PDA

View Full Version : How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

snype
November 22nd, 2006, 05:18 AM
I followed a howto guide over at linux-gamers.net (I think) but I found that it was rather incomplete and at times gave me wrong commands but I ended up able to get Steam installed and run Counter-Strike Source through WINE on my Ubuntu Edgy box. My specs are: 1.7ghz 512 MB ram and a Radeon 9600 64mb graphics card(using fglrx)-- all wrapped into a sexy little IBM T42. Below is the quick run through of how I did it, the full version is on my blog: http://t42buntu.blogspot.com

1. Download WINE

sudo apt-get install wine

2. Run WINE setup--

wine setup

3. Download Tahoma font and put it in your wine fonts folder:

cp Tahoma.ttf /home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts

4. Download Steam the go to the directory and install it

wine SteamInstaller.exe

(Note I just took a break to test out my CSS on Linux, and after a few trial and errors i figured it out and got onto a server and played it! So, IT WORKS!) 5.During the steam install just use all the same options/answers you would use in a windows environment-- at some point it will prompt you that it needs to install a Mozilla Gecko plugin? just say yes and it will do it's own thing.
6. When the installer finishes open up a terminal and do the following to launch steam:

cd /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe

This will launch steam while hiding any outputs from wine, thus running your game faster.
7. When steam launched I couldnt type my name in the login/password boxes without first right clicking in the login field then left clicking. After this I could login as normal.
8. Now that you're ready to launch your game you will want to make sure that all other windows besides the steam "My Games" window are minimized or closed.
9. Double click "Counter Strike Source" and as soon as it says "preparing" click the x button on the steam window with "My Games List" or it will interfere with the game.
10. The game should be running fairly close to normal now, you ay be warned that you're video is wierd and that it's using software mode, but even on my 1.7 Ghz 512mb ram 64mb Radeon 9600 the game was more than playable.

I will be fidiling around with all the settings later so check the blog for updates on it.

I hope this helps someone.
-Snype

dogwi11hunt
November 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Im new to Linux and i dont know too much i just needed an operating system and my friend recomended Ubuntu. Anywho ive installed Wine but I can't run the wine setup.when i put it in the terminal "wine setup" it does nothing. Please help because i miss playing CS.

claydoh
November 25th, 2006, 04:24 AM
If you simply run "wine steaminstaller.exe" it will set up a wine environment automatically and run the installer. The command "winecfg" beforehand will open a configuration gui if you want to edit some things. Setting up drive paths for cdroms is one important task (though not needed for steam) you may want to do.

dogwi11hunt
November 25th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I think I have the whole Wine thing down. I think. I need to install tahoma, I've downloaded it but when i try and put it in the file shown "home/John/.wine/..." in my "john" file theres no ".wine" file to send the tahoma font to. and when I search the comp for the file in general to see if its located elsewhere it cant find it. It's like certain files have yet to be created.

Ferrat
November 25th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Im new to Linux and i dont know too much i just needed an operating system and my friend recomended Ubuntu. Anywho ive installed Wine but I can't run the wine setup.when i put it in the terminal "wine setup" it does nothing. Please help because i miss playing CS.

have you done a

$ winecfg

??

If so just browser to your steam folder and dubbel klick on the steaminstaller.exe and it should start by it self :)

Ferrat
November 25th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I think I have the whole Wine thing down. I think. I need to install tahoma, I've downloaded it but when i try and put it in the file shown "home/John/.wine/..." in my "john" file theres no ".wine" file to send the tahoma font to. and when I search the comp for the file in general to see if its located elsewhere it cant find it. :-?

That means you haven't done a winecfg at the terminal window just do that and you get a .wine dir :) =)

dogwi11hunt
November 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Well i have ran the wine configuration in the terminal. and the window popped up and i clicked on the audio tab and this came up in the terminal after the window auto matically closed "Creating link /home/john/.kde/socket-john-desktop.
can't create mcop directory" id imagine thats not good? it didn't say anything about .wine and its not that i cant run steam because ive gotten it to start but you cant see anything, which id imagine is from not having tahoma font which i thought i had. So then i tried to put on the font again and it didn't detect the "/.wine/..." directory and i remember reading you need to run wine for it to make that directory. So if im correct i need to find out how to run wine, to create that directory, just so i can put on tahoma.

dogwi11hunt
November 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM
after messing with the wine configuration a bit in the "drives" tab i saw the .wine file and i guess its a hidden file on the computer so ive read and since its "hidden" the terminal cant find it to put in the tahoma font i think i dont know

maax
December 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM
so steam does update... it just take a bit...

main feature which is missing now, is how to make shure CSS run in open-gl mode

in glxgears, i am getting
3700 fps(windowed), 530 fps (maximized)
In the game:
40 fps average in cs:source speed test

does anyone know how to do that?

Brynster
December 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
CounterStrike source to the best of my knowledge doesn't and cannot run in open-gl. Its purely directX based. So some of the advanced textures like thwater effects will always look a little dodgy.

But hey if anybody knows different feel free to better inform me and the OP

Lystrodom
December 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm having a problem with Steam, maybe you can help.

I followed the instructions for getting the Tahoma font, and it's sitting in my fonts directory and everything, but Steam still runs without any words.

I even tried it with a different Tahoma.ttf, but that didn't do anything. Any advice?

Fitzy_oz
December 8th, 2006, 05:12 AM
There is a switch for CSS to force GL, I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.
Can be run with the following command line switch -gl, I have however not tried it yet.

You can also bump up performance by knocking down the H/W DX Level. Default is 9.0, I run it at 8.1 which seems to be a bit quicker. The switch for it is -dxlevel 8.1.
This helped me a bit.

Fitzy_oz
December 9th, 2006, 09:33 AM
The following switches may also help for improving performance.
-gl "Force Open GL"
-dxlevel xx "70 = DirectX 7.0, 80 = 8.0, 81= 8.1 etc.

Direct x 8.1 provides the best balance between Performance and prettiness.

The switches can be added under properties inst my games menu of steam.

AndyW
December 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm getting this

wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\SteamInstaller.exe": Module not found

when I run

wine SteamInstaller.exe

any suggestions?

mitchbones
December 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm getting this

wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\SteamInstaller.exe": Module not found

when I run

wine SteamInstaller.exe

any suggestions?

You made a typo on the filename :P

Try this instead!

wine SteamInstall.exe
Good luck

AndyW
December 9th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I typed in right in the consol. I tried it a couple times, but now I have it installing of my cdrom.
One thing though, last time I tried to minimize the steam window it froze my computer. Im hesitant to do it again, but is this a known problem and is there a fix?

ErikTheRed
December 10th, 2006, 07:56 AM
From what I can tell the -gl option doesn't offer much of a performance boost but it does seem to eliminate a lot of the graphical glitches I was getting without it.

mitchbones
December 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I'm pretty sure I typed in right in the consol. I tried it a couple times, but now I have it installing of my cdrom.
One thing though, last time I tried to minimize the steam window it froze my computer. Im hesitant to do it again, but is this a known problem and is there a fix?
Yeah you can't hit minimize at all, you always have to hit exit.

jc87
December 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
My specs are: 1.7ghz 512 MB ram and a Radeon 9600 64mb graphics card

[off topic] Just by curiosity, do you have any performance benchmark in running native in Windows versus running it with wine on Ubuntu?

And when you say 1,7 ghz CPU, which is the exact model;)

[/off topic]

mitchbones
December 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM
My specs are: 1.7ghz 512 MB ram and a Radeon 9600 64mb graphics card

[off topic] Just by curiosity, do you have any performance benchmark in running native in Windows versus running it with wine on Ubuntu?

And when you say 1,7 ghz CPU, which is the exact model;)

[/off topic] Me personally, I don't rember what my processer is :P its like AMD Sempron :P Its clockspeed is only 1.7 so since its an AMD that means its like 2.

Edit: Wow....I recorded Shift-F1, Shift-F2,Shift-F3,Shift-F4 to the workspaces, and it switches really fast in-game.

AndyW
December 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM
One more thing. Mine plays windowed, but without the window meaning I cant move it or make it bigger or smaller. I know this is possible because I saw it in some screenshots on the wine site.
I just dont know how to do it. Anyone?

claydoh
December 11th, 2006, 01:26 AM
running winecfg, you can play with the window behaviour in the graphics section, or try editing the in-game video settings

AndyW
December 11th, 2006, 02:06 AM
now it runs full screen (what I really wanted)and I didnt change a thing.
Oh well

snype
December 11th, 2006, 02:55 AM
sorry-- to the pwerson asking my cpu model it's a Pentium M 1.7 i forget i think its the like 735? oh and I upgraded to 1 GGB ram- its a thinkpad. I also started using cedega as I find it plays source better, for me anyways.

t42buntu.blogspot.com

Gravity
December 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
If any of you have CSS working, could you please post some benchmarking results, I might consider switching to ubuntu if it runs well :P

Fitzy_oz
December 11th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I had it running relatively well under SUSE, but I prefer using Ubuntu. My graphics config is an ATI Radeon 9600 on a 1.5 gig athlon 1.5 gig of ram Shouldn't really a be huge issue. Are there any major issues with the ATI Driver (frgl) as I have installed the newest one from their site.

AndyW
December 11th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Computer Specs:
Amd 64 3200+
1 gig ram
6800 xt

My fps hang about 30-40 but range from 20-60 fps. It runs really well IMO, but it lacks anti aliasing.

BTW Im playing with direct x 8.1. 9 would play but the players would skip.

Fitzy_oz
December 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm gonna try it with Edgy instead of Dapper, and try a few different settings with the drivers. Appeared to be getting a lot of trouble from the winehq.org version of wine, sound errors on startup seem to be slowing it down. Will post the FPS and whatever command switches i use. My graphics config is a bit messed up as well. :twisted:

SpinesN
December 13th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I got a strange problem. Once steam loads up and asks me to log in I cannot type in the steam window. I am forced to type in the command line window I opened wine from.

Fixed: Emulated a desktop and it got my input :D

Fitzy_oz
December 14th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I got a strange problem. Once steam loads up and asks me to log in I cannot type in the steam window. I am forced to type in the command line window I opened wine from.

Fixed: Emulated a desktop and it got my input :D

You can also sort it by right clicking in the username field and clicking paste. This should also fix it without having to emulate the desktop.

On another note, anyone had any trouble with sound being really choppy. I am almost convinced that this is what is killing my gameplay. The chipset is an N-Force 2 Ultra. I have tried the OSS, ALSA, ESOUND. Everything I can think of. Still getting errors with wine regaring the sound setup - error loading libjack.so.

The console report from wine also says - Your soundcard does not support direct access Using Slower Directsound HEL instead.

Any thoughts?

Fixed - Removed Radeon 9600 and replaced with 64mb Nvidia Mx440 - ATI's drivers really leave a lot to be desired.
If anyone knows how to successfuly get a 9600se working please let me know, I've tried just about every solution i can find on the internet....

yawnster
December 21st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Anyone know of the fix for the unplayable framerate bug?

I got it working correctly, except that I only getting a framerate of ~ 1fps...

Im using Edgy, with a NVidiaGeForce FX 5200, old I know but it does the job..

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Alex.

maxM
December 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I get a message I dont understand under the installation of Steam.

wine /home/jd/Desktop/SteamInstall.exe
The instaler starts up, I choose everything I would do in windows. Then in the midle of Steam Updating this comes up:
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7650/screenshotpc6.png

If I try to run Steam.exe directly thrue Wine the same message comes up.

Anyone knows why this happends?

Fitzy_oz
January 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone know of the fix for the unplayable framerate bug?

I got it working correctly, except that I only getting a framerate of ~ 1fps...

Im using Edgy, with a NVidiaGeForce FX 5200, old I know but it does the job..

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Alex.

I recently installed the same card - Are you running Nvidia's GLX drivers of the standard Xorg-server?

try running steam with the following command:

WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe"

Goto to the game properties and set the following launch options -dxlevel 70 -gl
(This is required as the H/W direct x level supported by the 5200 is 7.0, mine will not work above 2 fps without that switch..."
Mine runs very nicely at around 30-40 fps which is more than playable for me anyway.

yawnster
January 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
I recently installed the same card - Are you running Nvidia's GLX drivers of the standard Xorg-server?

try running steam with the following command:

WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe"

Goto to the game properties and set the following launch options -dxlevel 70 -gl

Mine runs very nicely at around 30-40 fps which is more than playable for me anyway.

Hmm, when I run the first command I get the error..

http://www.yawnster.com/images/error.png

I would usually combat that by running the command under sudo, but that doesnt work either, bringing the error message...

sudo: WINEDEBUG=fixme-all: command not found

If anyone has got any ideas about how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks again, Alex.

Fitzy_oz
January 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
I don't mean to ask dumb questions but which version of Wine are you running - 0.28 or the version that ships with ubuntu?
Were there any errors installing steam? Are you using steam or a "cough" different version?

yawnster
January 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
I don't mean to ask dumb questions but which version of Wine are you running - 0.28 or the version that ships with ubuntu?
Were there any errors installing steam? Are you using steam or a "cough" different version?

I'm presuming you are talking to me..

alex@alex-ubuntu:~$ wine --version
Wine 0.9.22

That's what I am using, installed it through agt-get..

I installed Steam using my HL2 cd.. I guessed that was the correct way?

I have got the drivers that I was told to install on this wiki article (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BerylOnEdgy), and before you ask.. I don't run CSS with Beryl on, I switch back to Metacity :p

Thanks.. Alex

Fitzy_oz
January 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
I'm presuming you are talking to me..

alex@alex-ubuntu:~$ wine --version
Wine 0.9.22

That's what I am using, installed it through agt-get..

I installed Steam using my HL2 cd.. I guessed that was the correct way?

I have got the drivers that I was told to install on this wiki article (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BerylOnEdgy), and before you ask.. I don't run CSS with Beryl on, I switch back to Metacity :p

Thanks.. Alex

Yes mate, I am talking to you. :)

You'll need to add custom repositories for wine to get the most updated version of it.
this is the link (http://winehq.org/site/download-deb)to that page, after which synaptic should show an update for it being available.
Try it with the updated version. This is my current setup and it seems to work well:

Athlon XP 1800+
1.5 gig of ram
Nvidia FX5200 128mb
Im using the proprietry Nvidia Driver (xorg-nvidia-glx) driver from the restricted modules - But given the fact that your running berryl, I'm guessing your running them too if your using berryl.

Probably wouldn't hurt to install CS:S and HL2 again either.

Good luck,
Hayden.

Jammy_Stuff
January 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm having a strange problem with mine. I can start CS:S and even run a video test. However, I can't join a server or start a server. When I try and join a server, it freezes at "Sending client data" and when I try and start one, it freezes at "Initializing game data". Anyone got any ideas?

Fitzy_oz
January 8th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I had that problem also, what H/W setup are you using? More importantly what graphics card? I had to install the propr. drivers before mine would work (ATI or Nvidia).

Try running steam or CSS from the command line with this line WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\<steamdir>\steam.exe" - This should stop it from displaying all of the errors in the console and may give it a speed boost.

Jammy_Stuff
January 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm running it on a nvidia (along with the latest drivers). Running it with that command doesn't help, still freezes.

Jarn
January 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Has anyone been able to use the backup function in Steam? I created a backup of game files inside Windows and moved it over to Linux and put it in the same folder it was in in Windows. However, when I run it (steambackup.exe) with Wine, Wine tells me that it cannot launch the external program "c:/program files\steam/steam.exe" and a look at the cli shows that Wine produced the error "err:exec:SHELL_ExecuteW cannot set directory L"C:\\PROG~FBU\\Steam\\Backups\\Disk_1\\c:/program files/steam""

EDIT: Well, I got around the problem by creating a folder c:, then "program files", then "steam" and copying steam.exe there. It had to update steam again and I'll just copy the game files up to the original directory once it installs the game files.

mailbox
January 11th, 2007, 03:19 AM
hmm.
running the following, like you said:

6. When the installer finishes open up a terminal and do the following to launch steam:

cd /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe
returns: "wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\steam.exe": Module not found"

[edit]note: i also tried WINEDEBUG="-all" wine steam.exe", to no avail.

claydoh
January 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Try it this way with quotes around the file path. You won't have to cd to any directories, either:

WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine "c:/program files/steam/steam.exe"

mailbox
January 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
sweet, that worked, at least to load steam.

now, when i play, i have the following problem: the valve intro video (which is unskippable, for some reason) plays at about half speed with no audio, and when it finishes, the game crashes.

Fitzy_oz
January 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I'm running it on a nvidia (along with the latest drivers). Running it with that command doesn't help, still freezes.

I had this problem with the ubuntu pre-packaged version that came with edgy, it came good when I updated to the version from the WineHq repo. try adding this source: deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main to your third party reposositories and updateing wine to .28 or .29 I think it is now. That should do it, I use the OSS sound plugin it seems to run a bit faster.

