am saying so because I have the similar one, only it's 7110 model of 2002 - I love it! for it's design, it's ergonomics and it's power :)

Kind heartedly I must tell you are crazy. IBM is hands down 1000times better the fuji....I sorry for the bad news....

pitkali
November 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
I prefer the black simplicity of my T60.

aysiu
November 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
I think you should check out these links:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

Trance Gemini
November 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
And it's 100% Linux compitable?
yes, of course! sorry, I forgot to mention this very important thing :)

I found some interesting review here (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2417) with photos and benchmarks.

mcduck
November 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
Well, I'm very happy with my Asus A6Ja. Works with Ubuntu without any problems, provides enough power for my studies as a Multimedia Designer, runs even the most recent games decently is very well built with reliable construction and all connectors in nice places.

Anyway, I thought that Lenovo dropped the official support for Linux on Thinkpads?

pitkali
November 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Anyway, I thought that Lenovo dropped the official support for Linux on Thinkpads?
Personally, I don't care. User support it quite well enough. However, my girlfriend says she saw Access Connections for Linux on T60p... (Perhaps I should check if it works on T60, I'd like some profiles in network-manager...)

PatrickMay16
November 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM
I have an IBM thinkpad T22. Though with versions of Ubuntu newer than Breezy, starting X will hard freeze the machine unless you add something to the Xorg.conf file.

mips
November 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM

Someone made a statement to that effect only to be retracted shortly afterwards. You can actually buy a thinkpad with Linux support from Lenovo.

http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?articleId=188701277
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=188701694
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/08/1336205

http://www.lenovo.com/news/us/en/2006/08/t60p.html
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-48NT8D&sitestyle=lenovo

Spif
November 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I have used a lot of different laptops, as I'm the guy people go to when they have technical difficulties.

Thinkpads are by far the best built laptops around. You simply won't find any that are near Thinkpad quality.

I'm so happy with my X60s, while my dad is very, very satisfied with his T60.

bionicyeti
November 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'm a linux newbie and I use a 3 or 4 year old Dell Latitude C840. Everything worked right out of the box. Builtin wireless, video, sound... everything. I needed to do zero hardware config.

mtpadilla
November 23rd, 2006, 08:47 PM

I agree w/ the previous posts about IBMs. I have a T42 that is really an awesome machine...a nice simplified black aesthetic, excellent warranty service, and has worked flawlessly with Ubuntu. All of the volume buttons, etc. on the laptop work well without any fidgeting around also.

One issue I would mention, however, is that the video card is ATI, not Nvidia. I bring this up because it seems that 3d acceleration support is better with Nvidia than w/ ATI. Looking at forum posts, it seems that you can definitely get it working with ATI, but just takes some hacking around.

I'll note that I used to have a Dell which I used to use with Suse and it also worked very well with Linux. It also has NVidia video cards, which in my limited experience was easy to set up in linux. However, I think the Dell build quality is not that hot....

Hope this helps.

codypumper
November 24th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Well, looks like I'll be looking out for a T60 on sale, discounted preferrably. Thanks!

codypumper
November 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I do have one more question. Has anyone had problems with the t60's ati card?

dca
November 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
The best laptop is a free laptop (or one that you didn't spend too much money on)...

IBM/Lenovo are probably the best quality-build wise...

codypumper
November 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
dca, I don't suppose you have a laptop you can give me, do you?

dca
November 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately, no... I'm using it right now...:mrgreen:

mtpadilla
November 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Well, looks like I'll be looking out for a T60 on sale, discounted preferrably. Thanks!

Perhaps others have had different mileage through this source, but I've had good luck buying all my laptops thus far through Ebay. I've managed to get very good deals there. Do be careful to make sure you know who you're buying from...and if it looks too good to be true....well, you know the adage. Still, I've gotten v. nice prices there.

Good luck. Later you'll have to update us with what you got and how it went...

mips
November 24th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Also look here, http://thinkpads.com/start.htm

A very good thinkpad resource, http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

chaosgeisterchen
November 24th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Question:

IBM doubtlessly provides awesome Linux support compared to other manufacturers. But as Lenovo took over their business I am not worried about the Linux support, more about the decreasing quality I more and more hear about. The T42 was ultra rock solid but the T60 started to decrease in quality as the materials weren't as high qualitative as used with the T42. This trend could be followed further in order to achieve lower prices.

