PDA

View Full Version : Asus OR Gigabyte?

Sunnz
November 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM
I need to get a new socket 939 motherboard for ADM64 Chip.

I am thinking of Asus or Gigabyte.

I asked my local shop, they said that Asus has high failure rate and recommends Gigabyte.

Well considering my current board, which is Asus, has fried, it seems to have some truth in my local shop's comment.

What would you recommend, why?

steven8
November 22nd, 2006, 08:03 AM
I do not know about those boards, but my ECS board has been in service since 2001, so I like it's durability. Here is a link to a blog for ECS motherboards for socket 939:

http://mothe.hybu.org/

Sunnz
November 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Oh ok, I'll look up ECS too!!

Yea, if you think there are any other better brand, please post!! THanks!!

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
Well, I voted for gigabyte, although I'm not sure why. I consider them equal in quality.

I personally think it would be pretty awesome to try out LinuxBIOS, so the next motherboard I buy just might be one of the supported models.
http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards

drphilngood
November 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
...I personally think it would be pretty awesome to try out LinuxBIOS, so the next motherboard I buy just might be one of the supported models.
http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards

Thanks for the link, Peepsalot.
I plan on buying one, too; looking forward to it.

I voted Asus, BTW.

kripkenstein
November 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
In the last few years I've used Gigabyte motherboards, and they have worked just fine. I have less experience with Asus, though, so I can't really compare.

PatrickMay16
November 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
I got a Gigabyte motherboard in September 2002. In June 2005 it died due to blown capacitors... After this I will not trust Gigabyte. I would go with ABit.
Heh heh heh heh heh heh.

bigken
November 22nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
in recent months I have built 30 systems for clients 20 on gigabyte
and 10 on asus the ratio of failure has being 1 gigabyte board blown
and 2 asus blown so I say gigabyte ;)

MedivhX
November 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
And what about MSI??? I voted ASUS but I think thery're equal...

kuja
November 22nd, 2006, 12:11 PM
I've not done enough building &c to be of much use, however, I've not had any trouble with my ASUS A8N SLI board.

mips
November 22nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
I've only use two asus boards in my life, both of them died prematurely. Therefore no more asus for me.

All my other MBs have been gigabyte and none failed on me.

Dual Cortex
November 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
I vote Gigabyte simply because I like how overclockable the 965P-S3 is at a price of only ~$115.
I would say they are about equal.

Sunnz
November 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Looks like I gotta to go with Gigabyte.

For those who use Gigabyte, is the cooling system good?

Thanks guys!!!

prizrak
November 22nd, 2006, 03:06 PM
I never worked with ASUS but has used Gigabyte before quite successfully :)

mips
November 22nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
For those who use Gigabyte, is the cooling system good?

What cooling system are you referring to ?

to4i
November 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM
Asus are better for overclock, and better stability

Christmas
November 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I'm using Asus for two years. I think it's a great brand, if I were you I'd go for Asus. Also, I heard that one of the leading manufacturers in CD-RW are TEAC. Well, I bought one Teac CD-RW and a DVD-ROM, the first one stopped working after less than one year, the other one works but not as it should. So I tried my luck with an Asus CD-RW (and they are well known for motherboards, not disks readers and writers) and it works very well. I don't know why your board fried, but give it another try.

mips
November 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
So I tried my luck with an Asus CD-RW (and they are well known for motherboards, not disks readers and writers) and it works very well.

I doubt asus actually made that cd writer. It's probably a mechanism from another company they stuck their name to. Plextor drives are supposed to be good but expensive.

bonzodog
November 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
I built this system on an MSI mobo, with an AMD64 3000+ proc. Has been very good, system also has an MSI DVD/RW drive.

futz
November 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
I need to get a new socket 939 motherboard for ADM64 Chip.

I am thinking of Asus or Gigabyte.
Both good, reliable brands. Gigabyte has a bit better bang for the buck in accessories and stuff they supply with the board, so I tend to prefer them. But Asus builds pretty good boards too. They were doing a merger, so they may even be all one company by now.

I asked my local shop, they said that Asus has high failure rate and recommends Gigabyte.
That's a new one! I've always heard that Asus was very reliable. And I've had zero problems with the dozens of systems I've built with both Asus and Gigabyte boards.

Velotix
November 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
I've had no end of trouble with Asus boards in the past, through it's possible that the reliability of the board depends on where it was built, as opposed to which company built it.

I'm using a Gigabyte board now with no problems so far.