Fitzy_oz
January 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM
sweet, that worked, at least to load steam.

now, when i play, i have the following problem: the valve intro video (which is unskippable, for some reason) plays at about half speed with no audio, and when it finishes, the game crashes.

In steam go to the game properties and add the switch -novid or -novideo. This should take care of the valve intro :)

Kittens
January 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I can't get around this error.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/235/steamerrorsn7.png

I've tried the WINEDEBUG to get around it, but it doesn't work. Can anyone please assist me?

mailbox
January 13th, 2007, 10:58 PM
In steam go to the game properties and add the switch -novid or -novideo. This should take care of the valve intro :)

well, that got part of it. now there's no video, but all i see is the blurry loading screen, then it crashes to desktop a few seconds later.
i'm pretty sure it's crashing as soon as it tries to render some 3d.

Fitzy_oz
January 14th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Mailbox,
Just couple of quick questions,
Can you run the command in a terminal glxinfo |more and paste the first couple of lines for me.
Second command in the terminal: wine --verison and let me know the version number.

If it's a rendering problem it will almost certainly be the drivers for the card. If using nvidia I find using the proprietary drivers the most effective. For ATI, it might be a little more interesting depending on the card type. Let me know and we'll go from there.

I can't get around this error.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/235/steamerrorsn7.png

I've tried the WINEDEBUG to get around it, but it doesn't work. Can anyone please assist me?

Same as above - Which version of wine are you using - it may seem trivial but it does make a difference. If it's the one out of the multiverse ubuntu repo's, add the repos from winehq.org the instructions are in one of my posts in this thread. :)

mailbox
January 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
glxinfo|more

name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
GLX version: 1.3
GLX extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7900 GTX/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.76
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow,
GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_imaging,
GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite,
GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_float,
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_texture_float,
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_point_parameters,
GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture3D,
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp,
GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_timer_query,
GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_HP_occlusion_test, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square,
GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_fence,
GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_NV_fragment_program,
GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_NV_fragment_program2,
GL_NV_gpu_program_parameters, GL_NV_half_float, GL_NV_light_max_exponent,
GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_NV_occlusion_query,
GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_NV_register_combiners,
GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4,
GL_NV_texture_expand_normal, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3,
GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program,
GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_NV_vertex_program2,
GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_NV_vertex_program3,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_SUN_slice_accum
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

wine --version
wine-0.9.29

if it matters, WoW runs, although i don't think it's running in OpenGL.

mailbox
January 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM
another queastion: has anyone gotten Valve's Hammer editor to run in wine? it's just plain not working for me.

Fitzy_oz
January 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
WOW is running, yeah it's a good sign, you do have direct rendering, thats for sure. Here is a screenshot of the options I have set for CS:S, including the directx settings I use. With my Nvidia card I have to force it to render in OpenGL mode otherwise it just freaks out. I also have to use Dxlevel 8 or it is just way too slow. Just try these options and see it that fixes it - If it doesn't hit me back and we'll try something else.

You could also try the video card drivers off Nvidia's site - Here's part of my GLXINFO, the difference is highlighted...

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.46

My video card's old and crappy and runs it nicely, it's just a matter of tweaking it.

another queastion: has anyone gotten Valve's Hammer editor to run in wine? it's just plain not working for me.

Yeah, I got it to work... I didn't try and do anything with it though

abzolutxero
January 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM
for those of you who have gotten steam running, i have a few questions....

steam runs, downloads the game files, chat works, friends list... etc.... as soon as i try to load a game, it resizes the screen to 640x480, and then the game hangs. steam still works, but obviously wont exit because it is trying to load a game... i have the most current nvidia drivers installed, so i assume it isnt gfx... is there a wine configuration i am missing? thanks

Kittens
January 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I added it to the repositories, reloaded, but it didn't work. I still get the error message! :(

mailbox
January 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I got it to work... I didn't try and do anything with it thoughtry and create a new map, and tell me what you see.

Fitzy_oz
January 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM
try and create a new map, and tell me what you see.

No worries, I'll give it a try when I get home tonight, will let you know what happens.

I added it to the repositories, reloaded, but it didn't work. I still get the error message! :(

Hmmm, which version of windows is it emulating? XP or 98.

Fitzy_oz
January 15th, 2007, 03:43 AM

steam runs, downloads the game files, chat works, friends list... etc.... as soon as i try to load a game, it resizes the screen to 640x480, and then the game hangs. steam still works, but obviously wont exit because it is trying to load a game... i have the most current nvidia drivers installed, so i assume it isnt gfx... is there a wine configuration i am missing? thanks

Create a text file called steam.sh and paste the following into it... (provided you user the defaults for the install it should work otherwise change the path"

sh WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steam.exe"

the reasoning behind this is that it will supress all of the error messages that wine generates when it can't implement something properly - and for direct3d, it's a lot of messages, which in turn slows wine down to a crawl. Try that in a script or run it at the terminal.

For the 640*480 Check under you winecfg that you don't have emulate desktop option set, this force all of your wine apps into a small area in the middle of the desktop instead of using them as part of the linux desktop. see my screenshot for the startup switches I use to run CS:S or Half Life 2. Any dramas, let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.

abzolutxero
January 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Create a text file call steam.sh and paste the following into it... (provided you user the defaults for the install it should work otherwise change the path"

sh WINEDEBUG-"-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steam.exe"

the reasoning behind this is that it will supress all of the error messages that wine generates when it can't implement something properly - and for direct3d, it's a lot of messages, which in turn slows wine down to a crawl. Try that in a script or run it at the terminal.

For the 640*480 Check under you winecfg that you don't have emulate desktop option set, this force all of your wine apps into a small area in the middle of the desktop instead of using them as part of the linux desktop. see my screenshot for the startup switches I use to run CS:S or Half Life 2. Any dramas, let me know. I'm happy to help if I can.

thanks Fitzy, I changed all of the switiches, and made my configuration identical to yours. and here is the response i have.

abzolutxero@FreeSpirit:~/Desktop$ sh steam.sh
sh: Can't open WINEDEBUG--all
abzolutxero@FreeSpirit:~/Desktop$

(see attachments)

also, is it wrong that i have to run it as root so that way it will load? if i dont, it says something like "can't load blob file"

Thanks Again...

Fitzy_oz
January 16th, 2007, 02:21 AM
thanks Fitzy, I changed all of the switiches, and made my configuration identical to yours. and here is the response i have.

abzolutxero@FreeSpirit:~/Desktop$ sh steam.sh
sh: Can't open WINEDEBUG--all
abzolutxero@FreeSpirit:~/Desktop$

(see attachments)

also, is it wrong that i have to run it as root so that way it will load? if i dont, it says something like "can't load blob file"

Thanks Again...

Sorry Mate, typo in there.

WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steam.exe"

You won't be able to run it as root as the .wine directory that you have everything installed to is user specific, so you'll need to remove sudo from the script. In your winecfg sound TAB, I'd recommend using either OSS or Alsa, not both. use which ever one works best for you, I use OSS which seems to do the trick for me. Fingers crossed you should be good to go ;)
Let me know how you go. :)

abzolutxero
January 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Fitzy, you are amazing. thanks for all your help. it runs really well. I'd love to be able to get it to work through the alsa drivers, but for some reason wine says it cant use it... i have an altec lansing usb sound card that i use so i can swap between speakers and a headset quickly, but i can fix that later.

to fix the whole root problem, i had to uninstall and reinstall wine.... seems when i installed it i installed it as root, so it wrote my entire .wine directory as root, meaning i could only run programs that changed files when i had root privledges... bonehead move really.. lol.

anyhow, it works, video on it works, sound works through OSS... thanks for the help.

Jarn
January 17th, 2007, 03:45 AM
When I run it with ALSA sound, it freezes while joining a game. When I run it with OSS, it doesn't freeze but I have no sound.

abzolutxero
January 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
that is interesting... i didnt even corelate the game freezes with the sound, but now that i think about it, it started to work when i chose OSS sound instead of ALSA.

Jarn, what is your system setup? mobo/sound etc... just curious.

Jarn
January 17th, 2007, 04:52 AM
nForce4 mobo, onboard sound card

Fitzy_oz
January 17th, 2007, 05:50 AM
nForce4 mobo, onboard sound card

Screen dump your winecfg Audio page - Make a note of the sound emulation settings - Full, standard, basic etc..... 16bit/8bit - Sample Rate, 44100 22020 etc. OSS should work straight up though. Post it and I'll have a look

Fitzy, you are amazing. thanks for all your help. it runs really well. I'd love to be able to get it to work through the alsa drivers, but for some reason wine says it cant use it... i have an altec lansing usb sound card that i use so i can swap between speakers and a headset quickly, but i can fix that later.

to fix the whole root problem, i had to uninstall and reinstall wine.... seems when i installed it i installed it as root, so it wrote my entire .wine directory as root, meaning i could only run programs that changed files when i had root privledges... bonehead move really.. lol.

anyhow, it works, video on it works, sound works through OSS... thanks for the help.

Your welcome mate,
and don't beat yourself up, I think I've done it myself more than once so don't worry about it. ;)

AusIV4
January 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I've recently installed Steam under wine to play Half-Life and TFC. It starts up fine, but it usually crashes after about 5 minutes. I can SSH into the box from another machine, and top says hl.exe is upwards of 150% CPU. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything, and I ultimately wind up rebooting the machine. Any advice?

Fitzy_oz
January 18th, 2007, 04:19 AM
I've recently installed Steam under wine to play Half-Life and TFC. It starts up fine, but it usually crashes after about 5 minutes. I can SSH into the box from another machine, and top says hl.exe is upwards of 150% CPU. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything, and I ultimately wind up rebooting the machine. Any advice?

Which Wine are you using, the one from the Ubuntu Repos or the Winehq.org site?

If it's the ubuntu ones, add the wine repos from winehq.org and upgrade it.
If not what video setup are you running? What sound emulation and what command are you using to start steam?

additional note - you can't minimize steam, it will freeze. Instead always use the close button to minimize it to the tray.

ppglabrat
January 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM
ok heres the the deal after hours of trying i can get cs-s sort of working .

it starts up , but menu screen is blank i get flashing cursor so I blindly select options or whatever then eventually I can see menu

I tried starting server but it crashed

AusIV4
January 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Which Wine are you using, the one from the Ubuntu Repos or the Winehq.org site?

If it's the ubuntu ones, add the wine repos from winehq.org and upgrade it.
If not what video setup are you running? What sound emulation and what command are you using to start steam?

additional note - you can't minimize steam, it will freeze. Instead always use the close button to minimize it to the tray.

I get wine from the winehq repository (deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main).

My video card is a Mobility Radeon X600, using the open source radeon driver. I use Compiz most of the time, but I've found I have to turn it off in order to play full screen games. I'm running HL in OpenGL mode. Sound emulation uses the OSS driver. Since I pretty much just play TFC, I use the command
wine "c:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 20 which launches TFC without choosing it from the Steam application. I've also tried running steam with
wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" then closing the steam window to play. Either way, the game runs fine for a while, then everything just freezes up.

Thanks for any help.

Jarn
January 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Here it is. I use the same settings for ALSA, only with ALSA checked instead of OSS.

Fitzy_oz
January 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Just a quick note guys - I'm happy to do whatever I can to help anyone out with getting source games to run, but it would save a lot of typing and a lot of time if any new posts for help could have the following information:
Graphics card & driver being used, Version of wine (you can get this by typing wine --version in the console), have you tried running it with WINEDEBUG="-all" in front of wine?, what sound emulation are you using (ALSA, OSS, ESOUND), have you added the -gl -dxlevel 70?

A lot of the information for this is already in the thread and is worth trying before posting another reply. I can understand if your're new to linux and don't know how to find these options I can certainly help you with that but providing me with above information will make it easier for me to see what's wrong and quicker for you to start playing the game :)

Here it is. I use the same settings for ALSA, only with ALSA checked instead of OSS.

Up the Bitrate to 16 bit, sounds funny but it actually made mine less jerky...

I get wine from the winehq repository (deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main).

My video card is a Mobility Radeon X600, using the open source radeon driver. I use Compiz most of the time, but I've found I have to turn it off in order to play full screen games. I'm running HL in OpenGL mode. Sound emulation uses the OSS driver. Since I pretty much just play TFC, I use the command
wine "c:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 20 which launches TFC without choosing it from the Steam application. I've also tried running steam with
wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" then closing the steam window to play. Either way, the game runs fine for a while, then everything just freezes up.

Thanks for any help.

Ok, I can't comment on the sort of frame rates your going to get with the open source driver, if you can make fglrx driver work use it, I didn't have any luck with open source driver when trying to get my 9600 working. Can you run glxinfo in a terminal and paste it's output here for me.

Also, when running the steam apps, run it with a script or from the terminal like so WINEDEBUG="-all" wine wine "c:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe". Forget about the applaunch part, mine goes a bit haywire if I do it that way and reports funny errors. Goto the in game properties and add the following switches: -gl -dxlevel 70. This will pull the directx hw implentation down to 7.0 which won't matter to TFC or HL but will make a big difference to the performance of wine itself. Another worthy thing to note is that the ' WINEDEBUG="-all" ' function supresses all of the (many) directx error outputs for deubugging purposes which will speed your game up.

ok heres the the deal after hours of trying i can get cs-s sort of working .

it starts up , but menu screen is blank i get flashing cursor so I blindly select options or whatever then eventually I can see menu

I tried starting server but it crashed

You need the tahoma and lucida console fonts from windows which are located under the c:\windows\fonts folder on a windows computer, otherwise you will have to download them and place them in your /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder. That should fix the menu.

Jarn
January 19th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Up the Bitrate to 16 bit, sounds funny but it actually made mine less jerky...Do you mind if I declare my undying love for you?

That meant it worked. Thanks much!

Fitzy_oz
January 19th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Awesome :) On with the killing :mrgreen:

Xenix
January 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM
EDIT - Delete post. Sorry.

kilroy4231
January 21st, 2007, 12:17 AM
I'm sure i'm just having a brainfart......but i can't seem to get to the directory where i've installed steam through the terminal, i can navigate there through file browser

cd /home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam

it returns that Program Files is not a directory when i can plainly see it in the file browser....

thx for any help

Jarn
January 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM
You need to put quotes around it since it has a space in it. Or put a \ in it so it reads either:

cd "/home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"
cd /home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam

Fitzy_oz
January 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM
You need to put quotes around it since it has a space in it. Or put a \ in it so it reads either:

cd "/home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"
cd /home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam

If you doing it from Linux terminal it's apsotrophes -

cd '/home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam' ;)

"=Windows
'=Linux

:)

Enverex
January 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
If you doing it from Linux terminal it's apsotrophes -

cd '/home/dan/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam' ;)

"=Windows
'=Linux

:)

Not true, you can use either. They just have slightly different meanings, but they'd both work in this case.

Fitzy_oz
January 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
Not true, you can use either. They just have slightly different meanings, but they'd both work in this case.

Fair enough... The " " don't work in the console for me in this case unless I'm using a windows virtual path ie. wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\Steam.exe", where as if it were the physical path I would use /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files/Valve/Steam/Steam.exe'. Thats the only way I could make it work....

caltabellotta
January 25th, 2007, 05:19 AM
i am trying to configure wine so i can play counter-strike (yeah im addicted ). When I set up, wine does not create a /home/USERNAME/.wine/ folder (or at least not that I can see). I thus cannot install my tahoma fonts. this is what happens with $wine cfg:
Code:

~$ wine cfg wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\cfg.exe": Module not found

I think I did a sudo apt-get install wine correctly, but I am not sure since wine setup or wine cfg does not work.

Please help!

this happens with cs:

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\SteamInstall.exe": Module not found

Jarn
January 25th, 2007, 05:25 AM
winecfg is one command, not two. When you do 'wine cfg' it is trying to run the program cfg with wine. Do it as one word, 'winecfg'.

caltabellotta
January 25th, 2007, 05:33 AM
ok, with winecfg i get the config box but this comes up:

~$ winecfg
Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.

what do I do in winecfg to allow me to have an emulated c folder? Or how do I get rid of all these errors and install tahoma font and steam....

Fitzy_oz
January 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
ok, with winecfg i get the config box but this comes up:

~$ winecfg

what do I do in winecfg to allow me to have an emulated c folder? Or how do I get rid of all these errors and install tahoma font and steam....

when you initially ran winecfg, did you run it with sudo? Try sudo apt-get remove wine, then re-install it... As soon as it's installed drop to a terminal and type winecfg - It will automatically create the virtual mappings for you. It's good idea to add the winehq repos as the latest version of wine runs CSS a lot better than the now out of date version that ships with Ubuntu - Instructions for this are 1 page previous.