Will the ThinkPads of the future still be the invincible machines they were in former years or is it true that the quality is substantially decresing since Lenovo sold the company?

Ubunted
November 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I've had two used ThinkPads, an A22m and my current X30. Both worked extremely well with Ubuntu - in fact better than Windows.

My advice is to try and find one with an onboard Intel graphics chip. The one problem I had with my A22m was its ancient ATI Rage Moility P/M device and the complete lack of drivers. However the Intel adapter in my current X30 works beautifully out of the box.

zachtib
November 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM
My advice is to try and find one with an onboard Intel graphics chip. The one problem I had with my A22m was its ancient ATI Rage Moility P/M device and the complete lack of drivers. However the Intel adapter in my current X30 works beautifully out of the box.

I concur, and most every thinkpad today is available with an Intel video card

pitkali
November 25th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'd like to add that I don't have problems with my T60's ATI X1300. The only thing needed is ati driver installation.

mips
November 25th, 2006, 10:53 AM
The T42 was ultra rock solid but the T60 started to decrease in quality as the materials weren't as high qualitative as used with the T42. This trend could be followed further in order to achieve lower prices.

Will the ThinkPads of the future still be the invincible machines they were in former years or is it true that the quality is substantially decresing since Lenovo sold the company?

I have heard similair rumours but how much truth is there in those rumours ? Do we have facts ?

Is this not a well it's made in China therefore it much be shite sentiment we see so often.

Who made the thinkpads for IBM. I always thought Lenovo was one of the companies that made the thinkpads for IBM.

MAybe someone can answer these questions.

pitkali
November 25th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I can only say my T60 is better built than my previous Fujitsu. I'm fully satisfied customer :)

codypumper
November 25th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Oooh,ooh. Has anyone tried an x22?

mips
November 25th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Oooh,ooh. Has anyone tried an x22?

No, but the insides are the same as the other models. That model is relatively old, PIII, and probably on has USB1.1

They are known for their ultra portability and loved by those that need something light they can lug around all day long.

codypumper
November 25th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm just thinking. Looking for something cheap really, I'd get the t60 if I could find it cheap. Is there something more powerful than a x22 and cheaper than a t60? I defiantly want a thinkpad though.

mips
November 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I'm just thinking. Looking for something cheap really, I'd get the t60 if I could find it cheap. Is there something more powerful than a x22 and cheaper than a t60? I defiantly want a thinkpad though.

You are not asking for much, that list is pretty long I would say.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Hardware_Specifications

Have a look at the above list, stick to the t, x & z models. The bigger the model number the newer(more advanced) the laptop. See one you like, go and price it on ebay or the web to get an idea.

What exactly is your budget or max budget ? This way we could give your better recommendations.

Spif
November 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
The IBM vs Lenevo quality has been discussed a lot on forum.thinkpads.com, a forum that consists of loads of Thinkpads geeks. The majority agrees that the quality has NOT decreased since Lenevo took over IBM's PC division.

mips
November 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
The IBM vs Lenevo quality has been discussed a lot on forum.thinkpads.com, a forum that consists of loads of Thinkpads geeks. The majority agrees that the quality has NOT decreased since Lenevo took over IBM's PC division.

Thanks, I actually posted a link to that site above. Nice site though.

xmastree
November 26th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I bought a s/h Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 on Ebay. £42 but no hard disk or PSU. With those included, expect to pay about £80.
It runs ubuntu (dapper or edgy) just fine with Gnome, everything works. My really old (P233) toshiba has sound issues (Yam opl3) but this one's fine.

I just wish it had a touchpad mouse instead of that nipple thing.

Old Pink
November 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I'd go with one of those $100 laptops for kids, but oh well...

As would I! Can we buy those yet? :)

Bartender
November 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
stick to the t, x & z models.

Are the "N"'s inferior? I know there are several versions of the 3000N. Saw some ads this week that looked pretty reasonable.

zachtib
November 26th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Are the "N"'s inferior? I know there are several versions of the 3000N. Saw some ads this week that looked pretty reasonable.

the 3000 series are the "Lenovo" series, and aren't actually thinkpads. Among other things, I believe they use Broadcom wireless cards rather than Atheros, and the overall quality seems lower. I'd stay away

mips
November 26th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'd stay away

Agreed. If you go to the Lenovo website and click on laptops you would have two options, 'thinkpads' and 'lenovo laptops'. go to the Thinkpad section and look at the different models there.

codypumper
November 26th, 2006, 10:55 PM
The T20 looks good, cheap too. Anyone tried one of those?

codypumper
November 26th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Or a T22. A T22 looks perfect, fits everything I need. If anyone has one, I'd like to hear of their experience!

zachtib
November 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Or a T22. A T22 looks perfect, fits everything I need. If anyone has one, I'd like to hear of their experience!