MedivhX
November 22nd, 2006, 08:04 PM
I'm using my ASUS for 4 years without any failure!!! So those failure things aren't true... I have A7V8X-X... It's very old...

mips
November 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'm using my ASUS for 4 years without any failure!!! So those failure things aren't true... I have A7V8X-X... It's very old...

So based on the experience of one person & one motherboard means that asus does not fail ? Wow, really amazing.

Circus-Killer
November 22nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
i wouldn't know about the asus, but i must say i've got no complaints with my gigabyte. 8)

MedivhX
November 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM
So based on the experience of one person & one motherboard means that asus does not fail ? Wow, really amazing.

Wow, what an ironic guy... I hate irony so stop it...

I have good experiences with ASUS (so do my friends). Period.

Mirky
November 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
I've built PC's with each all bleading edge gaming rigs, for myself and others. For some reason Asus just go in the computer cleaner, I never have to bend or twist a card to connect it to the back-plane of the case. The layout of everything on the board is just better IMHO.

Donshyoku
November 23rd, 2006, 04:05 AM
I've had 2 DOA Asus in a row (different models even) and 5 working Gigabytes. It is an easy decision for me.

Sunnz
November 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
I've had no end of trouble with Asus boards in the past, through it's possible that the reliability of the board depends on where it was built, as opposed to which company built it.

I'm using a Gigabyte board now with no problems so far.
Ok.

So what country of manufacturing did you had problems with?

dvarsam
November 23rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
Wow, what an ironic guy... I hate irony so stop it...

I have good experiences with ASUS (so do my friends). Period.

Well, about 6 months ago, I bought an ASUS Mobo P5LD2-VM & I had a tough time to Setup the LAN (In order to work, it required the installation of drivers - see posts #: 102083 & 154532).

In the end I changed the Mobo to ASUS P5LD2 & I ended up with no LAN problems (no LAN driver installation required - LAN was enabled automatically during the Ubuntu install!).

What was the Difference:
The Asus Mobo P5LD2-VM had an embedded Graphics Card.
The Asus Mobo P5LD2, did NOT have an embedded Graphics Card (you had to buy it separately).

Recently, I bought for a friend of mine, a Gigabyte Mobo. No LAN problems experienced there...

It is up to you...

Velotix
November 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ok.

So what country of manufacturing did you had problems with?

To the best of my knowledge, the offending Asus boards were manufactured in the UK.

futz
November 25th, 2006, 02:08 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the offending Asus boards were manufactured in the UK.
LOL! I very very much doubt that. More like in The People's Republic of China or maybe Taiwan. :)

Sunnz
November 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
But both Asus and Gigabyte is a Taiwanese company... wouldn't it make more sense if their product is better if they were produced in their own country?

futz
November 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Their products are pretty amazing, considering the prices they charge. Would their products be better if made in Taiwan? I doubt it. They would certainly be more expensive.

Production in PRC puts more profit on the bottom line too, and that's what it's all about.

minck
December 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
futz:
FYI, Taiwan is not PRC. It's ROC. Very, very big difference. Taiwan/ROC is treated like an enemy rogue state by PRC, PRC prevents other countries from recognizing it or having official diplomatic ties from it, the two used to regularly exchange rocket fire over the Formosa straits. Just so you know ;)

Sunnz
December 2nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
Well anyway, I have brought the new mobo...

Anyone know what's CHIP_FAN for? Its got 2 pins, whereas the CPU_FAN has 3 pins (which I plugged into the, well, CPU FAN!!!)

Ubunted
December 2nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
I've built with one ECS and two Asus boards. The ECS was utter, total, complete crap. Dead PCI slot, front USB connectors didn't work, I could go on and on.

Both Asus boards have been excellent, apart from the non-functioning BIOS automatic update tool that came with it. You can still flash the BIOS from within Windows, just needs an extra download to do it.

futz
December 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
futz:
FYI, Taiwan is not PRC. It's ROC. Very, very big difference. Taiwan/ROC is treated like an enemy rogue state by PRC, PRC prevents other countries from recognizing it or having official diplomatic ties from it, the two used to regularly exchange rocket fire over the Formosa straits. Just so you know ;)
By PRC, I meant People's Republic of China (Mainland China). I'm not an expert on China by any means, so I could be wrong. I certainly didn't mean that PRC==Taiwan.

futz
December 2nd, 2006, 07:49 PM
I've built with one ECS and two Asus boards. The ECS was utter, total, complete crap. Dead PCI slot, front USB connectors didn't work, I could go on and on.
Ha! You found out the hard way. ECS are el-cheapo junk oem boards.