Installing steam should just be a matter of right clicking on the setup.exe file and clicking run with wine or windows emulator. Simply install it as normal - again the latest version of wine will help here as the setup routine does'nt malfunction in the later version as it does in .22 that ships with ubuntu. Once this is done it will very kindly create the icons for you and it is at this point that I would refer to the scripts and config settings earlier in the thread to get the most out of it.
Obtaining the Tahoma font is as easy as ripping of a windows installation if you have one available - it's under windows\fonts - copy to the /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts. That should do it ;) Other wise just download it off the Internet.... and place it in the above listed directory.

Good luck :)

ramasdf123
January 29th, 2007, 03:58 AM
i have a problem with wine and CS... everytime i am playing CS it hardlocks aka freezes and I cant do anything it wont even force quit and i cannot access the desktop

and i have no sound

how can i fix these 2 problems mainly the freezing

Enverex
January 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM
i have a problem with wine and CS... everytime i am playing CS it hardlocks aka freezes and I cant do anything it wont even force quit and i cannot access the desktop

and i have no sound

how can i fix these 2 problems mainly the freezing

That sounds like the ALSA hardlock. Set Wine to use OSS in winecfg.

when you initially ran winecfg, did you run it with sudo? Try sudo apt-get remove wine, then re-install it... As soon as it's installed drop to a terminal and type winecfg - It will automatically create the virtual mappings for you. It's good idea to add the winehq repos as the latest version of wine runs CSS a lot better than the now out of date version that ships with Ubuntu - Instructions for this are 1 page previous.

Installing steam should just be a matter of right clicking on the setup.exe file and clicking run with wine or windows emulator. Simply install it as normal - again the latest version of wine will help here as the setup routine does'nt malfunction in the later version as it does in .22 that ships with ubuntu. Once this is done it will very kindly create the icons for you and it is at this point that I would refer to the scripts and config settings earlier in the thread to get the most out of it.
Obtaining the Tahoma font is as easy as ripping of a windows installation if you have one available - it's under windows\fonts - copy to the /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts. That should do it ;) Other wise just download it off the Internet.... and place it in the above listed directory.

Good luck :)

Uninstalling wont fix the breakages if wine has been run as root. You need to "sudo rm -rf ~/.wine" and then rerun winecfg as the .wine folder is independent from installations of Wine.

Fitzy_oz
January 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
That sounds like the ALSA hardlock. Set Wine to use OSS in winecfg.

Uninstalling wont fix the breakages if wine has been run as root. You need to "sudo rm -rf ~/.wine" and then rerun winecfg as the .wine folder is independent from installations of Wine.

True ... But then there isn't really annything needs to fix as it was installed for another user. By just running winecfg without the sudo should create a prefix for the correct user anyway but removing the directory created under the root user is a good idea given that it will rarely if ever be used. (For anyone who doesn't know - Using wine apps under sudo opens your system to an unnecessary security risk)

AusIV4
January 30th, 2007, 04:39 AM
A little over a week ago I made a comment about having trouble with TFC through steam. The problem is that after I play for a little while, my system completely freezes up. top on another computer connected by SSH shows hl.exe taking upwards of 150% CPU. I'm using OSS sound emulation, the open source radeon drivers, and OpenGL for rendering.

Last time I posted, all I got were suggestions on how to make my game run faster. It runs quite satisfactorily for about 5 minutes, then it freezes up and I have to hold the power button to get a reboot. At this point I'm not interested in performance tweaks unless it's also going to keep my game from freezing.

Any help is appreciated.

Enverex
January 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
True ... But then there isn't really annything needs to fix as it was installed for another user. By just running winecfg without the sudo should create a prefix for the correct user anyway but removing the directory created under the root user is a good idea given that it will rarely if ever be used. (For anyone who doesn't know - Using wine apps under sudo opens your system to an unnecessary security risk)

No, running Wine with sudo will create a .wine folder in the current users home folder but with root ownership, thus rendering Wine unusable for that user. Running Wine as root WILL most likely have dire consequences (deleting of system files, wiping of MBR, etc).

Enverex
January 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
A little over a week ago I made a comment about having trouble with TFC through steam. The problem is that after I play for a little while, my system completely freezes up. top on another computer connected by SSH shows hl.exe taking upwards of 150% CPU. I'm using OSS sound emulation, the open source radeon drivers, and OpenGL for rendering.

Last time I posted, all I got were suggestions on how to make my game run faster. It runs quite satisfactorily for about 5 minutes, then it freezes up and I have to hold the power button to get a reboot. At this point I'm not interested in performance tweaks unless it's also going to keep my game from freezing.

Any help is appreciated.

What graphics card? But to be honest, if you're using the Open source Radeon drivers then I'm not all that supprised, they aren't the best in the world. What version of Wine are you using?

PrairieShaman
January 30th, 2007, 10:37 AM
thanks for this thread everyone, after reading through it I got CS:S to work on ubuntu!

awesome!!

Fitzy_oz
January 31st, 2007, 12:39 PM
What graphics card? But to be honest, if you're using the Open source Radeon drivers then I'm not all that supprised, they aren't the best in the world. What version of Wine are you using?

They're kind of hit and miss with the new cards I think, probably due to the fact that the DRI project has had to reverse engineer the drivers after ATI stopped providing them with the specs for their cards. Have you used the prop. drivers for ATI for this game (or any other wine 3d FPS game)? I get really ordinary performance out of them on my 9600se which traditionally wipes the floor with my Nvidia FX5200 under windows, yet the opposite applies under linux? Any thoughts?

Enverex
January 31st, 2007, 01:00 PM
They're kind of hit and miss with the new cards I think, probably due to the fact that the DRI project has had to reverse engineer the drivers after ATI stopped providing them with the specs for their cards. Have you used the prop. drivers for ATI for this game (or any other wine 3d FPS game)? I get really ordinary performance out of them on my 9600se which traditionally wipes the floor with my Nvidia FX5200 under windows, yet the opposite applies under linux? Any thoughts?

That's because the official ATi drivers also suck (but not quite as badly as the open source ones). My old GeForce 4 MX comes close to the performance of my Radon 9700 Pro with official drivers, so that should give you a rough idea of what I mean. Basically if you want to play games then don't use ATi.

Fitzy_oz
January 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
That's because the official ATi drivers also suck (but not quite as badly as the open source ones). My old GeForce 4 MX comes close to the performance of my Radon 9700 Pro with official drivers, so that should give you a rough idea of what I mean. Basically if you want to play games then don't use ATi.

I'm not holding my breathe... As I said, i've got the FX5200 in the main computer which seems to do the job just fine...

AusIV4
January 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Graphics card is a Mobility Radeon X600. Wine version 0.9.30.

I was under the impression that the while the open source Radeon wouldn't provide the best performance, they were more stable than the binary drivers. If this isn't the case, I may consider installing the binary drivers.

Fitzy_oz
February 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Graphics card is a Mobility Radeon X600. Wine version 0.9.30.

I was under the impression that the while the open source Radeon wouldn't provide the best performance, they were more stable than the binary drivers. If this isn't the case, I may consider installing the binary drivers.

I really don't have any trouble in relation to the stability of the proprietary drivers and they are definitely faster than the open source. When installing them just make sure you follow the guide as I had a lot of trouble getting direct rendering to work (which is essential if you want to play games). Check out this page (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation_Guide)

ghandi69_
February 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi Guys!

I seem to have installed steam fine. I go to run it, and I click on CounterStrike:Source to start the installation. It brings up the "Preparing CounterStrikeSource files for install... and the progress bar will get to 100% and it will just sit there.. forever and ever.. it doesn't freeze... cuz the
three "..." go from "." to ".." to "..." continusouly to show its running. Any ideas who to move to the next step

AMD 3200 +
Nvidia 7600 GT nvidia-glx drivers
Edgy

cherva
February 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
i run my CSS with the command
nice -20 wine hl2.exe -game cstrike -gl -console
the "-gl" makes the game in Open GL

Fitzy_oz
February 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Guys!

I seem to have installed steam fine. I go to run it, and I click on CounterStrike:Source to start the installation. It brings up the "Preparing CounterStrikeSource files for install... and the progress bar will get to 100% and it will just sit there.. forever and ever.. it doesn't freeze... cuz the
three "..." go from "." to ".." to "..." continusouly to show its running. Any ideas who to move to the next step

AMD 3200 +
Nvidia 7600 GT nvidia-glx drivers
Edgy

try running steam from the command line to see if it's encountering any stubs in the code that will prevent it from downloading the files.

I reinstalled steam just 2 hours ago and had no problems with it - Mines downloading the ship at the moment and I didn't encounter that anything like that. Do you have any other Steam games installed yet? And which version of wine are you using (if it's not 0.9.30 install that version).

ghandi69_
February 12th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Fitzy...

It turns out problems I was having with my system related to the virtualbox package was my problem..

Now steam runs fine and the game runs fine.. a little lower performance however...

qustions::

1.I heard there was a way to hide all the fixme's that show up in the console while playing? And doing this is supposed to increase performance. I tried the command found on the HOWTO from linuxgamers.net..

WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine Steam

and running it that way.. but it says ...command "WINEDEBUG blah blah" not found.

2. The only other problem the game has is that whenever there is a grenade that explodes on my screen.. ( It could only be flash grenade or smoke.. but I never get a chance to see!) but whenever a grenade explodes my screen freezes for about 8 seconds. I'm guessing these grenades use some kind of rendering not supported by the wine method.. any fixes for this? Thanks guys!

Ghandi

to4i
February 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
You need the tahoma and lucida console fonts from windows which are located under the c:\windows\fonts folder on a windows computer, otherwise you will have to download them and place them in your /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts folder. That should fix the menu.
I put the fonts in the folder but still have the same problem:
"the game starts up , but menu screen is blank i get flashing cursor so I blindly select options or whatever then eventually I can see menu"
Any other ideas.

EDIT: FIXED using this switch: -dxlevel70

Fitzy_oz
February 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks Fitzy...

It turns out problems I was having with my system related to the virtualbox package was my problem..

Now steam runs fine and the game runs fine.. a little lower performance however...

qustions::

1.I heard there was a way to hide all the fixme's that show up in the console while playing? And doing this is supposed to increase performance. I tried the command found on the HOWTO from linuxgamers.net..

WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine Steam

and running it that way.. but it says ...command "WINEDEBUG blah blah" not found.

2. The only other problem the game has is that whenever there is a grenade that explodes on my screen.. ( It could only be flash grenade or smoke.. but I never get a chance to see!) but whenever a grenade explodes my screen freezes for about 8 seconds. I'm guessing these grenades use some kind of rendering not supported by the wine method.. any fixes for this? Thanks guys!

Ghandi

Mine has only recently started freezing on the flashes and I assumed it was just something isolated to my computer - Apparently not. I'm working on it, will let you know how i go.

Edit: I'm Reverting back to 0.29 and failing that i'll go back to 0.28 to see if there's any connection between the version changes - I will post my results as this wasn't a problem for me a month ago - I think it has something to do with the new D3d implementation code they're working on.

running steam with WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam.exe" should be done from the terminal or create a script by pasting this command into a text file and saving it with an extension of sh example steam.sh and use this to launch the game.

ghandi69_
February 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'll be checking on the flash problem as well...

(although lately I've been playing a lot of doom 3, not sure when I 'll get back to cs....)

thanks for the help on the fix me command...

Fitzy_oz
February 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I'll be checking on the flash problem as well...

(although lately I've been playing a lot of doom 3, not sure when I 'll get back to cs....)

thanks for the help on the fix me command...

Reverting to wine 0.9.29 corrected this error for me.

jseiser
February 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
whew, tried everything in this thread and all it took was re-installing wine a few times and it eventually worked. The only thing is, when i installed steam, i moved my maps/cfg's over to /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam but when i enter to a game i still have to dl maps and my cfg's are absent. I also installed the veranda font from the thread, could someone please post or show me where i can get the other font steam is missing? I googled lucinda console but couldnt find one allowing me to download. Another question is there really a c:/program files folder on my computer? I know this is the structure that steam is in on windows, but why does wine put everything in /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam when i can only launch steam from c/program files/etc steam.exe. If there really is a c/program files do i jus tput my cfg's and maps in there?

Jarn
February 17th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I just updated to 0.9.31 and now Counter-Strike doesn't work. When I select it from the Steam menu, it starts up, has the Counter-Strike background, says "Loading..." in the bottom right... then the screen goes gray and my mouse flashes. I never tried steam in 0.9.30, so I'm not sure when this started. I know it worked in 0.9.29.

Protoss
February 17th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I was having the flashband problem on 0.9.30 and found that turning the resolution to 1024x768 fixes it. No need to downgrade to .29 or anything.

bastiegast
February 17th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I just updated to 0.9.31 and now Counter-Strike doesn't work. When I select it from the Steam menu, it starts up, has the Counter-Strike background, says "Loading..." in the bottom right... then the screen goes gray and my mouse flashes. I never tried steam in 0.9.30, so I'm not sure when this started. I know it worked in 0.9.29.

Having exactly the same problem since 0.9.31 upgrade. The game loads, as soon as the menu should appear the screen goes gray. However the game is still running underneath and I can hear when I move my mouse over the buttons.

GFree
February 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Also have the same menu issues as noted when I upgraded to 0.9.31.

Protoss
February 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah I just upgraded to 0.9.31 and all Source-based games seem to be broken...dang, and I was hoping .31 would allow me to run CS at my native res =/
Seems it isn't an issue with Wine, as according to this comment (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3731&mode=nested#Comment-18222), the 'flashbang freeze' was fixed with 0.9.31.

Seems that the menu is broken in .31 but if you add "+map de_dust" into the Steam Launch Options, it should load de_dust and then you'll be able to press Escape and the menu will be fully functional. Hopefully someone finds a workaround for this, as loading dust every time is somewhat lengthy.

GFree
February 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Well, there seems to be a workaround (tested, works for me):

---------------

Sorry I should have mentioned - the menu is indeed broken in 0.9.31.

However if you open the console (with `) once you're in the broken menu, you can type:

map de_dust (or whatever map you like)

To start a game!

From there, if you press Esc, the menu works ok (unless you disconnect from the server).

If you have the console disabled, you can do it by changing the launch options in Steam so that you have:

+map de_dust (or whatever map you like).

Hope that helps!

-------------- (from the above link)

EDIT: From testing other Source games I've determined the problem. If the game is NOT running a map (eg. upon startup of CSS), you'll have issues with the menu. Thing is, HL2 works fine because it has an animated map upon startup, underneath the menu; CSS just has a static image. If you turn off the 3D background in HL2 you'll suffer the same problem. Also, if you're in CSS and you disconnect, this will also screw with the menu because you'll return to the static image.

Fitzy_oz
February 18th, 2007, 03:02 AM
whew, tried everything in this thread and all it took was re-installing wine a few times and it eventually worked. The only thing is, when i installed steam, i moved my maps/cfg's over to /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam but when i enter to a game i still have to dl maps and my cfg's are absent. I also installed the veranda font from the thread, could someone please post or show me where i can get the other font steam is missing? I googled lucinda console but couldnt find one allowing me to download. Another question is there really a c:/program files folder on my computer? I know this is the structure that steam is in on windows, but why does wine put everything in /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam when i can only launch steam from c/program files/etc steam.exe. If there really is a c/program files do i jus tput my cfg's and maps in there?

Okay, I don't use the Lucida console font personally so I don't know whether it works or with what results - If you still have a windows installation on a computer nearby, goto to the "c:\windows\fonts" folder and copy the tahoma.ttf file otherwise download it from the net by searching for tahoma.ttf. (I copy all of the windows fonts from my windows box anyway just to be sure). The font file goes under the following path /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
As for the cfg's and files like that you have created or "migrated" from another copy of CSS, I'm pretty sure they need to go under your specific Steam user name folder which has the decompressed game folders, I've attached a screenshot to show you what I mean but the path would be something like this /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/<steam username>/counter-strike source/cstrike/cfg and /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/<steam username>/counter-strike source/cstrike/maps respectively.
Hope that helps

I was having the flashband problem on 0.9.30 and found that turning the resolution to 1024x768 fixes it. No need to downgrade to .29 or anything.

Yeah, i'd love to run it in 1024*768 but sadly my poor old FX5200 doesn't like doing anything over 800*600 under linux, It's a bit much for the old card. 0.29 works perfectly for me without the need to start with a map on the console. I think i'll just wait until .32 before I upgrade again and see if the menu and other issue s are fixed first. That being said are there any major performance differences with the workaround in place from .29 to .31, speed differences?

GFree
February 18th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I have another question. This has happened with both .30 and .31 of WINE, but I can't seem to get CSS to run for any great length of time before it crashes. If I run my own game (i.e. new server, not connecting to a net server), it seems to be fine. If I connect to a server on the net though, it will hang for a few seconds and crash/disappear during either the join, where the black message box is displayed, or soon after. I've noticed HL2 will occasionally crash in the same manner, though not as frequently. Kinda makes it difficult to play much CSS.

That and the fact transparent textures seem to have some issues with not being shown, but that's another story.