The T series is Thinkpads "Top of the Line" series, and as it's an older model, I'd expect it to work flawlessly with Linux

Ubunted
November 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
You might want to look at something SLIGHTLY faster. My A22m had a 1Ghz P-3 and PC100 RAM and there was a decidedly annoying delay when it had to load icons in the GNOME menus. My current 1.2Ghz PC133 X30 is noticeably faster. Of course, you could always use Xubuntu.

Just remember to upgrade the RAM. 128MB is not enough for ANYTHING these days.

Also the 4200RPM drives that come in most (all?) old Thinkpads can be easily replaced by larger, faster and quieter hard drives. I have bought two Samsung 80GB 5400RPM drives for both of my Thinkpads and have been extremely happy with them. While not the fastest they are easily the quietest - in my (thicker) A22m the drive was almost completely silent, and neither affected battery performance in a noticeable way.

mips
November 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM
On an older laptop i would rather run something like Fluxbox, Openbox instead of Gnome/KDE/XFCE.

Besides that i would get a 7200rpm HD & more RAM, you can never have to much RAM :mrgreen:

meldroc
November 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I'm currently laptop-shopping, though I have a bit more money to spend than the OP. I was looking into buying a ThinkPad T60, but the problem I have with them is that they only offer Intel GPUs (dog slow) or ATI GPUs (slow and buggy drivers) and after looking into how many people are fighting with the ATIs, I decided I really wanted an nVidia GPU, which Lenovo doesn't put into ThinkPads. (I know how to make nVidias work.)

So ThinkPads are out. Right now, the top contender is System76's Serval laptop, with a Core 2 Duo and an nVidia 7600. System76 has a forum right here on Ubuntu Forums, and they build nothing but Linux systems. They come with Edgy pre-installed, and there's no Microsoft Tax! Prices seemed very reasonable.

Of course, if anyone can top the System76 Serval, I'd want to hear about it, but for me, they're even beating the ThinkPads.

cmorgan47
November 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
i don't get system76. i just priced out the Serval with identical specs to a dell e1505* (dual core 2 1.83, 1gb, 80g sata) and even with the "Microsoft Tax" the dell is $921 and the system76 is $1458. is preconfigured linux worth $537?

*i know you stated you didn't want ATI, but this was just to compare prices...and an nVidia card won't make up the 537 either.
[edit]
an HP with the same specs and an nVidia card is under $900, though it's an AMD chip

mips
November 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
i don't get system76. i just priced out the Serval with identical specs to a dell e1505* (dual core 2 1.83, 1gb, 80g sata) and even with the "Microsoft Tax" the dell is $921 and the system76 is $1458. is preconfigured linux worth $537?

I agree, it's absolute BS. Just go buy an Asus, as they sell rebranded asus laptops. Ok, it has linux pre-installed but at that price you can keep linux. With asus you also do not have to buy windows with it.

Ubunted
November 29th, 2006, 08:50 PM
System76 is more expensive because they don't build and ship millions of computers per year and don't get the kind of volume discounts a major OEM does.

What they DO give you is a quality product and top-notch service and support, something you will NEVER get from a single-PC sale from "Indian-call-centres" Dell.

cmorgan47
November 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM
sure, of course there's some economy of scale there, but a 50% increase? they're not hand crafting these things. and, as folks here always preaching, there's no "windows tax." it's pretty difficult to pitch this as an advantage when the only company of notoriaty selling a linux box is that much more expensive. they're sortof making macs look reasonable.* it really looks like there's a linux tax.

as far as service goes, i've honestly only had to call tech support once in the last decade and, i think, once before that. hardware issue for an out of warranty server, dell fedexed the part overnight. maybe i was lucky, but the other side of this is that i call tech support infrequently enough--as i think most people do--that "good support" simply isn't worth paying half again as much for equivalent hardware. plus, you can get pretty much any other brand and the extended "swap it out" warranty for less.

