PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
I'm just curious! No, really, I am just curious (get the pun?)? Why do so many of you hide yourselves? I mean, I just love the creativity and any art work in your avatars, but why no info, like age, geographic location at all, nothing. Why? Your likely to be linux users and therefore intelligent enough to be brave, and techie enough to not be too concerned about computer security. What's the deal?

deanlinkous
November 22nd, 2006, 06:44 AM
I have to be brave to be intelligent? Crap.... oh well....

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I have to be brave to be intelligent? Crap.... oh well....
NO, you don't have to do anything. That is an interesting reading-into, however. I guess you answered the question though!!

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm just curious! No, really, I am just curious (get the pun?)? Why do so many of you hide yourselves? I mean, I just love the creativity and any art work in your avatars, but why no info, like age, geographic location at all, nothing. Why? Your likely to be linux users and therefore intelligent enough to be brave, and techie enough to not be too concerned about computer security. What's the deal?

The average 11 year old on Dad's computer in the basement probably thinks they won't be taken seriously if they are more up front!

Personally I don't see the point hiding anything, but I am not remotely security paranoid. The only web thing I am not keen on using extensively from a privacy point of view is flickr.

viper
November 22nd, 2006, 07:53 AM

Where is your avatar ? Now you know you gota get or make one :D

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
Where is your avatar ? Now you know you gota get or make one :DI tried a couple (bugs bunny, woody allen, picture of my wife and me). I didn't feel real comfortable with any of them. It think it's because I don't believe I have much imagination..

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
..but you're here, which shows at least some sense of adventure (!) or a desire to continue learning, which are equally good traits!

ps. Does your Wife know you compare her to Bugs Bunny!

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM
..but you're here, which shows at least some sense of adventure (!) or a desire to continue learning, which are equally good traits!

ps. Does your Wife know you compare her to Bugs Bunny!I'm bugs!!

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
:-k :-k :-k
So, rjwood. Where you from?

KiwiNZ
November 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Those who know me , know my nickname.

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Really, I think that the majority of the people with no info probably just haven't bothered to enter it.

Age I think is irrelevant on a discussion forum. In the world of computers you can find both the young and old with knowledge great or small. I think people can often make false assumptions on others based on age.

But if you must know, I'm 25.

...I don't believe I have much imagination..
Well, just imagine that you do then. :p

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Age irrelevant? Whilst I do not think younger or older is better or worse, I do think it helps to know who you are talking to, and age is a part of that.

viper
November 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I tried a couple (bugs bunny, woody allen, picture of my wife and me). I didn't feel real comfortable with any of them. It think it's because I don't believe I have much imagination..

Now i don't believe this at all !!
Check this link out http://tux.crystalxp.net/ i am sure you will find something to your taste, just a starting place i suppose.:D

steven8
November 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Except for Viper and KiwiNZ and Peepsalot, no one here even has an avatar with their picture. The internet is so darned popular because people can let go of all their self-issues and interact unabashedly. Unfortunately, that can lead to a lot of bad things too, but that is for another thread.

My name is Steven. I am a 41 year old white male. Turn-ons - rainy evenings and fire places. Turn-offs - Negative people.

:-)

viper
November 22nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
Except for Viper and KiwiNZ and Peepsalot, no one here even has an avatar with their picture. The internet is so darned popular because people can let go of all their self-issues and interact unabashedly. Unfortunately, that can lead to a lot of bad things too, but that is for another thread.

My name is Steven. I am a 41 year old white male. Turn-ons - rainy evenings and fire places. Turn-offs - Negative people.

Well said i agree 100%. :D
Oh and by the way I am 43 and if you click on my avatar you will see some of my interests!!

Bigbluecat
November 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
My avatar has my picture on it!

My name is Bigbluecat and I am a 35 year old penguin :rolleyes:

steven8
November 22nd, 2006, 09:36 AM
And here I thought the cat was you! See, that's what the internet is all about! :-)

xyz
November 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
...so I guess I'm really gonna have to change my avatar!