Fitzy_oz
February 18th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I have another question. This has happened with both .30 and .31 of WINE, but I can't seem to get CSS to run for any great length of time before it crashes. If I run my own game (i.e. new server, not connecting to a net server), it seems to be fine. If I connect to a server on the net though, it will hang for a few seconds and crash/disappear during either the join, where the black message box is displayed, or soon after. I've noticed HL2 will occasionally crash in the same manner, though not as frequently. Kinda makes it difficult to play much CSS.

That and the fact transparent textures seem to have some issues with not being shown, but that's another story.

Mine crashes but only when I try and muck around with too many settings at once and as yet I have not tried 0.9.31 due to the posts here. Did u have these issues in 0.9.29? Might be worth pasting a bug report in the appdb on winehq.org

GFree
February 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Mine crashes but only when I try and muck around with too many settings at once and as yet I have not tried 0.9.31 due to the posts here. Did u have these issues in 0.9.29? Might be worth pasting a bug report in the appdb on winehq.org
I've tried many things including forcing dxlevel 7, but it doesn't seem to do much to fix the crashing. It's difficult to pin-point the cause, so I'll keep looking. I never tried 0.9.29; the moment I installed Ubuntu I made sure I had the latest version. Ah well.

Pugwash
February 18th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'm downloading css now, hope it works :grin: !

ghandi69_
February 18th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Hey all... I'm running wine version .31 (well I did a sudo apt-get upgrade wine.. which I'm pretty sure got me 3.1) .. and its still running the same as before which gives me two problems...

1.)Game still freezes whenever I see flash grenade.

2.) Game runs pretty good performance wise.. however when I try to use the WINEDEBUG thinger... I get an error saying... "command not found"

and ideas?

Fitzy_oz
February 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I've tried many things including forcing dxlevel 7, but it doesn't seem to do much to fix the crashing. It's difficult to pin-point the cause, so I'll keep looking. I never tried 0.9.29; the moment I installed Ubuntu I made sure I had the latest version. Ah well.

Might be worth running it from the console with out the WINEDEBUG="-all" and force CSS to run in a window so you can see the output in the console, might give you a hint to what is triggering the crash....

Fitzy_oz
February 18th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hey all... I'm running wine version .31 (well I did a sudo apt-get upgrade wine.. which I'm pretty sure got me 3.1) .. and its still running the same as before which gives me two problems...

1.)Game still freezes whenever I see flash grenade.
Disable the wine repositories, then get the 0.9.29 deb from here (http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html) and install it, this resolved my issue

2.) Game runs pretty good performance wise.. however when I try to use the WINEDEBUG thinger... I get an error saying... "command not found"

and ideas?

drop to the console and paste this in WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 240

Protoss
February 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, there is a patch for Wine to fix HL2 and CSS menus!
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-patches/2007-February/035990.html
I'm going to try it now, and see if it actually fixes it.

bastiegast
February 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM
How do you apply a patch?

Protoss
February 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I think the patch was made to be applied to Wine-GIT, so I am going to just apply it manually (No clue if I did it correctly), see if it actually fixes it, and then I'll just upload the package.

Jarn
February 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
It does fix it. I applied it a few days ago. I should have posted it here, but I didn't think of it. However, the patch didn't work with the patch command - it errored out. I had to change the listed stuff manually.

However, I have another problem. Steam runs fine, but when I try to launch CS:S it tells me the registry is in use by another process. And every time I do shut down correctly (File -> Exit).

EDIT: Oh, this seemed to fix it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1960714&postcount=3 - However, I have no sound :(. Hardware Acceleration is emulation, Default sample rate is 44100, Default bits per sample is 16, Driver emulation is checked, and OSS is set in winecfg.

Protoss
February 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
=/ Well I applied the patch to fix the menu problem, but now nothing else works. HL2's menu works fine, I can access the Options menu, but CSS freezes whenever I try to start or join a game, or even access the Options menu.

pepolez
March 3rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
The method posted here did not work as excepted for me.

(Using wine_0.9.30-0ubuntu2~edgy1_i386)
I found that instead of running

$ wine setup

I had to run

$ winecfg

Secondly, I had to put the command to start Steam into a bash script:

#!/bin/sh
## Start steam with WINE
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe"

This was simply to get Steam to start in the first place. After starting Steam, I encountered the window focus glitch, requiring me to right and then left click in the username and password fields. Also Steam has decided that all of my purchased games were only preloaded. Now that I had Steam running, I exited Steam and copied the 'steamapps' directory from my windows Steam installation.

After doing this, I started Steam again, and logged in. Steam was still convinced I didn't own any games, and that they were simply preloaded. I tried logging out and logging in with my brother's account, and all of the games except for GarrysMod 10 showed up correctly.

Next, I tried to start Counterstrike source, which garbled my screen (http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/startup.png) but did start correctly, without any evident problems. Next I tried joining an empty server. After waiting normal (same as windows) load times, the game loaded successfully and I was able to select a team, player model and weapons. I could run around the level (de_aztec) and do everything normally, except for a few texture glitches:
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/de_aztec0002.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/de_aztec0003.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/de_aztec0004.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/de_aztec0005.jpg

Seeing that this worked, I decided to try starting a local server (with map cs_office). Which I was able to do successfully. Again I could move around and play the game normally, aside from a few texture problems including missing fog:
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/cs_office0008.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/cs_office0012.jpg
and weird ice like stuff on some walls:
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/cs_office0009.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/cs_office0010.jpg
http://beta.toxicantidote.net/files/indexok/ubuntu-css/cs_office0011.jpg

Next I decided to try joining a server with about 8 players playing cs_office. As soon as the game had loaded, it lagged to an unplayable level, with characters warping everywhere and >400ms latency (my latency to the server is normally around 20ms). Although the FPS meter reported 13fps, this appeared as if it was rendering a frame approximately every 7 seconds.

After this, I read through this thread a bit further, and decided to upgrade WINE (to version wine_0.9.31~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1_i386). Steam started again fine, and I was able to login to my brother's account (mine still said everything was only preloaded) but this time when I tried to start Counterstrike source, I was presented with the garbled screen while it was loading and then with a blank grey screen. I tried moving the mouse around a bit, and found the menu had loaded, but simply was not shown. I was able to move my mouse to where the quit button would have been and press it. The screen then turned white, but I was able to click where the 'quit game' option in the dialog box would be.

I then decided to try starting Halflife 2. This started ok, again with the garbled screen, but then changing to the Halflife 2 loading screen (blurred background, black box saying
'Loading'). After this the game simply gave me a greenish grey (teal?) screen. I was not able to exit the game by clicking where the quit button would have been, and was forced to restart the X server (ctrl+alt+backspace).

After the upgrade, even with any combination of the '-gl' and '-dxlevel 81' game command line options I had the same result.

I have no idea what to do here, other then include some information (collected after upgrading WINE):

System specs:
AMD Semperon 2400+ (1.6GHz)
XFX nVidia 6600GT AGP graphics card
1GB unknown brand DDR RAM
MSI KM4AM-L motherboard

Terminal output when starting Steam:

7err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got

4b0b9012 while expecting b2d876d1)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 64f71bbd while expecting c34120d0)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 37737ec1 while expecting 5f878f92)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 240df4c3 while expecting 96bfbe8d)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 786b232d while expecting 6438b370)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 61383a03 while expecting a3c17729)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got de7b20bf while expecting 08ebb121)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got fbce8c37 while expecting dfe04873)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got eac9c054 while expecting a8f718cf)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 97ad029c while expecting 430b342a)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got b331dc2e while expecting 574dc8d2)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 8b691573 while expecting 5ccd22a3)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 860f4619 while expecting 702c3ab4)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got b7c819c9 while expecting f679ad14)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got ebf85602 while expecting 7783ce51)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 18e1ba4c while expecting 03449ac6)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 18760f3e while expecting 5cbae5d7)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 41e1f9a6 while expecting dbb3553b)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 6c2ab690 while expecting 82dcf21e)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got d1619f5e while expecting a4873846)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 1b3b353b while expecting dc4315be)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 9f44ede3 while expecting b0164827)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 158b670b while expecting c0d3aae9)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 730b689d while expecting bb3d4695)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 409c20c8 while expecting 5a2362e6)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 3117bb85 while expecting 3f1033ce)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got ddc3c9f6 while expecting da51481b)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 6b854447 while expecting 9afeeab8)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 980c03f3 while expecting 5768dd08)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 9d20bc6c while expecting ce5ab09f)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got b425c94f while expecting fb5386b8)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got c00f8568 while expecting 944aaa52)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got cfaf839f while expecting 28b76abe)

err:dbghelp:elf_load_debug_info_from_map Bad CRC for module (got 0118ed6f while expecting dc880658)

err:systray:delete_icon invalid tray icon ID specified: 1d

Terminal output when starting Counterstrike Source or Halflife 2:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered

err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} could be created for context 0x1

err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (XRandR)

glxinfo

name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
GLX version: 1.3
GLX extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.76
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow,
GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_imaging,
GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite,
GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_float,
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_texture_float,
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_point_parameters,
GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture3D,
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp,
GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_timer_query,
GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_HP_occlusion_test, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip,
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square,
GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_fence,
GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_NV_fragment_program,
GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_NV_fragment_program2,
GL_NV_gpu_program_parameters, GL_NV_half_float, GL_NV_light_max_exponent,
GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_NV_occlusion_query,
GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_NV_register_combiners,
GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4,
GL_NV_texture_expand_normal, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3,
GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program,
GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_NV_vertex_program2,
GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_NV_vertex_program3,
GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_SUN_slice_accum
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x22 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x23 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x24 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x25 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x26 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x27 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x28 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x29 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2a 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2b 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2c 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2d 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2e 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x2f 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x30 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x31 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x32 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x33 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x34 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x35 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x36 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x37 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x38 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x39 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x3a 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x3b 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x3c 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x3d 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x3e 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x3f 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x40 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x41 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x42 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x43 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x44 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x45 24 tc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x46 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x47 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x48 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x49 24 tc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x4a 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x4b 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x4c 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x4d 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x4e 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x4f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x50 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x51 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x52 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x53 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x54 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x55 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x56 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x57 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x58 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 0 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x59 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x5a 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x5b 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x5c 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x5d 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x5e 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x5f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x60 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x61 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x62 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x63 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x64 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x65 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x66 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x67 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x68 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 8 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x69 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x6a 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x6b 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x6c 24 dc 0 32 0 r y . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x6d 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x6e 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
0x6f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x70 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 16 0 16 16 16 16 4 1 Ncon
0x134 32 tc 1 0 0 c . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 None

/proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1665.978
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips : 3335.32

uname -a

Linux nibbler 2.6.17-11-386 #2 Thu Feb 1 19:50:13 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

lshw

nibbler
description: Desktop Computer
product: KM400-8237
vendor: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
configuration: boot=normal chassis=desktop
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: MS-6734
vendor: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
physical id: 0
*-firmware
description: BIOS
vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
version: 6.00 PG (07/28/2004)
size: 128KB
capacity: 448KB
capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp ls120boot zipboot
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.8.1
slot: Socket A
size: 1666MHz
capacity: 2100MHz
clock: 166MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 8
slot: Internal Cache
size: 128KB
capacity: 128KB
capabilities: synchronous internal write-back
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 9
slot: External Cache
size: 256KB
capacity: 256KB
capabilities: synchronous external write-back
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 19
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1GB
capacity: 2GB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM
product: None
vendor: None
serial: None
slot: A0
size: 512MB
*-bank:1
description: DIMM
product: None
vendor: None
physical id: 1
serial: None
slot: A1
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: VT8378 [KM400/A] Chipset Host Bridge
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: c0000000
bus info: pci@00:00.0
version: 00
clock: 66MHz
resources: iomemory:c0000000-cfffffff
*-pci
description: PCI bridge
product: VT8237 PCI Bridge
bus info: pci@00:01.0
capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master cap_list
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NV43 [GeForce 6600/GeForce 6600 GT]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
bus info: pci@01:00.0
version: a2
size: 256MB
capabilities: vga bus_master vga_palette cap_list
configuration: driver=nvidia
resources: iomemory:e0000000-e0ffffff iomemory:d0000000-dfffffff iomemory:e1000000-e1ffffff irq:201
*-network:0
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 7
bus info: pci@00:07.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:30:bd:19:15:76
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegociation
configuration: autonegociation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.27 duplex=full ip=192.168.2.3 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
resources: ioport:d000-d0ff iomemory:e4000000-e40000ff irq:193
*-ide
description: IDE interface
product: VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE
physical id: f
bus info: pci@00:0f.0
version: 06
capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=VIA_IDE
resources: ioport:d400-d40f irq:169
*-ide:0
description: IDE Channel 0
bus info: ide@0
logical name: ide0
*-disk:0
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD800JB-00FMA0
vendor: Western Digital
bus info: ide@0.0
logical name: /dev/hda
version: 13.03G13
serial: WD-WMAJ91083579
size: 74GB
capacity: 74GB
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
*-volume:0
description: HPFS/NTFS partition
bus info: ide@0.0,1
logical name: /dev/hda1
capacity: 10236MB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:1
description: Linux filesystem partition
physical id: 2
bus info: ide@0.0,2
logical name: /dev/hda2
capacity: 101MB
capabilities: primary
*-volume:2
description: Linux swap / Solaris partition
physical id: 3
bus info: ide@0.0,3
logical name: /dev/hda3
capacity: 509MB
capabilities: primary nofs
*-volume:3
description: Extended partition
bus info: ide@0.0,4
logical name: /dev/hda4
capacity: 63GB
capabilities: extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-disk:1
description: ATA Disk
product: ST3120022A
vendor: Seagate
bus info: ide@0.1
logical name: /dev/hdb
version: 8.54
serial: 5JS3GA1M
size: 111GB
capacity: 111GB
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart security pm partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: mode=udma5 smart=on
*-volume
description: W95 Ext'd (LBA) partition
bus info: ide@0.1,1
logical name: /dev/hdb1
capacity: 111GB
*-ide:1
description: IDE Channel 1
bus info: ide@1
logical name: ide1
*-cdrom:0
description: DVD reader
product: PIONEER DVD-117RD 0105
vendor: Pioneer
bus info: ide@1.0
logical name: /dev/hdc
version: 1.05
capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy pm audio dvd
configuration: mode=udma4
*-disc
logical name: /dev/hdc
*-cdrom:1
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
bus info: ide@1.1
logical name: /dev/hdd
version: A103
serial: K2653HC0948
capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy pm audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: mode=udma2
*-disc
logical name: /dev/hdd
*-usb:0
description: USB Controller
product: VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller
physical id: 10
bus info: pci@00:10.0
version: 81
capabilities: uhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd
resources: ioport:d800-d81f irq:177
*-usbhost
product: UHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.17-11-386 uhci_hcd
bus info: usb@1
logical name: usb1
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=2 speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb
description: Mouse
product: ET-0405A-UV2.0-3
vendor: WACOM
bus info: usb@1:1
version: 2.03
configuration: driver=wacom maxpower=40mA speed=1.5MB/s
*-usb:1
physical id: 10.1
bus info: pci@00:10.1
resources: ioport:dc00-dc1f irq:177
*-usbhost
bus info: usb@2
logical name: usb2
description: USB hub
product: G11 Keyboard
vendor: Logitech, Inc.
bus info: usb@2:1
version: 1.71
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=100mA slots=4 speed=12.0MB/s
description: Keyboard
product: Gaming Keyboard
bus info: usb@2:1.1
version: 1.90
capabilities: usb-2.00
configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=1.5MB/s
description: Human interface device
product: G11 Keyboard
bus info: usb@2:1.4
version: 1.71
configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=100mA speed=12.0MB/s
description: Mouse
product: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
vendor: Logitech
bus info: usb@2:2
version: 27.10
configuration: driver=usbhid maxpower=98mA speed=1.5MB/s
*-usb:2
physical id: 10.2
bus info: pci@00:10.2
resources: ioport:e000-e01f irq:177
*-usbhost
bus info: usb@3
logical name: usb3
*-usb:3
physical id: 10.3
bus info: pci@00:10.3
resources: ioport:e400-e41f irq:177
*-usbhost
bus info: usb@4
logical name: usb4
*-usb:4
product: USB 2.0
physical id: 10.4
bus info: pci@00:10.4
version: 86
capabilities: ehci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd
resources: iomemory:e4001000-e40010ff irq:177
*-usbhost
product: EHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.17-11-386 ehci_hcd
bus info: usb@5
logical name: usb5
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=8 speed=480.0MB/s
description: Mass storage device
product: USB Mass Storage Device
vendor: Myson Century, Inc.
physical id: 5
bus info: usb@5:5
logical name: scsi0
version: b0.07
serial: 100
capabilities: usb-2.00 emulated scsi-host
configuration: driver=usb-storage maxpower=10mA speed=480.0MB/s
*-disk
description: SCSI Disk
product: MHV2040AH
vendor: FUJITSU
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 0000
size: 37GB
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
*-volume
description: W95 FAT32 partition
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
capacity: 37GB
description: USB hub
product: USB2.0 Hub
vendor: Genesys Logic, Inc.
physical id: 7
bus info: usb@5:7
version: 6.0b
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=100mA slots=4 speed=480.0MB/s
*-isa UNCLAIMED
description: ISA bridge
product: VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
physical id: 11
bus info: pci@00:11.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
*-multimedia
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
physical id: 11.5
bus info: pci@00:11.5
version: 60
capabilities: cap_list
configuration: driver=VIA 82xx Audio
resources: ioport:e800-e8ff irq:209
*-network:1
product: VT6102 [Rhine-II]
physical id: 12
bus info: pci@00:12.0
logical name: eth1
version: 78
serial: 00:11:09:2c:59:e6
size: 100MB/s
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegociation
configuration: autonegociation=on broadcast=yes driver=via-rhine driverversion=1.2.0-2.6 duplex=full ip=172.20.0.205 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
resources: ioport:ec00-ecff iomemory:e4002000-e40020ff irq:185

Anybody have any ideas? If not I might have to keep dualbooting so I can play my games :<

ijjz
March 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM
After this, I read through this thread a bit further, and decided to upgrade WINE (to version wine_0.9.31~winehq0~ubuntu~6.10-1_i386). Steam started again fine, and I was able to login to my brother's account (mine still said everything was only preloaded) but this time when I tried to start Counterstrike source, I was presented with the garbled screen while it was loading and then with a blank grey screen. I tried moving the mouse around a bit, and found the menu had loaded, but simply was not shown. I was able to move my mouse to where the quit button would have been and press it. The screen then turned white, but I was able to click where the 'quit game' option in the dialog box would be.