*disclaimer: running linux on an iBook and homebuilt server, preach the word and convert the infidels at every opportunity....4 new converts in the last 2 months.

mips
November 29th, 2006, 10:07 PM
System76 is more expensive because they don't build and ship millions of computers per year and don't get the kind of volume discounts a major OEM does.

What they DO give you is a quality product and top-notch service and support, something you will NEVER get from a single-PC sale from "Indian-call-centres" Dell.

I don't care. The product is the same as the Asus one so your argument about quality goes out the window. The only tech support I ever called was MS and that was about 3 times, The other was the Cisco TAC for work many times. Never used tech support for my own hardware.

meldroc
November 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Where is everyone finding notebooks equivalent to System76 Servals that are $500 cheaper? Don't tell me Dell. I'm sure as hell not buying Dell. I've seen too many crappy Dell consumer machines in the hands of family members who don't know any better, and had to deal with their crappy tech support too many times, so they're not getting my business. Neither is HP/Compaq, eMachines, Gateway or any other big-volume corner-cutting manufacturer who's inspired by the business model of Packard Bell.

In other words, I want a NICE laptop. Maybe $500 is too much of a price premium for me, but I'm not getting a chain-store machine that's physically falling apart, has miniscule computing power, RAM and HD, and is preloaded with tons of crap.

OK, so I hear that Dell's business offerings aren't nearly the junk you get at Best Buy, but I still don't like Dell.

cmorgan47
November 29th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Where is everyone finding notebooks equivalent to System76 Servals that are $500 cheaper?

as stated about half a dozen posts up...dell, and hp. they were the first two i checked out.

Don't tell me Dell... HP/Compaq, eMachines, Gateway.... Packard Bell....chain-store machine...Best Buy

anyone else you want to exclude there? "i want a car for under 20k and don't tell me GM, ford, toyota, honda, ....."

well, i'll check...

[later]
well asus (http://store.agearnotebooks.com/asusz92t.html)seems to have everything they do and more for under 1200....not suprising if mips is correct.

meldroc
November 29th, 2006, 11:36 PM
The Asus machines don't look half bad, and as mentioned, a lot of the smaller shops like System76 build on Asus white-box chassis.

I'll look into the Asus laptops, though I can still be sold on a System76 laptop if I can be persuaded that the price premium is worthwhile. They do seem to have tech support that's decently skilled, posting here on the forums, rather than outsourced script monkeys who barely know English, who'll tell you to reinstall the drivers and reboot when you call to tell them your laptop's caught fire.

I'm good enough with computers that I can usually fix things myself, though if there's a hardware failure (which happens fairly often for me, no matter who I buy from), it's nice to have tech support that will warranty replace the defective hardware with working hardware, correctly, the first time, every time. Too many times, I've sent an obviously defective component back for warranty replacement, and received either the same bad component back with a note "No problem found", or received defective replacements multiple times in a row. (THAT MEANS YOU, AOPEN AND ALIENWARE!!!) I will spend good money if I can be reasonably assured that if there is a problem, it will be fixed quickly, competently and permanently.

The shopping process for laptops is frustrating. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of different laptops out there. The vast majority of them I will reject for one reason or another - maybe for being too expensive, or for having not enough CPU power or memory, or for having a video card that's slow or doesn't play well with Linux, or for being made by a company with business practices that **** me off, or have lousy support, etc. Just when I do my homework and think I've found a laptop that I can live with, all of the sudden, I hear someone say "I can get the same thing for $500 cheaper." At least I heard that before I made the purchase, not after... I'm sure that whatever I end up deciding on, I'll either be fighting with it because the Linux drivers suck, or I'll have paid too much, or everyone will be showing me up with their laptops that are twice as powerful and half as expensive, just after I get mine. Guess I just can't win...

Well, for more of a hint of what I am willing to pay, and what I do want, I am willing to pay $1500 - $2000 for a laptop, and I want something with a Core 2 Duo, at least 1GB of RAM, maybe 2, a large hard drive (80-100GB) since I'll likely be dual-booting, and a decent nVidia GPU, maybe a 7600 (I know I can get nVidia cards working decently, but I've heard horrible things about ATIs, and the Intel GPUs like the 950 are just too anemic for gaming.) I'll bet that I can get a smokin' Asus laptop for that much. I just have to shop around and find some.

