PDA

View Full Version : Fubuntu?

Crooksey
November 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
Ubuntu and progress forward.

Ubuntu a great distro as it is, still lacks one series of Linux users, those who only use a lightweight window manager, recently Kubuntu and Xubuntu have been huge due to the fact people can use the Ubuntu distro, with a choice of window managers.

I feel that Ubuntu could appeal to many more people, by adding a Ubuntu desktop package that only contains a lightweight window manager, and then say the standard Debian installer, without the system functioning as a LiveCD.

Why? Because this would let people with a lot older hardware install up-to-date versions of Ubuntu, without having to bog their system down with Gnome/XFCE/KDE libraries and packages.

So what lightweight window manager? Well I thought about this, and I feel the most commonly used lightweight window manager is Fluxbox, so I thought about this some more, and funnily enough came up with “Fubuntu” and to install via apt as the “Fubuntu-desktop”, I feel this would be a good choice of window manager as it is the most commonly used, and installing it wont take to much space, and people could then go onto install other window managers and desktop packages from their.

I think that the debian installer would be best, as then people with a lot older hardware may take a while to load a LiveCD, and the debian installer would be a lot faster.

What will this achieve? Like I said before people who don’t wont a bulky window manager and still want Ubuntu, can have it, without un-necessary files.

So why not just build from the server install? We all know that this isn’t the same, and I personally feel that in doing this or a project similar can touch more Linux and Windows users with the Ubuntu Magic!

KDM or GDM? Thats easy, XDM.

Just my thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

What do you think?

23meg
November 22nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.fluxbuntu.org/

Crooksey
November 22nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Haha, thats cool, offically would be nice though.

cantormath
November 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
I think linux as a whole lacks users...
Blame Microsoft.

rbalfour
November 22nd, 2006, 11:35 AM
I think linux as a whole lacks users...
Blame Microsoft.

You really can't blame M$ anymore. The blame should be on the hardcore Linux users. We as a whole spend to much time trying to tell people Linux is this or that, then turn around and tell the same people, "oh you use Gnome, you really should use KDE" or vice versa. Then when a really good distro comes out, what do we as a group do. Make more Distros. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xbuntu, fluxbuntu and so on. That just confuses the hell out of the lay-men. What WE as a group should do, is convert as many Windows users as we can and let them explore the Linux Universe, don't you remember your first install, how exciting it was. The hardcores need to step back and create/find solution to issues in Linux. ie, Something rival Visio, MS Project. Move Linux from the basement geek movement to a Business-class system. Servers, Desktops, Laptops. Linux everywhere.

Take a close look at Apple. They haven't created a "new" system, just put a snazzy, clean interface to a *nix. With M$ partnering with Novell, you can expect to see them follow suit. Don't get surprised when the next version of windows server is driven by a Linux-based kernel.

Let's put the blame where it belongs with US, the Linux users.

23meg
November 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/unifiedlinux

That just confuses the hell out of the lay-men.Then so be it. There will always be an abundance of choice in this land and that's good for the lay men, believe it or not.

rbalfour
November 22nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/unifiedlinux

Then so be it. There will always be an abundance of choice in this land and that's good for the lay men, believe it or not.

Let me set the record straight on this. Just like many people in the past have tried to free the users from mega-corp hold on us. It has become clear, we as Linux users are nothing but a rag-tag band of fools on a fool's errand.

Now if you want to read a real article on the direction that should be taken.

http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB

Face it, everything needs standards, spinning off distros isn't the way to go.

and to install via apt as the “Fubuntu-desktop”

Yes, this is a good idea. The user gets a choice, which is what Linux is based on. But BUILT on a standard.

23meg
November 22nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
LSB-wise there's no difference between having an officially supported fubuntu-desktop package that's optionally installable and shipping a Fubuntu distro, or doing both, as long as they both conform to LSB, and making both conform to LSB wouldn't be double work.

Whether or nor LSB is the one and only standard that should be followed, or what benefit it really provides can be the subject of another discussion. Ubuntu isn't very keen on the binary compatibility side of LSB certification, thus may not pursue it actively in the future. If you think this is a problem, start an appropriately titled thread to discuss it.