I then decided to try starting Halflife 2. This started ok, again with the garbled screen, but then changing to the Halflife 2 loading screen (blurred background, black box saying
'Loading'). After this the game simply gave me a greenish grey (teal?) screen. I was not able to exit the game by clicking where the quit button would have been, and was forced to restart the X server (ctrl+alt+backspace).

After the upgrade, even with any combination of the '-gl' and '-dxlevel 81' game command line options I had the same result.

I have no idea what to do here, other then include some information (collected after upgrading WINE):

The gray screen issue is a problem with wine 0.9.31.

Wine 0.9.32 was just released last night which should fix this problem.

To get around this, add
+map de_dust to your startup command, once loaded you should be able to get access to the menu.

Pugwash
March 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
No, its not working for me, I get a black screen after the loading screen. I've entered "+map de_dust" in the launcher options but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody know whats wrong?

Fitzy_oz
March 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM
No, its not working for me, I get a black screen after the loading screen. I've entered "+map de_dust" in the launcher options but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody know whats wrong?

Try running winecfg and enabling the pixel shader checkbox under the video section - This worked for me for 0..9.31. Alternatively - I just run CSS as normal and when the gray blank screen appears i hit the console key and type map de_dust and hit enter. this starts a local server for that map after whcih the menu will be visible and you will be able to seledct the options normally provided there is a map loaded in the background.

finite9
March 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
From what I can tell the -gl option doesn't offer much of a performance boost but it does seem to eliminate a lot of the graphical glitches I was getting without it.

how do you pass the -gl option? I have a steam link on the desktop that starts:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/andrew/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe"

and if I add -gl to that before the last double quote then steam doesn't start. If I type:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/andrew/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\adhenry\half-life 2\hl2.exe -gl"

then wine says that the program could not be found. How do you do this?

frodon
March 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks mate, i tested it and it works like a charm, what is hard to believe is that i get better results with wine than cedega !

I think i will give up cedega soon.

Again thank you.

jacksaff
March 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM

and if I add -gl to that before the last double quote then steam doesn't start. If I type:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/andrew/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\adhenry\half-life 2\hl2.exe -gl"

The -gl is inside the quotes so wine thinks it is part of the file name. Try the command using \ to escape the '\'s and the spaces instead of using the ".

Fitzy_oz
March 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Hey,
The -gl option must be passed from within steam under the games properties.
Right click on Counter-Strike Source and select properties, then goto advanced or startup options (I can;t remeber off the top of my head) and add the switch -gl in there.

finite9
March 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hey,
The -gl option must be passed from within steam under the games properties.
Right click on Counter-Strike Source and select properties, then goto advanced or startup options (I can;t remeber off the top of my head) and add the switch -gl in there.

Thanks, that solved it; In Steam, when you choose the Games tab, right-click the game in question then choose Properties|Advanced and startup options. Here I could add -gl or -dxlevel 90.

-gl solved the issue for me! But performance suffered slightly and gfx do *not* look as nice as dx 9 :( -dxlevel 90 changed the hardware setting in-game so that both hw and sw read dx 90 but it was running completely in software mode!! Even though I forced it, it would not use my cards hardware acceleration for dx 9. So basically it ran like a pig. Shame as dx 9 does unfortunately look nicer in hl2.

Thanks for the tip!!

frodon
March 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I have a question.

I have good performances with counter strike source and steam but i wonder if i can increase the performances forcing counter strike source to use opengl and not directx and does forcing the game to use opengl will make the game using hardware acceleration instead of emulation ?
I am not using any options to launch steam and my main problem is that i don't have access to my biggest resolution which is 1280*1024.

finite9
March 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM
When I force opengl, it runs slightly slower than dx. I compare the first opening scene in HL2, as there are no dx9 specific effects until you come out of the train station in HL2. I am running a Core2Duo 7200 with 2GB RAM and nVidia Go 7600 512MB on a HP Pavilion so maybe if you have lower specs, the performance difference between gl and dx will be greater.

I have to force gl despite slightly lower performance as dx9 runs like its on a dx50 with 4MB ram when I come across and dx9 specific effects.

mayfer
March 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM

with me, changing the sound driver from both ALSA and OSS to only OSS in winecfg solved this exact same problem.

cheers,
- Murat

frodon
March 30th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Unfortunatly the OP is not often here to keep this guide up date, i wonder if one of you would be interested to post an updated guide based on the first post and keep it up to date.
It would be good to include for example the detail of the possible option like -gl, -dxlevel, -console and so on.
Also it would be good to list all the wine version which have problems to run steam, from what i know 0.30 and 0.31.
Anyone tested CSS with wine 0.33 ?

If anyone is interested go for it then send me the link to the new thread and i will close this one and leave a link to the updated thread.

Enverex
March 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Unfortunatly the OP is not often here to keep this guide up date, i wonder if one of you would be interested to post an updated guide based on the first post and keep it up to date.
It would be good to include for example the detail of the possible option like -gl, -dxlevel, -console and so on.
Also it would be good to list all the wine version which have problems to run steam, from what i know 0.30 and 0.31.
Anyone tested CSS with wine 0.33 ?

If anyone is interested go for it then send me the link to the new thread and i will close this one and leave a link to the updated thread.

Actually a better idea would be to add the guide as a "HowTo" on the appDB page so everyone can make use of it rather than putting it in an obscure thread in a forum.

frodon
March 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Which appDB are you refering to ?
We need a thread for support and maintain the guide up to date in all the case IMO, the purpose is just to have someone to maintain the guide.

Enverex
March 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Which appDB are you refering to ?
We need a thread for support and maintain the guide up to date in all the case IMO, the purpose is just to have someone to maintain the guide.

The Official Wine Application Compatibility Database, the one everyone is expected to check before asking for help with the program they are trying to run. http://appdb.winehq.org

frodon
March 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Good call, we should add this link somewhere in a sticky.

Thanks for pointing this out.

StarLog
April 3rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
How do I get past the blob error that was mentioned earlier.
I launches, then cannot find or create a blob.

frodon
April 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
I tested the guide with wine 0.32 and the new wine 0.34 without any problems however you will got a black screen if you enabled GLSL shader so remove the entry you added in the registry if you are going to use these versions.
About the performances the gain is really good, i got an average FPS of 56 with wine 0.22 and 76 with wine 0.34 and i use -gl and -dxlevel 80 option.

So if you don't use GLSL shader or don't mind removing it go for wine 0.34 you will gain performances.

CptCrncher87
April 6th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and have been into gaming for awhile so when i saw you can put CS on here i jumped at it and have been working on getting it to work for awhile. Normally i like to avoid posting if at all possible about my problems because they end up being stupid in some say or form but this one has got me stumped. After months of trying to get CS to even start i now have the problem of horrible lag. I am pulling off 1.54 FPS and i can't seem to increase that at all. I have looked up and down this thread to see if there was anything i can do and i have tried all that i can to get it to work but it has got me stumped. I am running it on an Inspiron E1505 with an ATI graphics card. Any advice on the problem i'm having would be most appreciated. Here are my specs i tried eliminating spots i didn't think were important such as usb and what-not:

description: Portable Computer
product: MM061
vendor: Dell Inc.
serial: BYN1Z91
capabilities: smbios-2.4 dmi-2.4
configuration: boot=normal chassis=portable uuid=44454C4C-5900-104E-8031-C2C04F5A3931
*-core
description: Motherboard
product: 0XD720
serial: .BYN1Z91.CN4864364A2091.
*-firmware
description: BIOS
version: A12 (12/18/2006)
size: 64KB
capacity: 512KB
capabilities: isa pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb agp smartbattery biosbootspecification netboot
*-cpu:0
description: CPU
product: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 400
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.14.8
serial: 0000-06E8-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: Microprocessor
size: 1GHz
capacity: 1800MHz
clock: 166MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr cpufreq
configuration: id=0
*-cache:0
description: L1 cache
physical id: 700
size: 32KB
capacity: 32KB
capabilities: internal write-back data
*-cache:1
description: L2 cache
physical id: 701
size: 2MB
capacity: 2MB
clock: 66MHz (15ns)
capabilities: pipeline-burst internal varies unified
*-logicalcpu:0
description: Logical CPU
physical id: 0.1
capabilities: logical
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 0.2
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 1000
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1GB
*-bank:0
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
product: 64T64020HDL3.7A
vendor: C100000000000000
serial: 021D7010
slot: DIMM_B
width: 64 bits
clock: 533MHz (1.87617ns)
*-bank:1
description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
product: 64T64020HDL3.7A
vendor: C100000000000000
serial: 021D4821
slot: DIMM_A
clock: 533MHz (1.87617ns)
*-cpu:1
product: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
bus info: cpu@1
version: 6.14.8
serial: 0000-06E8-0000-0000-0000-0000
size: 1GHz
capacity: 1GHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr cpufreq
configuration: id=0
*-logicalcpu:0
physical id: 0.1
*-logicalcpu:1
physical id: 0.2
*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: Mobile Memory Controller Hub
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@00:00.0
version: 03
*-pci:0
product: Mobile PCI Express Graphics Port
bus info: pci@00:01.0
version: 03
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: ATI Technologies Inc
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
bus info: pci@01:00.0
size: 256MB
capabilities: vga bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=fglrx_pci
resources: iomemory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:ee00-eeff iomemory:efdf0000-efdfffff irq:169
*-multimedia
description: Multimedia controller
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@00:1b.0
version: 01
capabilities: bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel
resources: iomemory:efffc000-efffffff irq:233
*-pci:1
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@00:1c.0
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Intel Corporation
bus info: pci@0b:00.0
logical name: eth1
version: 02
serial: 00:13:02:5b:4b:4b
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ipw3945 driverversion=1.0.5m firmware=13.0 1:0 () ip=131.204.217.60 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
resources: iomemory:efcff000-efcfffff irq:169
*-pci:2
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4
physical id: 1c.3
bus info: pci@00:1c.3
*-pci:3
product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@00:1e.0
version: e1
capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
*-network
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:15:c5:11:73:ba
size: 10MB/s
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegociation
configuration: autonegociation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=0.97 duplex=half link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10MB/s
resources: iomemory:ef9fe000-ef9fffff irq:217
*-firewire
description: FireWire (IEEE 1394)
product: Ricoh Co Ltd
vendor: Ricoh Co Ltd
bus info: pci@03:01.0
capabilities: ohci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ohci1394
resources: iomemory:ef9fd800-ef9fdfff irq:177
*-system:0
description: Generic system peripheral
product: R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter
physical id: 1.1
bus info: pci@03:01.1
version: 19
configuration: driver=sdhci
resources: iomemory:ef9fd400-ef9fd4ff irq:66
*-system:1 UNCLAIMED
description: System peripheral
product: Ricoh Co Ltd
physical id: 1.2
bus info: pci@03:01.2
resources: iomemory:ef9fd500-ef9fd5ff irq:9
*-system:2 UNCLAIMED
product: R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
physical id: 1.3
bus info: pci@03:01.3
version: 0a
resources: iomemory:ef9fd600-ef9fd6ff irq:9
*-system:3 UNCLAIMED
product: xD-Picture Card Controller
physical id: 1.4
bus info: pci@03:01.4
version: 05
resources: iomemory:ef9fd700-ef9fd7ff irq:9
*-isa UNCLAIMED
description: ISA bridge
product: 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@00:1f.0
capabilities: isa bus_master cap_list
*-ide
description: IDE interface
product: 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE
physical id: 1f.2
bus info: pci@00:1f.2
logical name: scsi0
logical name: scsi1
capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list emulated scsi-host
configuration: driver=ata_piix
resources: ioport:bfa0-bfaf irq:217
*-disk
description: SCSI Disk
product: Hitachi HTS54108
vendor: ATA
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: MB4O
serial: MPBDP0XKG7TKLM
size: 73GB
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5
*-volume:0
description: FAT16 partition
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
capacity: 47MB
*-volume:1
description: HPFS/NTFS partition
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
capacity: 58GB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:2
description: Extended partition
physical id: 3
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,3
logical name: /dev/sda3
capacity: 14GB
capabilities: extended partitioned partitioned:extended
*-cdrom
description: DVD writer
product: DVD+-RW ND-6650A
vendor: _NEC
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 102C
serial: [_NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A102C05051200
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
configuration: ansiversion=5
*-disc
logical name: /dev/cdrom
*-serial UNCLAIMED
description: SMBus
product: 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
physical id: 1f.3
bus info: pci@00:1f.3
resources: ioport:10c0-10df irq:5

Valstorm2323
April 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Dammit thanks for the winefile command.
I couldn't figure out where the damned wine was, seems it's autohidden after being installed... why would anyone do that DOH!

Fitzy_oz
April 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and have been into gaming for awhile so when i saw you can put CS on here i jumped at it and have been working on getting it to work for awhile. Normally i like to avoid posting if at all possible about my problems because they end up being stupid in some say or form but this one has got me stumped. After months of trying to get CS to even start i now have the problem of horrible lag. I am pulling off 1.54 FPS and i can't seem to increase that at all. I have looked up and down this thread to see if there was anything i can do and i have tried all that i can to get it to work but it has got me stumped. I am running it on an Inspiron E1505 with an ATI graphics card. Any advice on the problem i'm having would be most appreciated. Here are my specs i tried eliminating spots i didn't think were important such as usb and what-not:

Theres nothing stupid about asking for help, no matter how trivial it may be. it's a new os for you and no one should be or to my knowledge ever has been flasmed or made to feel like an idiot on these forums for asking any sort of questions basic or not...

ATI is something of a dirty word last time I tried using it with CS:S. my only advice would be to make sure that you have the proprietary drivers installed. The easiest way to do this is to follow this HowTo (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Edgy_Installation_Guide). Method 2 yielded the best results for my ATi card.

After which typing glxinfo in terminal should output something like this

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: "Radeon type...."
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6400 (8.35.5)

Somewhere further down it will also have line that says "direct rendering:" and it will either be yes or no. If it's yes you're in luck, if not check the logs for errors (I had to have a couple of goes at getting the kernel module to load).

If all has gone well you should see a marked improvement in performance.

Good luck, and shout out if you need some more help, that's why we're here ;)

Kittens
April 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I have tahoma.ttf font in the folder, but the words still don't show up.

buttons
April 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM

Downgrade to wine 0.9.34. 0.9.35 has an Xrender bug that prevents them from being displayed. You can also recompile 0.9.35 with the fix per this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=409286).

w116tjb
April 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM

Download Tahoma.tff by going to Google and searching "filetype:ttf inurl:tahoma". Download the file to your desktop.

Open Terminal and type:

cd /home/USERNAME/Desktop
sudo cp Tahoma.ttf /usr/share/wine/fonts

After that, you can just delete the file from your desktop. Restart Steam and you should have text.

CptCrncher87
May 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
I have hit a wall. From what i can tell I have eliminated lag, this is from my assumption that i reloaded Ubuntu using a distribution called Ubuntu Ultimate 1.2 which came preloaded with wine for those who don't know about it. The load screen loads fine but then it goes down from there. I get a blank screen every time. It started with black, then went to white when i messed with the graphics option of the winecfg and is now grey since i messed with the load options in steam. Does anyone know what is going on and how i can stop it or am i stuck pushing buttons in the dark? I appreciate the help.