Edit: Just looked at your link, cmorgan47. Mmmmmm, Asus A8Js... Anyone know of problems with this one? It seems to have what I want...

Zenmind
November 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
the guys at system 76 know enough to be dangerous so the tech support is less than stellar. Matter of fact, they disourage new users to ask too many questions and they wil tell you we do not offer real support.

I have 3 friends who have dealt with them. 1 friend sent it back the same day. The other two were very disappointed. 1 gave his laptop to someone else, and the other guy installed windows on it. Too many issues and no support.

there are IM/Lenovo thinkpads that you can get for $565 on sale now - celerons 512 ram, actually 1 GB - free ram upgrade and $30 for a intel wireless pro card. total with free shipping $684.38 for a 1.6 ghz. machine. I just bought one today!

check it out!

jimrz
November 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM

best thing out there ...my T42 loves ubuntu and vice versa ... also I still have my older 600x (pIII 500 - 384 Mb Ram) happily running Ubuntu dapper ... actually runs gnome better than it did win2k before, although I most often use xfce4 (not Xubuntu, just the WM + thunar/mousepad + try to stay with lighter weight apps like abiword/gnumeric) rather than the default gnome setup because it does seem a bit quicker. Also, the 600x is a great machine (excellent build quality and damn near bullet proof) that likely can found in the OP's price range. If the specs will meet your needs ( I think some of the last ones were pIII 850's, and the earlier ones can be inexpensively modded to accept the facter proc.), it might be an option.

Mimsy
November 30th, 2006, 04:17 AM
I found this site a while back, and it occurred to me that a lot of the posters in this thread might be interested, so I thought I'd share it:

http://www.usedlaptops.com/

I know where I'm getting my next laptop. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest to run Xubuntu, who just happens to out-perform Windows XP in every way, every chance it gets. ;)

/Mimsy

mips
November 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Where is everyone finding notebooks equivalent to System76 Servals that are $500 cheaper? Don't tell me Dell. I'm sure as hell not buying Dell. I've seen too many crappy Dell consumer machines in the hands of family members who don't know any better, and had to deal with their crappy tech support too many times, so they're not getting my business. Neither is HP/Compaq, eMachines, Gateway or any other big-volume corner-cutting manufacturer who's inspired by the business model of Packard Bell.

I did a cost comparison once. I went to sites where you could build the same Asus base model up to System76 specs. I did not go to all sites but came to a price $300 cheaper and sligtly better specs.

You are kinda out of luck as most laptop manufaturers are big volume. You might not find a laptop at all. The smaller unknown brands are usually really crap imho, 6mnths down the line you might not get them any more or you won't be able to find spares.

I have a HP but would rather have an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad as I believe3 you don't really get better. I've used Compaq/HP laptops all my life and never ever had a failure on any of them. I would prefer a Thinkpad though.

Something that looks nice but not widely available, http://www2.zepto.com/Country/Default.aspx

Stuff like dell, packard-bell, mecer, acer etc I would not touch though.

meldroc
November 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I am now officially drooling over the Asus A8Js 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor w/ 4Mb cache, NVidia GeForce Go7700 GPU with 512Mb video RAM, 1GB main memory, 100GB hard disk, Wi-Fi, gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth 2.0, a DVI video port, etc. This machine is smokin'!

And I've used Asus stuff before (motherboards, previously) - their build quality is much higher than Dell, eMachines or HP/Compaq.

mustang
December 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I'd like to add that I don't have problems with my T60's ATI X1300. The only thing needed is ati driver installation.

I apologize to bring up an old thread.

pitkali: I'm planning on getting the same laptop with the same video card, the X1300. Did you have any problems getting XGL working? Would I be better off with the Intel video?

Did you have any problems setting up the buttons? Did hibernate work as well?

Thanks in advance.

aysiu
December 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM
the guys at system 76 know enough to be dangerous so the tech support is less than stellar. Matter of fact, they disourage new users to ask too many questions and they wil tell you we do not offer real support.

I have 3 friends who have dealt with them. 1 friend sent it back the same day. The other two were very disappointed. 1 gave his laptop to someone else, and the other guy installed windows on it. Too many issues and no support. May I ask when your friends dealt with them? At least two active forum members have bought from System 76 and seemed quite happy with the experience. And whenever I see a question in the System 76 part of the forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158), Carl Richell seems to answer it within a day, if not hours. That seems like pretty good support to me.

