PDA

View Full Version : Logic/word fun

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM
Many of you may have heard this one before, so I'm hoping to hear some new ones from you.

A person walks into a hospital to visit a patient. The nurse at the desk informs the visitor only relatives may enter the patients room and asks the the visitor what relation he/she is to the man in the bed. The visitor reply's by saying, "brothers and sisters, I have none, but that mans father, is my fathers son". What is the visitors relationship to the patient?

Tamil
November 22nd, 2006, 05:58 AM
Brother?

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
nephew....oops, misread, I mean uncle.

slimdog360
November 22nd, 2006, 09:45 AM
lock in brother

yahoo
November 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
This Man is my son

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 10:01 AM
The visitor is Jesus!

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
The visitor is Jesus!

lol, that's funny!

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
The blokey talking is the dad

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
The visitor is Jesus!Does God get sick?

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
no, but his son does, he must do, he died!

v8YKxgHe
November 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
He's the dad, think about it:

is my fathers son

That means the visitors father's son is the visitor. So putting it all together like this:

but that patients father, is me

Yeah I suck at explaining .... I know what I mean!

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
This Man is my son

You're dead right. I should know too, I googled it!

red_Marvin
November 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
It's the patients father...

bigken
November 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
His son

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
His sonThe visitor is the father....No googleing!! Here is another one. Some of you must know this one.

A person traveling on a road, comes to a fork in the road. There are two people there who both know which road leads to the travelers destination. One person is alway's truthfull and the other alway's lies, but the traveler does not know which is which. The traveler gets to ask only one question to either one of the two. What question should the person traveling ask, and to whom should he or she ask it?

This is my last riddle. Someone else go next.

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
He should ask either one of them what "Which direction would he (meaning the other person) tell me to go?" and then go in the opposite direction.

Say left == good direction, right == bad direction.

The lier when asked knows the truthful person would say left. So he lies and say "right" . Opposite direction == "left" == correct

The truthful person, knows the lier would say right. So he tells the truth and says "right". Opposite direction == "left" == correct

I can't think of any riddles right now, ill get back to you later :P

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
you're in a 2 floor house. on the ground floor is a room with 3 light switches and on the first floor is a lamp. That's it. And you cannot see a thing in the first floor from the ground floor. Which switch lights the first floor light knowing that you can go up and back down to check only the once?

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
you're in a 2 floor house. on the ground floor is a room with 3 light switches and on the first floor is a lamp. That's it. And you cannot see a thing in the first floor from the ground floor. Which switch lights the first floor light knowing that you can go up and back down to check only the once?The switch on the lamp?

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
The switch on the lamp?

cute, but no! The lamp switch is one of the three switches, which we can assume are on the wall!

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 01:52 PM
I take it we are also to assume cables/wires are hidden and non, traceable, and also that the lamp cannot be moved?

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 01:54 PM
yes indeed we are.

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Yay me, I got it :)

Turn on any two switches for a while. Then turn one of them off.

Go upstairs to the lamp.
If it is on, then the switch still turned on is the correct one.
If it is off, but is still warm then the switch you just turned off is the correct one.
If it is cold then the switch you never touched is the correct one!

Hehh, I have been sat here at work flicking my desk lamp on and off, trying to work out what clue could be left behind! (Getting some funny looks from other programmers)

adam.tropics
November 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Well done! :KS

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM
A boat is sitting in the water tied to a dock. The boat has a ladder with 6 rungs each spaced exactly 6 inches apart with the bottom rung 12 inches above the water. If the tide begins to rise 3 inches every half hour, how long will it take until half the ladder rungs are submerged?

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Cheers you guys, giving me more than enough to be distracted by my work today!

Naturally, rungs are not immediately at the top or bottom of the ladder. So are we to assume that there is a six inch gap between the rungs and the physical ends of the ladder?

ie "the bottom rung 12 inches above the water" does that mean the actual end of the ladder is 6 inches from the water?

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Cheers you guys, giving me more than enough to be distracted by my work today!