Fitzy_oz
May 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
I have hit a wall. From what i can tell I have eliminated lag, this is from my assumption that i reloaded Ubuntu using a distribution called Ubuntu Ultimate 1.2 which came preloaded with wine for those who don't know about it. The load screen loads fine but then it goes down from there. I get a blank screen every time. It started with black, then went to white when i messed with the graphics option of the winecfg and is now grey since i messed with the load options in steam. Does anyone know what is going on and how i can stop it or am i stuck pushing buttons in the dark? I appreciate the help.

Depends on the version of wine thats shipped with it but at a guess i'd say it's the pixel shader bug - Simply turning off the pixel shader option in winecfg resolved this for me. Also there are a couple of posts a page or so back that address this problem. Im not sure exactly what the command is bt you need to set the command switches so it opens a map at startup, I think the option is +map de_dust or +de_dust or something to that effect.

CptCrncher87
May 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Ok i've got steam css working almost exactly the way i want it except terrible fps. I have tried messing with audio and graphics but neither seem to help and i have tried lowering gl to as low as 60 and as high as 80 but that doesn't seem to help either. Any tips for this problem? (not sure how to check my wine version so if you ask about that i will have no clue unless you tell me how but it did come with the ubuntu) and i really appreciate your help Fitzy

foundation
May 5th, 2007, 04:10 AM
On steampowered.com the download is now an MSI instead of EXE so I tried installing it anyway with the wine SteamInstall.msi command and it didn't work:

~/Desktop$ wine SteamInstall.msi
wine: could not load L"Z:\\home\\seldon\\Desktop\\SteamInstall.msi": Bad EXE format for

buttons
May 5th, 2007, 04:51 AM
On steampowered.com the download is now an MSI instead of EXE so I tried installing it anyway with the wine SteamInstall.msi command and it didn't work:

~/Desktop$ wine SteamInstall.msi
wine: could not load L"Z:\\home\\seldon\\Desktop\\SteamInstall.msi": Bad EXE format for

http://www.google.com/search?q=steaminstall.exe

Currently wine does not support MSI. Your best bet is to simply grab an old steaminstall.exe elsewhere on the web. Steam will update itself during installation.

If you have a transgaming subscription, it is also available in their downloads area.

foundation
May 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Good idea, can't believe I didn't think of that. D: Thanks.

New error, I'm so lucky. :o

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/294/tmpgl7.png

Ideas ?

Jarn
May 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Currently wine does not support MSI.Actually, it does. I don't remember the exact command, I'm just going from memory, but it's something like:
wine msiexec /i /path/to/msi/fileThat's more likely than not wrong, though. Ask in #winehq for the syntax to install msi files, they'll be able to tell you.

Fitzy_oz
May 6th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Ok i've got steam css working almost exactly the way i want it except terrible fps. I have tried messing with audio and graphics but neither seem to help and i have tried lowering gl to as low as 60 and as high as 80 but that doesn't seem to help either. Any tips for this problem? (not sure how to check my wine version so if you ask about that i will have no clue unless you tell me how but it did come with the ubuntu) and i really appreciate your help Fitzy

Are you using the proprietary driver?, if possible type glxinfo in a terminal and post it here...

LuckN1ne
May 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
wine does support msi... but my problem is i need the command to start steam up

lordhebe
May 7th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Here is the correct command
msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi

wine does support msi... but my problem is i need the command to start steam up

Do a
wine "C:/Path/To/Steam/steam.exe"

CptCrncher87
May 8th, 2007, 08:47 AM
hmmmm well i tried just running it to see if it would do the same thing and the first trial it was full screen and laggy, then it was small and laggy, then it was small and full speed, and now it is running full screen at full speed so i'm not sure what happened with it but it seems to have fixed itself thanks for the help with the problems

nvrpaul
May 17th, 2007, 07:52 AM
how do you install from the CDs cs:source. I get a mount issue, i cannot eject cd1 because it is in use by wine obviously. I tried running the installer from within the D: directory of .wine and dosdevices. Same problem. I tried copying the content of all of the discs into one folder on the HDD, but in this case it just doesn't let me run it from there, it wants to have the first cd in (which it does). Is there any other way other than downloading?

Jonathan2007
May 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
how do you install from the CDs cs:source. I get a mount issue, i cannot eject cd1 because it is in use by wine obviously. I tried running the installer from within the D: directory of .wine and dosdevices. Same problem. I tried copying the content of all of the discs into one folder on the HDD, but in this case it just doesn't let me run it from there, it wants to have the first cd in (which it does). Is there any other way other than downloading?
I am having the exact same problem. I get to the prompt for CD 2 and I can unmount the cdrom and mount CD 2 but the installer won't recognize it. I even tried copying CD 1 to a folder and installing. I got prompt for CD 2 and so I erased the CD 1 contents and ripped CD 2 contents to the same folder and the installer still won't recognize it.

I'd rather not download all this if I can avoid it seeing as how I have the install CD's right here in front of me.

Orion2014
May 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Would this also work with counter strike condition zero? Its basically the same as counterstrike 1. I enjoy that game more and would rather play it honestly.

Fitzy_oz
May 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Would this also work with counter strike condition zero? Its basically the same as counterstrike 1. I enjoy that game more and would rather play it honestly.

It should work just fine, I played half-life 1 source aunder wine for ages and it was fine. There is absolutely no reason why CS:CZ should be any different.

ea_hatch
June 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
ok ive got steam installed but every time i try to log in i get this error
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/4285/screenshotdesktopgt8.jpg

im runnning a linksys wireless card, but it works fine in windows so im not sure if it is that..it will tell me if i put in the wrong password but when i login with the right info it just sits there for about a minute and then give me the error..any ideas?

slowdeath
June 4th, 2007, 01:43 AM
did you upgrade wine to 0.9.38, thats what i did, then steam started giving me the same errors. so i went back to 0.9.37 and steam started working normally.

ea_hatch
June 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM
well i just started to install this today so my verion of wine is 0.9.38. How would i revert back to the 9.37???

ea_hatch
June 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
ok well i figured that out and have css running but i can only run it in dxlevel 70 and it is still way slower than it was in windows xp.. if i try to turn it up to dx 8 or 9 i get this error
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1091/screenshotengineerrorqy5.png

btw my specs are
am2 4600+
xfx 7900gs
2 gig ddr2 800

in windows with settings on high i could maintain about a 50-60 average fps
now im getting 20-35 average on dx 7

ea_hatch
June 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM
also everytime i get flashed banged my game freezes for about 10 seconds???? any suggestions?

frodon
June 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
also everytime i get flashed banged my game freezes for about 10 seconds???? any suggestions?I bet you use an old version of wine, what version of wine are you using ?
If not go back to the 0.34 version which is really stable, all debs are available here :
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

ea_hatch
June 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
im using 0.9.37 right now
i will try to revert back to 0.9.34 and see if that helps..btw do u know of any way to get it to not alert me about the updates for wine after i do go back?

frodon
June 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
im using 0.9.37 right now
i will try to revert back to 0.9.34 and see if that helps..btw do u know of any way to get it to not alert me about the updates for wine after i do go back?Just comment the wine repository in your source.list file, you can do this also using synaptic in the repository properties (third party repository tab).

ea_hatch
June 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
cool thanx man... i reverted back to 0.9.34 but im still haveing the same problems.. i noticed though if u run it at 1024x768 or lower i dont have the freezes when being flashed..but i play on a 37" westy so that isnt gonna work out for me :(

ea_hatch
June 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM
bump for any ideas on the flash bang freeze problem

rayofash
June 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I tried installing from a SteamInstaller.exe and it gave me errors. So then I tried the msiexec command with the .msi installer and it installed seemingly fine. But now when it runs it gives me an error saying "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of Steam at a time." during the updater. What do I do?

Enverex
June 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Run "wineserver -k" and try again.

rayofash
June 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Run "wineserver -k" and try again.

It went up to 26% and gave me the same error.

mark.
June 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM
i cant get wine for some reason. if iput the command into the terminal i get this error

mark@l--desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

o.o help please? this also happens when i try and get virtualbox (because i cannot run synaptic)

thisisaric
June 27th, 2007, 03:32 AM
It went up to 26% and gave me the same error.

Had same problem... after googling my *** off found

26% Bug Workaround:

Run this from the directory you installed Steam to:

wine steamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "Steam.exe" 14

If that doesn't help try this before the previous command:

rm ClientRegistry.blob
here http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1554

Enverex
June 27th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Again, the AppDB should always be the FIRST place you check, not the last.

CompactDestruction
June 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hi can someone help please? I've got the 26% bug on the latest version of Wine on Feisty AMD64. The workaround does not work, the update simply begins again at 0% :( Can someone please help?

CompactDestruction
June 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Here's a screen capture encoded as Theora. (http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/189545/SteamBug-ogg.html)

joos13
July 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM

Doing that workaround results in the error:

Steam.exe (main exception): Failed to get file attributes, Win32 Error 2 "File not found"

the appHQ has no solution. i also tried the wineserver -k thing.

anyone have any ideas??

Henningselst
July 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Duh... Iv made a big mistake my cs 1.6 was up and running but a bit laggy... So i tried to change the graphics away from open gl and now when ever i try to start the game it is so big that i can acsess the options to change the graphics settings.. Does anyone know how i can turn it back to Open gl without entering the game?

CompactDestruction
July 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
FYI after I restarted my computer suddenly everything started working.

Haz13r
July 4th, 2007, 04:06 AM
how do i check or how am i able to see these hidden files?

joos13
July 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
how do i check or how am i able to see these hidden files?

Crtl+H, or under View menu

eazye2008
July 5th, 2007, 06:39 AM
i cant see anything on steam

w00d77
July 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I followed the instructions on http://fedorasolved.org/gaming-solutions/installing-steam-using-wine/ and I was able to get Steam working just fine on Feisty. I'm using the newest version of wine.

rayofash
July 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Workaround didn't work, same error as posted above.

Edit: I followed that video posted earlier and it worked. Which is funny because it didn't work for the person in the video. I have to run it with sudo though.

Ziggyz
July 9th, 2007, 04:55 AM
ziggy@ziggy-desktop:~$ cp tahoma.ttf /home/ziggy/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
cp: cannot stat `tahoma.ttf': No such file or directory

?? doesent work for me, I even put in the ~ before the .wine. Also when ever i download the steam installer its steaminstaller.msi not exe...

Mike7171
July 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
I installed CSS through the Half-Life 2 game of the year pack, and everything went fine. The game is installed and seems fine. But when I run CSS (and any of the other games such as HL2 actually), it gets to the loading screen for the game, and right when the menu should show, the Steam window comes up over top of it. I tried the "close the window before it loads" but then an empty box pops up over it instead (the Wine backround). So it's crashing and I'm not sure why. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

quadomatic
August 14th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I found a fix for the problems with the 26% Update:

Uninstall Steam, delete the directory, then follow this guide:

http://fedorasolved.org/gaming-solutions/installing-steam-using-wine/

I'm guessing the .msi installer most people use just doesn't work right.

Now, does anyone know how to install Episode One from the DVD?

Fittersman
August 20th, 2007, 03:26 AM
ziggy@ziggy-desktop:~$ cp tahoma.ttf /home/ziggy/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
cp: cannot stat `tahoma.ttf': No such file or directory

?? doesent work for me, I even put in the ~ before the .wine. Also when ever i download the steam installer its steaminstaller.msi not exe...

im having the same problem...

Polygon
August 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
to run the msi installer use

wine start steaminstall.msi

but i had the 26% bug when i tried with the msi, so use an older version of the steam installer (link below) and when it installs it will update itself and it will be all good

http://www.filecloud.com/file/161/Steam+Installer/

note: dont use steam community beta, it makes steam very unstable atm.

Brynster
August 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM
note: dont use steam community beta, it makes steam very unstable atm.

Works fine for me although a little sluggish feeling in comparioson of original basic steam

anemptygun
September 13th, 2007, 07:30 AM
I get the error message:

"Steam is already running. you may only run one copy of steam at one time"

This is at 26% of the update. I am using the latest wine.

Any ideas?

nvrpaul
September 30th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Hey guys
My CS:S was running fine until out of nowhere sound is broken with this output:
err:secur32:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.mix
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.asi
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.flt
err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Could not map sound device for direct access (Input/output error)
err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Please run winecfg, open "Audio" page and set
"Hardware Acceleration" to "Emulation".
warning: Unknown nb_ctl request: 4
warning: Unknown nb_ctl request: 30

If i set it to emulation sound is choppy and performance is bad. PLease help. Thank you!

asbani
October 1st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Hey guys. it all runs fine only one question tho, how to run CSS without full screen mode? I don't like full screen ;) thanks.

Wrote nvrpaul
Did you try updating to wine 0.9.46?

nvrpaul
October 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Did you try updating to wine 0.9.46?
I will try this and let you know the result! thanks man

nvrpaul
October 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
I will try this and let you know the result! thanks man

nop, updating didn't work, got rid of the error message, but i still have n osound. I reinstalled alsa, got the latest kernel etc.
Any ideas?

Fittersman
October 4th, 2007, 05:05 AM
nop, updating didn't work, got rid of the error message, but i still have n osound. I reinstalled alsa, got the latest kernel etc.
Any ideas?

hey, i had a problem with no sound as well, i made a thread on it here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=174594
see if doing any of that fixes your problem.

dougmorin
October 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Does anyone have a problem loading wine? I have installed and configured wine but nothing will open with it. Seems to start loading in the task bar but eventually the window just goes away...

any suggestions?

Original post is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=567086

nvrpaul
October 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM
i tried fixing the permissions, but it didn't help. I reinstalled ALSA, the lastest kernel, wine, and cs:source from scratch. no go. any other ideas?

Fittersman
October 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
i tried fixing the permissions, but it didn't help. I reinstalled ALSA, the lastest kernel, wine, and cs:source from scratch. no go. any other ideas?

did you follow this guied? (i know its for wolfenstein, but it worked for me to get sound in css)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83028&page=3

nvrpaul
October 6th, 2007, 07:27 AM
did you follow this guied? (i know its for wolfenstein, but it worked for me to get sound in css)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83028&page=3

tried that. didn't work i get this error message now:

WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe -opengl
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1105:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.pcm.dmix_format'
ALSA lib conf.c:3500:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3957:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dmix:0
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1105:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.pcm.dmix_format'
ALSA lib conf.c:3500:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3957:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dsnoop:0
err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.mix
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.asi
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\ *.flt

any help is very greatly appreciated!

nvrpaul
October 10th, 2007, 09:19 PM
fixed it by emptying the asound file in etc. If there isn't one make a blank one and restart. it now works

ebichu
October 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Hi, I'm trying to get CS: S to run, but with no results.

here is what terminal shouts out:

ebichu@seaking:~/.wine/drive_c/CSS$ WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine hl2.exe -game cstrike -console -gl
convertConfigAttrib: no WSI_CONFIG_ATTRIB_AUX_BUFFERS
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} could be created for context 0x1

and if i use ALSA:

ebichu@seaking:~/.wine/drive_c/CSS$ WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine hl2.exe -game cstrike -console -gl
ALSA lib conf.c:3949:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default:0

other source games don't work too. :(

computer specs are:
core 2 duo 2ghz
2GB ram
and ati radeon 2400 pro with working drivers

ebichu
October 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
bump

anemptygun
October 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
thanks for the info

ohhhchiahao
October 19th, 2007, 03:39 AM
hello guys, im new to ubuntu and im lurking thro the forums to see how i can run wine with CS. i've installed wine but when i try to run wine setup in the terminal i get

wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\setup.exe": Module not found

can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

bfbf
October 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Try wine doors...

Well im a noob and got quite far using that anyway :p

I have 1 problem (so far) , which hopefully someone may be able to help with. Steam works, there is font and everything lol. Then the steam friends works but if I start I chat I can see the text I am about to enter but after pressing enter it disapears and if it did get though I can not see replies ethier.

I have googled my problem but no one seems to have got as far as getting the friends to come up (well they were quite old posts)

CS:S is just updating now will see how well(or badly) it plays on my PC :p

Thanks for anyhelp :)

edit - I am on Gusty BTW if that makes any diffence.

Corpus_CT
October 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm having the same problem as bfbf: everything works fine apart from sending chat messages in Steam Friends.

There's a bug report for this at WineHQ (click here) (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9771), but it is, as yet, unresolved.

Can anyone help?

I'm on an Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro running Ubuntu Gutsy. I have the same problem on my ex-main PC which also runs Gutsy, although the problem was also present in Feisty.

snkmad
October 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Steam installed fine, but i cant run Source games. Ive tried hl2 and hl2dm.
They go as far as loading the map, then they hang.
Heres the errors that appeared on the terminal:
http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/42170/

Im running ubuntu 7.10 amd64, and wine-0.9.47

snkmad
October 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Wine 0.9.48 is out.
Its supposed to fix all those Source-engine games errors.
We just have to wait for an updated binary on Wine repository.

ctuchik
October 31st, 2007, 02:38 AM
Here's my specs:

Ubuntu 7.10
Wine - 0.9.48
Nvidia 7800GT

Steam runs, the game runs (Team Fortress 2), but whenever I join a game it locks up after i choose a team. Like I've sat in the "lobby" for a while and i can even watch the film for the level. But as soon as I choose a team the sound starts skipping and the game locks up. Help please?

snkmad
October 31st, 2007, 02:19 PM
Well, you should try to disable the steam community in-game.