I'm just wondering if things have changed since your 3 friends dealt with them or if the support is just all over the place (great for some, terrible for others).

Here are the two active forum members:
my new linux laptop (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=191984)
My new system76 gazelle value laptop (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=215690)

Here's a random blog review of System 76, yoo:
review of system76 (http://demian0311.blogspot.com/2006/04/review-of-system76.html)

I did a cost comparison once. I went to sites where you could build the same Asus base model up to System76 specs. I did not go to all sites but came to a price $300 cheaper and sligtly better specs. You've said this on a number of occasions, and I've taken you at your word, but I've had a really hard time tracking this down. Can you post a link to a website where you can get a System 76 model laptop that you don't have to physically assemble yourself, that costs $300 cheaper than the equivalent System 76 model, and that isn't backordered?

I did a search for asus whitebox laptops (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=asus+whitebox+laptops+&btnG=Google+Search) and came up with a number of links, but in all cases, the laptops were one or more of the following:
1. Not currently available
2. Actually the same price as System 76
3. In need of assembly by the customer

The other thing to keep in mind, too, is that apparently not all ASUS laptops have great Ubuntu support:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptopsAsus

Most seem to work just fine out of the box. Others have serious issues. I don't know if you can actually substantiate the claim that there's a $300 price difference between a no-OS ASUS laptop and its System76 equivalent (or if maybe that was only true months or years ago--whenever you did the comparison), but if it's true, it would be nice to make it a bit easier for people to not have to do all the research to save that $300... and then have to physically assemble the laptop themselves.

mips
December 10th, 2006, 09:45 PM
You've said this on a number of occasions, and I've taken you at your word, but I've had a really hard time tracking this down. Can you post a link to a website where you can get a System 76 model laptop that you don't have to physically assemble yourself, that costs $300 cheaper than the equivalent System 76 model, and that isn't backordered?

aysiu, I wish I did keep the links but unfortunately I did not. The websites i went to usually start off with the barebones laptop and then you add the pieces online, when you are done it gives a list of everything you chose and the price.

If it might help one of my starting points was the ASUS website and a followed the link 'where to buy' or something. I also use a google search. At the time I used the EXACT same model numbers System76 were selling.

Maybe i should revisit the exercise. Someone just tell me the current asus models they are sell. This time I will keep the links.

aysiu
December 11th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Well, I'll keep looking, too, and see if I can figure out what you might have found.

Is it possible that what you found no longer exists?

pitkali
December 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I'm planning on getting the same laptop with the same video card, the X1300. Did you have any problems getting XGL working?
I don't use XGL, so I know nothing of this. Just remember that drivers are AFAIR not aiglx compatible, so you have to use something else, beryl for instance. I think the ati howto for ubuntu was already mentioned on this thread - maybe you could find there more information on this subject.

Did you have any problems setting up the buttons? Did hibernate work as well?
Buttons worked out of the box. Concerning the hibernate - you need to use the newest ati drivers. Those in Edgy break hibernate. You also have to disable conservative cpufreq module and ensure, you are using userspace module for controlling CPU frequency. Otherwise suspend will not work.

You can find more details on http://thinkwiki.org. I used information there to set up irda for instance.

Regards,

mips
December 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Is it possible that what you found no longer exists?

Thats quite possible I would say.

codypumper
December 26th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Thank you everyone!
I got a T23 and its faster than my desktop with ubuntu.
Everything works, and very fast!
:D

meldroc
December 29th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Just to follow up, I did end up pulling the trigger on an Asus A8Js laptop, upgraded to 2GB RAM and a 7200RPM 100GB hard disk, also with built-in Bluetooth.

Got it on MilestonePC.com - they're very reputable, and delivered exactly what I ordered on time (though UPS was delayed by a blizzard here in Colorado, so I had to wait a little longer. Not their fault though.)

I paid approx $1788 overall (they have a $100 instant rebate) plus shipping and tax, so the total bill was roughly $1850.

It's now running 64-bit Kubuntu quite nicely. Everything seems to be working so far, though I'm having teething problems in that I'm trying to get 32-bit Firefox working so I can have Flash, mplayer movies and Java (GAAA!!! Hurry up and recompile for 64-bit, developers!!!)