Avatars, in my humble opinion, are a bit like carnival! Not like a mask behind which I can hide but more like something that, in fact, is more revealing about me than my real face.

Besides if you check one of my sig's links, you can find out my name, what I look like... and more!

Yes I do like to know a bit about who I'm 'talking to' over the net!

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
:-k :-k :-k
So, rjwood. Where you from?Lancaster, PA

steven8
November 22nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Wow! My wife's cousins live in Lancaster. Beautiful country there.

Brynster
November 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
Mines a lotus flower.

I am a male aged 34 and linux noobish (about a year hardcore use).

I am buddhist and the lotus flower holds great meaning to me. Thats why I use it. Plus I was hideous deformed by an accident involving a soldering iron, some cream cheese and an elastoplast. :^o

wieman01
November 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Easy target for profilers & big corporations. I am a paranoid, I admit that, but what it posted on the web stays on the web... forever. I try to protect my personal data wherever possible. So I would to avoid revealing anything relating to my age, profession, or other personal affairs. Sometimes you cannot avoid it, but I am careful with what I write or say. Big brother is watching & information may turn against you on other occasions.

camilluk
November 22nd, 2006, 10:14 AM
Hi there, I'm Cam from Italy, age 36.

'xyz' I visited your site. Nice arts...

I was actually thinking that, personally, I would be very interested in knowing lots of stats... % of things like gender, age, location etc. Demographics in general. For instance, all girls I know couldn't be less interested in computers so, in my imagination, most people in the forum are male, but is this really true? Not that it would change a thing, but it would make us more aware, which is always a good thing.

Do you guys think that using a poll to do this would get us banned from the forum forever? ;-)

camilluk
November 22nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Do you guys think that using...

See? I just did that again. I assumed you were all guys...[-(

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM

Do you guys think that using a poll to do this would get us banned from the forum forever? ;-)

already been done... (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61048&highlight=poll+age)

RAV TUX
I introduce you to the "sticky" introduce yourself thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280124

Avatars? what avatars? I have had all avatars and signatures turned off for a while.;)

steven8
Guys is merely slang for people. I have heard groups of girls refer to each other as "You guys."

steven8
November 22nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
I got caught in a sticky thread once. Played heck gettin' out of it! :-)

delfick
November 22nd, 2006, 10:19 AM

my real name is stephen as well :D though i'm 17 years old.....

(and before anyone suggests it, i don't have a big head and small body as my avatar shows :D

o ye, and it's not a quarter full, it's three quarters empty :D:D :p

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM

'xyz' I visited your site. Nice arts...

I was actually thinking that, personally, I would be very interested in knowing lots of stats... % of things like gender, age, location etc. Demographics in general. For instance, all girls I know couldn't be less interested in computers so, in my imagination, most people in the forum are male, but is this really true? Not that it would change a thing, but it would make us more aware, which is always a good thing.

A poll Like this? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61048&highlight=poll)

Or maybe this? (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=287852&highlight=gender)

Lol, they wouldn't ban you for that, but they might ask why you made a duplicate thread. ;)

And, yeah there are not many women on here, but they do exist.

RAV TUX
November 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
my real name is stephen as well :D though i'm 17 years old.....

(and before anyone suggests it, i don't have a big head and small body as my avatar shows :D

o ye, and it's not a quarter full, it's three quarters empty :D:D :p

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280124

camilluk
November 22nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Looked at the polls... My perception about girls not being very interested in computers isn't that wrong after all...

Two questions:
1. You obviously knew of these polls already. You linked them to this thread very quickly. They must be somewhere for everyone to see... where?
2. Is there anything there about the nations that people come from?

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Looked at the polls... My perception about girls not being very interested in computers isn't that wrong after all...

Two questions:
1. You obviously knew of these polls already. You linked them to this thread very quickly. They must be somewhere for everyone to see... where?
2. Is there anything there about the nations that people come from?
You can always do a search for threads with "poll" in the title.