Bionic Apple
November 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
You guys are going to probably laugh, but here it goes. Whenever I try to enter my Steam Folder through cd /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam (with USER substituted of course) it gives me this error: bash: cd: /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program: No such file or directory. Is there a certain symbol that represents a space? The terminal reads "Program Files" as "Program Files" when I use the "ls" command in drive_c. Sorry for asking such a simple question.

crayment
November 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
You guys are going to probably laugh, but here it goes. Whenever I try to enter my Steam Folder through cd /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam (with USER substituted of course) it gives me this error: bash: cd: /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program: No such file or directory. Is there a certain symbol that represents a space? The terminal reads "Program Files" as "Program Files" when I use the "ls" command in drive_c. Sorry for asking such a simple question.

Program\ Files

from your home directory:

cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/

HInt: Use the tab button to complete directory or file names for you. Type the first few characters then hit tab to complete.

crayment
November 2nd, 2007, 03:09 AM
I'm stuck and would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure this out.

my specs:

ubuntu - 7.10
wine-0.9.46

I had no problem installing Steam with some help from other forums. And it seems to run fine until i try to launch half life 2. I first get a warning about my video driver being out of date which i also got when i installed on my windows machine. But i find it strange that i haven't seen anything about this from anyone else installing on linux.

Anyway when i launch it, it kind of shows a zoomed image of my desktop like it changed the resolution which i expect but then it just crashes as if it restarted x.
Like i hit ctrl-alt-bkspc. then i log in again...

I normally run compiz but have tried disabling it and have also tried closing the steam window while the game is loading.

I don't know what else it could be...

Bionic Apple
November 2nd, 2007, 03:49 AM
Program\ Files

from your home directory:

cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/

HInt: Use the tab button to complete directory or file names for you. Type the first few characters then hit tab to complete.

Now, how would I put that into a launcher for my desktop, so I don't have to enter that each time? Or to be more specific, how would I tell the terminal that there is two different commands within one line?

snkmad
November 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
I'm stuck and would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure this out.

my specs:

ubuntu - 7.10
wine-0.9.46

I had no problem installing Steam with some help from other forums. And it seems to run fine until i try to launch half life 2. I first get a warning about my video driver being out of date which i also got when i installed on my windows machine. But i find it strange that i haven't seen anything about this from anyone else installing on linux.

Anyway when i launch it, it kind of shows a zoomed image of my desktop like it changed the resolution which i expect but then it just crashes as if it restarted x.
Like i hit ctrl-alt-bkspc. then i log in again...

I normally run compiz but have tried disabling it and have also tried closing the steam window while the game is loading.

I don't know what else it could be...

First thing you should do is update wine to latest version, 0.9.48.

crayment
November 2nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
First thing you should do is update wine to latest version, 0.9.48.

Ya i did, I thought my add/remove would install the latest version but i guess not. Anyways it didn't change a thing.

Still stumped.

crayment
November 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
Now, how would I put that into a launcher for my desktop, so I don't have to enter that each time? Or to be more specific, how would I tell the terminal that there is two different commands within one line?

I am not sure what you are running but in ubuntu you can easily create a launcher on your desktop or panel by going Application->Wine->ProgramFiles->Steam and then either click and drag where you want, or right click and choose an option.

Maybe something similar for your distro?

The command for the launcher when i do this is:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/USER/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe"

Skalman5
November 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
/me running U7.10 and latest wine 0.9.48 on my Lg LW75express laptop
Have tried and tried to get CS:S to work under steam for day's without success.

Starting steam with the windebug all command and get the following message in the terminal

dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.mix
dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.asi
dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.flt
This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.

Then steam launches as usual. But when i click launch (or tries to join a game). The gamewindow first go to fullscreen then it pops back to the desktop (that suddenly has resized to 1680x1050 instead of 1280x1024 that it was before i clicked lauch) with the gamewindow still visible in the upper left quarter of the screen for a couple of seconds before it dissappears.

Wineconfsettings:
Sound
OSS-Emulation-48000-16-Driver Emulation

Graphics
Tried em all and the problem persists

Would be REALLY glad if someone helped me out on this one :)

snkmad
November 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
/me running U7.10 and latest wine 0.9.48 on my Lg LW75express laptop
Have tried and tried to get CS:S to work under steam for day's without success.

Starting steam with the windebug all command and get the following message in the terminal

dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.mix
dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.asi
dir: C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\bin\ *.flt

Then steam launches as usual. But when i click launch (or tries to join a game). The gamewindow first go to fullscreen then it pops back to the desktop (that suddenly has resized to 1680x1050 instead of 1280x1024 that it was before i clicked lauch) with the gamewindow still visible in the upper left quarter of the screen for a couple of seconds before it dissappears.

Wineconfsettings:
Sound
OSS-Emulation-48000-16-Driver Emulation

Graphics
Tried em all and the problem persists

Would be REALLY glad if someone helped me out on this one :)

Well here are my settings, in case it might help you:
Audio - Also and OSS enabled, HW accel-basic, 44100, 16, driver emulation-disabled.

BongoBob
November 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hello everyone.

Well, I have CS:S working...kind of. I have sound working, it loads up and I get a playable framerate at 1280x800 with everything at low settings. However, I can't play cs_office. Whenever I enter the Terrorist zone with the hostages, the game freezes, and I get this in konsole:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000024 at address 0xe00b423 (thread 0024), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000024 in 32-bit code (0x0e00b423).
Register dump:
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:0e00b423 ESP:0034e5e8 EBP:00000002 EFLAGS:00010216( - 00 -RIAP1)
EAX:000008c0 EBX:00000000 ECX:1fca6fa8 EDX:07edf0c0
ESI:0e01ea18 EDI:00000090
Stack dump:
0x0034e5e8: 0e01ea18 1fcaa4a4 0e00b452 1fca008c
0x0034e5f8: 0e01ea18 1fcaa4a4 0e01ea18 1fca0090
0x0034e608: 0e00b7d5 1fca0090 0e01ea18 1fca0090
0x0034e618: 0e01ea3c 000008c0 0e01ea18 0e0098da
0x0034e628: 1fca0001 ffffffff 00000000 00000009
0x0034e638: 0034ff08 0034e67c 003d753b 00000003
Backtrace:
=>1 0x0e00b423 in datacache (+0xb423) (0x00000002)
2 0x00000000 (0x00000000)
0x0e00b423: movl 0x24(%ebx),%eax
Modules:
Module Address Debug info Name (219 modules)
PE 3d0000- 400000 Deferred launcher
PE 400000- 41c000 Deferred hl2
PE 1160000- 1196000 Deferred tier0
PE 11a0000- 11be000 Deferred vstdlib
PE dad0000- db24000 Deferred filesystem_steam
PE db30000- db44000 Deferred inputsystem
PE ddb0000- deae000 Deferred datamodel
PE dfc0000- dffd000 Deferred dmserializers
PE e000000- e025000 Export datacache
PE e140000- e1f4000 Deferred materialsystem
PE e200000- e216000 Deferred valve_avi
PE e220000- e2f0000 Deferred vguimatsurface
PE e2f0000- e365000 Deferred vgui2
PE e370000- e384000 Deferred steam_api
PE e5b0000- e5d9000 Deferred stdshader_dbg
PE e5e0000- e615000 Deferred stdshader_dx6
PE e620000- e648000 Deferred stdshader_dx7
PE e650000- e693000 Deferred stdshader_dx8
PE e6a0000- e6af000 Deferred unicode
PE edb0000- ede6000 Deferred soundemittersystem
PE edf0000- ee0b000 Deferred scenefilecache
PE ee10000- efcd000 Deferred steamclient
PE efd0000- f00f000 Deferred tier0_s
PE f010000- f084000 Deferred vstdlib_s
PE f1e0000- f47d000 Deferred p2pcore
PE f480000- f5d8000 Deferred p2pvoice
PE f6f0000- f8d3000 Deferred gameui
PE 10000000-10031000 Deferred gameoverlayrenderer
PE 1d350000-1d360000 Deferred vaudio_miles
PE 1d360000-1d3c4000 Deferred mss32
PE 1def0000-1dfbb000 Deferred serverbrowser
PE 1e0d0000-1e0f7000 Deferred vaudio_speex
PE 1ffe0000-1ffe6000 Deferred xpcom
PE 1fff0000-1fff7000 Deferred plc4
PE 20000000-205ee000 Deferred engine
PE 20920000-20989000 Deferred xpcom_core
PE 20990000-209b7000 Deferred nspr4
PE 209c0000-209c6000 Deferred plds4
PE 209d0000-209df000 Deferred jsd3250
PE 209e0000-209f4000 Deferred xpcom_compat
PE 20a00000-20a06000 Deferred mozctlx
PE 21050000-210c1000 Deferred js3250
PE 210d0000-210d6000 Deferred xpistub
PE 210e0000-210f1000 Deferred mozz
PE 21100000-211ad000 Deferred mss32_s
PE 21f80000-21fb5000 Deferred xpc3250
PE 21fc0000-21fff000 Deferred softokn3
PE 22000000-22642000 Deferred server
PE 22fb0000-2300b000 Deferred nss3
PE 23010000-2302a000 Deferred smime3
PE 23030000-23043000 Deferred jsj3250
PE 23050000-23066000 Deferred gkgfx
PE 23070000-230ae000 Deferred nssckbi
PE 230b0000-230d0000 Deferred ssl3
PE 230d0000-23101000 Deferred freebl3
PE 23110000-2318d000 Deferred necko
PE 23190000-2319c000 Deferred xppref32
PE 231a0000-231ce000 Deferred i18n
PE 231d0000-231ef000 Deferred embedcomponents
PE 231f0000-231ff000 Deferred caps
PE 23200000-2320c000 Deferred typeaheadfind
PE 23210000-234a9000 Deferred gklayout
PE 234b0000-234d7000 Deferred imglib2
PE 234e0000-234fb000 Deferred rdf
PE 23500000-23538000 Deferred appcomps
PE 23540000-23550000 Deferred appshell
PE 23550000-2355f000 Deferred profile
PE 23560000-23567000 Deferred xpcom_compat_c
PE 23570000-2357e000 Deferred webbrwsr
PE 23580000-235a5000 Deferred gkwidget
PE 235b0000-235d4000 Deferred gkgfxwin
PE 235e0000-2360c000 Deferred docshell
PE 23610000-23618000 Deferred pipboot
PE 23620000-2362c000 Deferred oji
PE 23630000-236ee000 Deferred uconv
PE 236f0000-23700000 Deferred chrome
PE 23700000-23739000 Deferred gkparser
PE 23740000-2374d000 Deferred jar50
PE 23860000-23867000 Deferred txmgr
PE 24000000-24476000 Deferred client
PE 26000000-26138000 Deferred vphysics
PE 26400000-26439000 Deferred mssvoice.asi
PE 26f00000-26f2e000 Deferred mssmp3.asi
PE 2a000000-2a0a8000 Deferred shaderapidx9
PE 2c000000-2c3e3000 Deferred studiorender
PE 30000000-30320000 Deferred steam
PE 60000000-60021000 Deferred cserhelper
PE 628c0000-628d9000 Deferred parsifal
ELF 7724e000-77298000 Deferred dbghelp<elf>
\-PE 77260000-77298000 \ dbghelp
ELF 7809e000-780ef000 Deferred libgcrypt.so.11
ELF 780ef000-7811d000 Deferred libcrypt.so.1
ELF 7811d000-7818d000 Deferred libgnutls.so.13
ELF 7818d000-78215000 Deferred libkrb5.so.3
ELF 78215000-782b6000 Deferred comdlg32<elf>
\-PE 78220000-782b6000 \ comdlg32
ELF 784d8000-78540000 Deferred msvcrt<elf>
\-PE 784f0000-78540000 \ msvcrt
ELF 79e14000-79e1f000 Deferred libgcc_s.so.1
ELF 7b041000-7b066000 Deferred libk5crypto.so.3
ELF 7b197000-7b1e0000 Deferred dsound<elf>
\-PE 7b1a0000-7b1e0000 \ dsound
ELF 7b1e9000-7b1f9000 Deferred libtasn1.so.3
ELF 7b5e1000-7b61b000 Deferred shdocvw<elf>
\-PE 7b5f0000-7b61b000 \ shdocvw
ELF 7b71c000-7b745000 Deferred libgssapi_krb5.so.2
ELF 7b745000-7b77a000 Deferred libcups.so.2
ELF 7b77a000-7b800000 Deferred mshtml<elf>
\-PE 7b790000-7b800000 \ mshtml
ELF 7b800000-7b929000 Deferred kernel32<elf>
\-PE 7b820000-7b929000 \ kernel32
ELF 7b92d000-7b935000 Deferred libkrb5support.so.0
ELF 7b94d000-7b989000 Deferred urlmon<elf>
\-PE 7b960000-7b989000 \ urlmon
ELF 7ba8b000-7ba8f000 Deferred libgpg-error.so.0
ELF 7ba8f000-7bac4000 Deferred winspool<elf>
\-PE 7baa0000-7bac4000 \ winspool
ELF 7bc00000-7bca1000 Deferred ntdll<elf>
\-PE 7bc10000-7bca1000 \ ntdll
ELF 7bca4000-7bca6000 Deferred libkeyutils.so.1
ELF 7bca6000-7bca9000 Deferred libcom_err.so.2
ELF 7bf00000-7bf03000 Deferred <wine-loader>
ELF 7bf21000-7bf27000 Deferred libnss_dns.so.2
ELF 7c327000-7c32a000 Deferred libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2
ELF 7cb24000-7cb38000 Deferred winejoystick<elf>
\-PE 7cb30000-7cb38000 \ winejoystick
ELF 7cd5a000-7ce3b000 Deferred wined3d<elf>
\-PE 7cd70000-7ce3b000 \ wined3d
ELF 7ce3b000-7ce6a000 Deferred d3d9<elf>
\-PE 7ce40000-7ce6a000 \ d3d9
ELF 7ce6a000-7ce8b000 Deferred mpr<elf>
\-PE 7ce70000-7ce8b000 \ mpr
ELF 7ce8b000-7ced7000 Deferred wininet<elf>
\-PE 7cea0000-7ced7000 \ wininet
ELF 7ced7000-7cf76000 Deferred oleaut32<elf>
\-PE 7cef0000-7cf76000 \ oleaut32
ELF 7cf76000-7cf9d000 Deferred msvfw32<elf>
\-PE 7cf80000-7cf9d000 \ msvfw32
ELF 7cf9d000-7cfd7000 Deferred avifil32<elf>
\-PE 7cfa0000-7cfd7000 \ avifil32
ELF 7cfd7000-7cfec000 Deferred midimap<elf>
\-PE 7cfe0000-7cfec000 \ midimap
ELF 7cfec000-7d013000 Deferred msacm32<elf>
\-PE 7cff0000-7d013000 \ msacm32
ELF 7d013000-7d0d9000 Deferred libasound.so.2
ELF 7d0d9000-7d0f1000 Deferred msacm32<elf>
\-PE 7d0e0000-7d0f1000 \ msacm32
ELF 7d0f1000-7d127000 Deferred winealsa<elf>
\-PE 7d100000-7d127000 \ winealsa
ELF 7d127000-7d1b5000 Deferred winmm<elf>
\-PE 7d130000-7d1b5000 \ winmm
ELF 7d343000-7d375000 Deferred uxtheme<elf>
\-PE 7d350000-7d375000 \ uxtheme
ELF 7d375000-7d389000 Deferred mswsock<elf>
\-PE 7d380000-7d389000 \ mswsock
ELF 7d389000-7d39d000 Deferred lz32<elf>
\-PE 7d390000-7d39d000 \ lz32
ELF 7d39d000-7d3b7000 Deferred version<elf>
\-PE 7d3a0000-7d3b7000 \ version
ELF 7d3b7000-7d476000 Deferred comctl32<elf>
\-PE 7d3c0000-7d476000 \ comctl32
ELF 7d476000-7d4ce000 Deferred shlwapi<elf>
\-PE 7d480000-7d4ce000 \ shlwapi
ELF 7d4ce000-7d5d1000 Deferred shell32<elf>
\-PE 7d4e0000-7d5d1000 \ shell32
ELF 7d5d1000-7d62a000 Deferred rpcrt4<elf>
\-PE 7d5e0000-7d62a000 \ rpcrt4
ELF 7d62a000-7d6cb000 Deferred ole32<elf>
\-PE 7d640000-7d6cb000 \ ole32
ELF 7d6cb000-7d6e9000 Deferred iphlpapi<elf>
\-PE 7d6d0000-7d6e9000 \ iphlpapi
ELF 7d747000-7d75c000 Deferred psapi<elf>
\-PE 7d750000-7d75c000 \ psapi
ELF 7d9a2000-7d9cf000 Deferred ws2_32<elf>
\-PE 7d9b0000-7d9cf000 \ ws2_32
ELF 7d9cf000-7d9e9000 Deferred wsock32<elf>
\-PE 7d9e0000-7d9e9000 \ wsock32
ELF 7d9e9000-7d9f2000 Deferred libxcursor.so.1
ELF 7d9f2000-7da0f000 Deferred imm32<elf>
\-PE 7da00000-7da0f000 \ imm32
ELF 7da0f000-7da14000 Deferred libxfixes.so.3
ELF 7da14000-7da17000 Deferred libxinerama.so.1
ELF 7da1a000-7da2d000 Deferred libresolv.so.2
ELF 7da3a000-7da5f000 Deferred netapi32<elf>
\-PE 7da40000-7da5f000 \ netapi32
ELF 7da5f000-7da86000 Deferred secur32<elf>
\-PE 7da70000-7da86000 \ secur32
ELF 7deb2000-7e84a000 Deferred libglcore.so.1
ELF 7e84a000-7e8e0000 Deferred libgl.so.1
ELF 7e8e0000-7e9d1000 Deferred libx11.so.6
ELF 7e9d1000-7e9df000 Deferred libxext.so.6
ELF 7e9e0000-7e9e3000 Deferred libxcomposite.so.1
ELF 7e9e3000-7e9e9000 Deferred libxrandr.so.2
ELF 7e9e9000-7e9f1000 Deferred libxrender.so.1
ELF 7e9f7000-7ea87000 Deferred winex11<elf>
\-PE 7ea10000-7ea87000 \ winex11
ELF 7eb90000-7ebb0000 Deferred libexpat.so.1
ELF 7ebb0000-7ebdb000 Deferred libfontconfig.so.1
ELF 7ebdb000-7ebf0000 Deferred libz.so.1
ELF 7ebf0000-7ec60000 Deferred libfreetype.so.6
ELF 7ec60000-7eca9000 Deferred advapi32<elf>
\-PE 7ec70000-7eca9000 \ advapi32
ELF 7eca9000-7ed44000 Deferred gdi32<elf>
\-PE 7ecc0000-7ed44000 \ gdi32
ELF 7ed44000-7ee83000 Deferred user32<elf>
\-PE 7ed60000-7ee83000 \ user32
ELF 7ee83000-7ee8c000 Deferred libnss_compat.so.2
ELF 7ee8f000-7ee94000 Deferred libxdmcp.so.6
ELF 7efc3000-7efe8000 Deferred libm.so.6
ELF 7efe8000-7f000000 Deferred libnsl.so.1
ELF f7c82000-f7c84000 Deferred libnvidia-tls.so.1
ELF f7c84000-f7c8f000 Deferred libnss_files.so.2
ELF f7c90000-f7c94000 Deferred libdl.so.2
ELF f7c94000-f7dde000 Deferred libc.so.6
ELF f7ddf000-f7df7000 Deferred libpthread.so.0
ELF f7df7000-f7dfa000 Deferred libxau.so.6
ELF f7dfb000-f7e05000 Deferred libnss_nis.so.2
ELF f7e0f000-f7f23000 Deferred libwine.so.1
ELF f7f25000-f7f43000 Deferred ld-linux.so.2
Threads:
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
00000045 (D) C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gow_gameandwatch\counter-strike source\hl2.exe
0000005b 0
0000005a 0
00000059 0
00000058 0
00000057 0
00000056 0
00000055 0
00000052 15
00000051 0
00000050 15
0000004f 0
0000004e 0
0000004d 0
0000004a 0
00000048 0
00000030 15
0000002a 2
00000029 0
00000046 0
00000021 0
0000001f 2
00000024 0 <==
0000000a
0000000b 0
00000049 1
00000047 1
00000033 0
0000002b 0
00000044 0
00000043 0
00000042 1
00000041 0
00000040 1
0000003f 0
0000003e 1
0000003d 0
0000003c 1
0000003b 0
0000003a 1
00000039 0
00000038 1
00000037 0
00000036 1
00000035 0
00000034 1
0000002f 0
0000002e 0
0000002d 0
0000002c 0
00000028 0
00000027 1
00000026 0
00000025 0
00000023 0
00000022 1
00000020 0
0000001e 15
0000001c 0
0000001b 15
0000001a 15
00000019 0
00000018 0
00000017 0
00000016 0
00000015 0
00000014 1
00000013 0
00000012 0
00000011 0
00000010 0
0000000f 0
0000000e 0
0000000d 0
0000000c 0
00000009 0
Shutting down. . .