Naturally, rungs are not immediately at the top or bottom of the ladder. So are we to assume that there is a six inch gap between the rungs and the physical ends of the ladder?

ie "the bottom rung 12 inches above the water" does that mean the actual end of the ladder is 6 inches from the water?
No! good observation however

renzokuken
November 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
surely it doesnt ever reach the ladder.

as the tide rises, so does the boat and the dock so the distance between the ladder, tide and dock are all fixed no matter what

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
No! good observation however

Hmmm.... maybe I am being too analytical then. Think about it. If the bottom of the rung is 12 inches from the water, and we are not to assume how much of the ladder is below it, you cannot derive how much of the ladder remains above the water. For all that is known the six rungs may only be in the top tenth of the ladder, in which case more than half is already below sea level.

So the only option would be to assume that the bottom run is the bottom of the ladder. In which case, it is one weird ladder!

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
surely it doesnt ever reach the ladder.

as the tide rises, so does the boat and the dock so the distance between the ladder, tide and dock are all fixed no matter what

Hmmm.... maybe I am being too analytical then.

](*,) indeed

DaveBorealis
November 22nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
The visitor is the father....No googleing!!

I didn't google. And I can prove it...because I got it wrong! :)

I was convinced that the visitor was the man's uncle, which goes to show how out of shape I've allowed my short-term memory to get because you clearly stated (and I clearly read) that the visitor had no brothers. Doh!

Dave

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 04:01 PM
Hmmm.... maybe I am being too analytical then. Think about it. If the bottom of the rung is 12 inches from the water, and we are not to assume how much of the ladder is below it, you cannot derive how much of the ladder remains above the water. For all that is known the six rungs may only be in the top tenth of the ladder, in which case more than half is already below sea level.

So the only option would be to assume that the bottom run is the bottom of the ladder. In which case, it is one weird ladder!The ladder has only 6 steps or rungs and they are all above the water level to begin with.

Kieranties
November 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
The ladder has only 6 steps or rungs and they are all above the water level to begin with.

I understand that, but like i said the ladder may have all its rungs at the top and have a large space without any.

Still, I was being stoopid and forgetting that it is attached to a boat!

renzokuken
November 22nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
so was i right?

if so here is another one

If you say my name, I will no longer exist. What am I?

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
silence?

And if you ever come to a fork in the road... pick it up!

renzokuken
November 22nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
lol, guess mine was too easy then.

how about this one

What's mightier than God and more evil than the Devil? The poor have it. The rich need it. If you eat it, you will eventually die.

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Not sure about that one, but you will eventually die no matter what you eat.

Lord Illidan
November 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
lol, guess mine was too easy then.

how about this one

What's mightier than God and more evil than the Devil? The poor have it. The rich need it. If you eat it, you will eventually die.

Nothing.

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Oh, nothing. I think i might have heard these before.

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
These are probably pretty well known, but I can't thikn of any better riddles.

What has ears but cannot hear?

What has eyes but cannot see?

What has four legs but cannot walk?

renzokuken
November 22nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
corn
dunno
table/chair

red_Marvin
November 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
- a mug
- a needle
- most furniture

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
For the first one, it is corn.

I've never heard the term for a ear on a mug. What does that mean?

The second one has not been solved yet. A needle only has one eye. ;) And don't say two needles. The answer is a singular thing.

And yeah, the last one is supposed to be a table/furniture.

Gustav
November 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM

In Swedish, the handle on a mug is called ear (or öra in Swedish).

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
For the first one, it is corn.

The second one has not been solved yet. A needle only has one eye. ;) And don't say two needles. The answer is a singular thing.

And yeah, the last one is supposed to be a table/furniture.the second one may be words?

Peepsalot
November 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM
nope. C'mon guys, this one is easy. ;)

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Things that are blind?
Can't be bat's, because they have good eyesight.

rjwood
November 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
Dolls?
pictures?
Paintings?
Peas?
some flowers?

Peepsalot
November 24th, 2006, 02:24 AM
The anwer is supposed to be a potato. ;)