PDA

View Full Version : Programming

ESPOiG
November 22nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
allrighty thought i would ask since i cant really find what im looking for :D

i know html and css not perfectly but pretty good :P, and i taught myself so i can get there, but later on in life i plan on going back to study programming, but in the mean time im doing an apprenticeship in butchering :P, so i sorta wanted to try and learn what i can about some programming languages, i looked around but it didnt really help me all i found out was that BASH programming was good to start with, just what i need is an easy to use website for step by step programming help and pretty much starting at the beginning sorta like programming for dummies :D.

i know of languages like C C++ Java etc, but i was just wondering does anyone know of websites or books(e) that are good for starting off with this sorta thing, i would prefer to do all this in linux

Hello World! is always a good starting point :P

anyway thanx for any help that i can get, it was worth a shot

frup
November 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
you could start with PHP to complement your HTML and CSS.

ESPOiG
November 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
is PHP worth it or it just a Web thing??

Biggus
November 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think the main benifit of using PHP in web design is that it permits you to then manipulate data in an SQL database.

There are probably loads of other things you can do with it as well, please do excuse my ignorance.

hod139
November 22nd, 2006, 02:54 PM
You should browse the Programming Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39) sub-forum, where this question has been asked before. Maybe a mod can move this thread there too??

slimdog360
November 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think the main benifit of using PHP in web design is that it permits you to then manipulate data in an SQL database.

woops sorry

cmorgan47
November 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
php is well suited for web programming, and yes, one of it's strongest points is mysql connectivity. it's also a decent scripting languange with a better syntax, imho, than bash; it's more similar in syntax to the compiled languages you mentioned at least.

another good option would be to try python as it has several packages which will allow you to easily write gui apps on a linux box.

if you get into compiled* languages, i'd start with java rather than c/c++. the libraries it comes with will make it far easier to get started with a strongly typed proper coding language without getting bogged down in the complexities inherent in c/c++.

*yeah, i know it's not compiled, but you get the point.

B0rsuk
November 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
http://del.icio.us/b0rsuk/programming

Specifically, I recommend 'Learn Python in 10 minutes' first.

Burgresso
November 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
For learning, I'd stay away from PHP. I use it almost daily, but it is the devil. Learn the skill and art of programming, then try PHP. It's so dirty as a programming language. The advantage of PHP is that its uber-easy - many languages interface with SQL; there is nothing special with the way PHP does it.

This ease of use is also its disadvantage. It makes it hard (not impossible) to use for large, complicated sites.

Python is a good language though!

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
If you want to do web stuff, I have always found http://www.w3schools.com to be a great resource for beginner tutorials.
Since you mentioned HTML and CSS, do you know any Javascript? It is quite a fun language IMO. It has a syntax similar to C. You might as well complete that triumvirate.

You could also look into learning some SQL.
Being familiar with XML is always handy too.

cmorgan47
November 22nd, 2006, 07:36 PM
....it is the devil.........
This ease of use is also its disadvantage.

could not agree more.
currently writing the back end of a site for a friend in it too.

Burgresso
November 23rd, 2006, 12:49 AM
could not agree more.
currently writing the back end of a site for a friend in it too.

Yea, it tricks you b/c it seems easy, but gets sloppy and difficult really quick!

ComplexNumber
November 23rd, 2006, 12:54 AM
For learning, I'd stay away from PHP. I use it almost daily, but it is the devil. Learn the skill and art of programming, then try PHP. It's so dirty as a programming language. The advantage of PHP is that its uber-easy - many languages interface with SQL; there is nothing special with the way PHP does it.

This ease of use is also its disadvantage. It makes it hard (not impossible) to use for large, complicated sites.

Python is a good language though!
so php is an easy and relatively readable version of perl then? agree about python.

for learning, i would recommend staying away from perl and C/C++. python is probably best. lisp is good if you want something very different to everything that you've done so far and you want to experiement. not goodf for learning, though.

darkhatter
November 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM
be a man start with C

Dual Cortex
November 23rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
be a man start with C

ahem... be a strong, healthy, intelligent young man and start with C++.

Actually I recommend starting with VB (oh yeah, these are the Ubuntu forums... oh well). That's how I started some years ago, transition to C++ was very easy. Concepts are what matter the most at first, learning the syntax is the easy part.

But since it seems that you already know the programming concepts, just switch straight to C++!

kuja
November 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM
I for one, found it painful to switch from VB to C++. A switch I don't regret.

Starting off with something like C++ or Java is probably a good idea. So, to the OP, Head First Java is a nice book for programming beginners. Why a Java book? Becuase it's well written, not overly complicated, and it will force you to learn things and develop good habits.

baskinalaskin
November 23rd, 2006, 03:28 AM
www.w3schools.com

This is a great website to learn programming, SQL, html, xml, etc. A ton of good info, check it out!!

BaskinAlaskin

Dual Cortex
November 23rd, 2006, 03:47 AM
www.w3schools.com

This is a great website to learn programming, SQL, html, xml, etc. A ton of good info, check it out!!

BaskinAlaskin

Repost!
;)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1793136&postcount=10

B0rsuk
November 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I already recommended Python, but... I hate to say this, you should also learn C at some point. The reason is that it's the latin of computer languages. Once you learn C, learning many other languages comes natural. For example Javascript has a lot in common with C.

So, it would be
Python for fun and usability, Object Oriented programming
C for some challenge, Procedural programming

3rdalbum
November 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Start with either Python (my favourite) or Javascript (also a very nice language, incredibly useful on the web)

bonzini
November 24th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Start with Python. You can do anything you want in it, relatively elegantly. Or if elegance really appeals to you, Ruby or even Smalltalk.

Java is wonderful, I use it all the time, but the Python learning curve is way smaller.

Learn to design things. Gather requirements. Forget web stuff for awhile.

If you really want to learn the fundamentals, read Griswold on Icon or Wirth on Pascal or Knuth.

If you really want to learn Java, read Gosling. If you really want to learn C, read Kernighan and Ritchie.