I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 64 bit through wine 0.9.48, with -dxlevel 80 and Alsa for sound, using a custom 2.6.23.1 kernel and nVidia drivers done through envy.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

blitze
November 5th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I can't seem to get HL2 or Episode 1 running due to a
"filesystem_steam.dll" error.

Running Gutsy x64
WINE 0.9.48 x64

Steam loads and runs well and I also not that there is a mouse pointer capture issue with red Orchestra still. Oneday I hope to have that resolved under WINE.

Tuckwoor
November 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I seem to have the same problem as Skalman5 and Crayment where I have steam installed and it runs, have css downloaded (and launch options set to: -dxlevel 80 -gl -console) and when I launch it it just resizes, shows the loading screen and then crashes back to desktop with the new sizing.

I tried running the winedebug from a terminal but get:

wine: cannot find 'c:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/steam.exe'

I have set audio to OSS, hardware acc-basic, sample rate 22050, 16 bit, driver emulation off.

glxgears runs with decent frame rates (its a dirty ATI 9550).

Wine is 0.9.46.

crayment
November 6th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I seem to have the same problem as Skalman5 and Crayment where I have steam installed and it runs, have css downloaded (and launch options set to: -dxlevel 80 -gl -console) and when I launch it it just resizes, shows the loading screen and then crashes back to desktop with the new sizing.

I tried running the winedebug from a terminal but get:

wine: cannot find 'c:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/steam.exe'

I have set audio to OSS, hardware acc-basic, sample rate 22050, 16 bit, driver emulation off.

glxgears runs with decent frame rates (its a dirty ATI 9550).

Wine is 0.9.46.

Do you get the warning about your video driver being out of date?
I feel like i'm the only one...

I got the stederr output that wine produces before it crashes back to my login screen. Hopefully it makes sense to someone.

This the contents of the file err.txt after this command.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/cody/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 220 2>err.txt

err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path.
err:ntlm:SECUR32_initNTLMSP Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
err:dscapture:widDsCreate DirectSoundCapture flag not set
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,103,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,103,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,177,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,224,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,197,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,140,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,83,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,83,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2002c,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x10370310)->(1 00000002 0x147c8c0)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x10370310)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x10370310)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x10370310)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x1ec038)->(1 00000002 0x147c928)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1ec038)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x1ec038)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1ec038)->(ffffffff)
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c5cc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
err:systray:delete_icon invalid tray icon ID specified: 1
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x1de018)->(1 00000002 0x147db90)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1de018)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x1de018)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1de018)->(ffffffff)
fixme:process:IsWow64Process (0xffffffff 0x3d6e88) stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,236,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,18,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,18,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,236,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,88,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,166,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,166,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,88,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,62,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,192,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,30,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,224,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x2009c,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,217,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,159,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,102,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,49,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x40030,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x1de018)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_UIDeactivate (0x1de018)
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x1de018)->(1)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34e174,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0000: stub!
X connection to :2.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Tuckwoor
November 6th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I don't get a message about it being out of date but I do get one saying unsupported video card and then gives my driver details as windows version: windows xp, description direct3d hal, version 6.14.0.0. Not sure why it comes up with direct3d thing when I have the switch set to -gl.

My crash doesn't take me back to login screen but back to desktop but now resized to 640x480 or whatever css was trying to run in before it gave up.

Rafadagaffer
November 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hi

I'm getting the same problem as many people trying to get steam games working. Im using Feisty, the lastest version of wine, the ATI restricted driver and the launch options are -novid -height 1280 -width 1024 -console -dxlevel 81.

When I try to launch any steam app, it loads up fine, shows the menu screen but then crashes back to the desktop at whatever resolution the game was running at.

I can post the output of the log file for wine if needed. Just need to get hl2dm working so I can get rid of windows :)

Any help would be great

aoanla
November 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I don't get a message about it being out of date but I do get one saying unsupported video card and then gives my driver details as windows version: windows xp, description direct3d hal, version 6.14.0.0. Not sure why it comes up with direct3d thing when I have the switch set to -gl.

That's because the Source engine doesn't have an OpenGL rendering path. It's only DirectX (except on the PS3, obviously). The -gl option to Steam only actually does anything on non-Source engine games which have an OpenGL renderer - for example, the original Half-life.

Tuckwoor
November 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
k, was just for information really. Running css from console with:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/tuckwoor/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 240

gives:

dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\ *.mix
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\ *.asi
dir: C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\ *.flt
err:dscapture:widDsCreate DirectSoundCapture flag not set
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x13d83f70)->(1 00000002 0x13fcd38)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x13d83f70)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x13d83f70)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x13d83f70)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x13d84300)->(1 00000002 0x13fcda0)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x13d84300)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x13d84300)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x13d84300)->(ffffffff)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34c5cc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x20096,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
err:systray:delete_icon invalid tray icon ID specified: 1
fixme:shdocvw:ViewObject_SetAdvise (0x13edb7f8)->(1 00000002 0x13fe9f8)
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x13edb7f8)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsBrowser (0x13edb7f8)->(ffffffff)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x13edb7f8)->(ffffffff)
fixme:process:IsWow64Process (0xffffffff 0x3e6e88) stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x20096,0x00000000,252,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,2,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,2,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x20096,0x00000000,252,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x20096,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,183,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,135,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,62,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,19,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:win:SetLayeredWindowAttributes (0x30030,0x00000000,0,2): stub!
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_InPlaceDeactivate (0x13edb7f8)
fixme:shdocvw:OleInPlaceObject_UIDeactivate (0x13edb7f8)
fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x13edb7f8)->(1)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34e1e4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0000: stub!
fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x1) : stub
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x134d38) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x134d38) Event query: Unimplemented, but pretending to be supported
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_cmp (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_mul_low (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_pow (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_mul_high (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_sub_high (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_cmp (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_mul_low (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_pow (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_mul_high (a)
fixme:dbghelp_dwarf:dwarf2_parse_variable Unsupported form for const value srgb_sub_high (a)
fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!

With same result of crashing back to desktop which has been resized.

Tuckwoor
November 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
As another bit of info, day of defeat 1.6 works when given -gl switch so think css problem is directx related. Any ideas?

Skalman5
November 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Setting sound to ALSA and changing graphics driver from mesa3d to ATI (because iĺl have an ATI graphics card). Solved the problem i described in my previous post. But then i got an errormessage "Failed to read from vertex buffer" (or something like that)

That problem solved when wine updated itself by the automatic update.

Now i can play the game but there are some annoyances:
1. I can't play the game with -dxlevel higher than 70 (higher=vertex-bug)
2. Maximum resolution is 800x600 (any higher resolution will make the "Vertex"-crash described above.
3. Any settings i do in CS:S reverts back to "factory-default" everytime i quit playing. (setting back the videosettings to 640x480 etc)
4. And the game seems very slow. The ping is low but it lags sometimes and it feels like im several hundreds "behind" the other players playing.

So.. Anyone got any ideas? :)

Tuckwoor
November 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Different problem to me then I suspect as I had the 8.42.3 ati driver from the start and still crash back from the "loading" screen to the desktop in game resolution.

What version of the ati driver are you running now Skalman? Is it the restricted driver?

Skalman5
November 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Yes im running the restricted driver (i think) latest version.
You can easily check your configuration by typing some command (which iīve forgotten) in the terminal. If it says mesa3d its wrong it should say ATI.

Thereīs a very good walkthrough somewhere outthere that i followed.

What iīve learned at that walkthrough was that these restricted ATI drivers donīt install themself when you install ubuntu, which i tought was the case. They need to be installed manually and you have to type some various commands in the terminal (aka not pickīn click). When iīve done that my graphics and desktop reverted back to sh*t-mode but got normal again when i restarted the computer and clicked yes to some warnings. Tadaaa ATI-driver installed :)

Tuckwoor
November 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Sorry, you misunderstand. I thought I had same problem as you but your's was the mesa problem. I've had the restricted drivers on all along but still no joy. Was just wondering if you had the 8.42.3 ones on now you have got something up and running (albeit with the lag problems etc you listed) or whether they were earlier ones.

KillerJoe
November 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
1. I can't play the game with -dxlevel higher than 70 (higher=vertex-bug)
2. Maximum resolution is 800x600 (any higher resolution will make the "Vertex"-crash described above.
3. Any settings i do in CS:S reverts back to "factory-default" everytime i quit playing. (setting back the videosettings to 640x480 etc)
4. And the game seems very slow. The ping is low but it lags sometimes and it feels like im several hundreds "behind" the other players playing.
1. Might be your video card? (does it support higher dx levels?)
2. ?
3. Add something like -w 800 to you startup options... (or even try adding it to your autoexec.cfg - if you don't have any - create one)
4. Be sure to play only on near by servers - also check your rate settings..

Recommended settings (for good internet and on nearby servers):

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100
cl_interp 0.01

(note - these rate settings are as memorized - may be faulty)

ilh
November 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Anyone having problems getting sound in Source games? Tried CSS and DoD:S which both run great (better than they do in Windows surprisingly) but I get no sound. I get sound in Infantry and CoD2 so it's not my soundcard or what have you.

Any ideas?

Ta

boast
November 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Anyone having problems getting sound in Source games? Tried CSS and DoD:S which both run great (better than they do in Windows surprisingly) but I get no sound. I get sound in Infantry and CoD2 so it's not my soundcard or what have you.

Any ideas?

Ta

If i run source with winecfg set to use OSS, i get no sound. I have to use alsa with hardware emulation

ilh
November 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Ok thanks. Just tried it and i'm getting the menu music. Will try in game after dinner. Read that alsa lags a lot, does it lag for you?

AJLChase
December 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM
So, I just got WoW up and running really well...but I can't get steam to install. When I download the installer to my desktop it is saved as
"SteamInstall.msi" and no matter if I right click it or tell wine to run it..nothing at all happens. Any suggestions?

nawitus
December 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
So, I just got WoW up and running really well...but I can't get steam to install. When I download the installer to my desktop it is saved as
"SteamInstall.msi" and no matter if I right click it or tell wine to run it..nothing at all happens. Any suggestions?

You should always use the Wine Application Database first, since that usually tells you how to install games/software.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1554

You can try "wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi" or "wine start SteamInstall.msi"

mikesrex
December 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I looked and can't find someone with the same problem as me

running nvidia drivers (on an 8600GTS), wine 0.9.51,

I've got steam up and running. I downloaded CSS using the download option on steam. Now when I launch CSS everything just closes out without any sort of message indicating CSS is trying to launch.

Here are the errors in the console screen since I told steam to run in console with the errorfree thing.

err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
err: ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
err:wgl:get_render_type_from_fbconfig Unknown render_type: 0
err:d3d:WineD3D_CreateFakeGLContext Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
err:d3d:InitAdapters Failed to get a gl context for default adapter
err:wine_d3d:WineDirect3DCreate Direct3D9 is not available without opengl

(space added between err: and ole to keep it from doing a smily FWIW)

hasmind
February 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Okay, I read the first 18 pages of this thread (!) hoping that someone might have already have an answer to this:

problem 1) I have steam starting, but then my cursor points about 1/2 a centimeter above where steam thinks it's pointing. However, I can live with that.

problem 2) However, what I can't live with is Counter Strike crashing for no apparent reason, just after the loading screen. I get a lot of jibberish like

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".

but I really don't know what that is.

thanks

edit- oops, I read the first 18 pages, but not the most recent post! I guess it has something to do with the most recent version of wine. I have version 0.9.46 by the way.

d_skillz
October 30th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Okay, I read the first 18 pages of this thread (!) hoping that someone might have already have an answer to this:

problem 1) I have steam starting, but then my cursor points about 1/2 a centimeter above where steam thinks it's pointing. However, I can live with that.

problem 2) However, what I can't live with is Counter Strike crashing for no apparent reason, just after the loading screen. I get a lot of jibberish like

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".

but I really don't know what that is.

thanks

edit- oops, I read the first 18 pages, but not the most recent post! I guess it has something to do with the most recent version of wine. I have version 0.9.46 by the way.

Same here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

YokoZar
October 30th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Please start a new thread instead of bumping an extremely old one. Edgy's been unsupported for over a year at this point.