PDA

View Full Version : What programs do you run on your personal home server?

themikeflynn
November 22nd, 2006, 01:45 AM
Recently I setup an Ubuntu home server to backup files, and sort of just as an experiment. Right now it's only useful for using webapps since I haven't sorted out Samba, but I was wondering what else would be cool to have on there. All I have now is TorrentFlux, MediaWiki, phpMyAdmin, and SWAT.

I'd like to make use of more things on here. It's only for personal use so it can handle the load. What kind of things do you guys use on your server? :D

Sam
November 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
mldonkey
torrentflux
courier, postfix & co.
apache, mysql
nfs
sshd

darkhatter
November 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM
firewall/router

scrooge_74
November 22nd, 2006, 02:49 AM
Firewall/router
SAMBA
CUPS
Backup
SSH

Try to make it into a fax server, but the darn modem was to hard to setup so I gave up on that

adamkane
November 22nd, 2006, 02:51 AM
NFS.

I use a $200 appliance for my router/firewall. Set it and forget it.

Sam
November 22nd, 2006, 02:52 AM
If you use/want VoIP telephony, you can also install asterisk.

adamkane
November 22nd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Nice!

scrooge_74
November 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM
If you use/want VoIP telephony, you can also install asterisk.

I am curious about asterisk, but I am not sure if I understand it well. Does your server becomes like a telephone central of sorts? Do I make calls into it from VoIp device when outside the country (for example) and it dials local numbers for me?

Sam
November 22nd, 2006, 03:30 AM
I am curious about asterisk, but I am not sure if I understand it well. Does your server becomes like a telephone central of sorts? Do I make calls into it from VoIp device when outside the country (for example) and it dials local numbers for me?

I don't have it myself. I'm planning to have it soon, but for now I have not a lot of info about it. Have a look on their website (http://www.asterisk.org/), maybe you'll find what you need.

I have a friend who has asterisk on its server, and he knows it well. If you need more info ask me and I'll contact him tomorrow (it's 3:30 AM here).

scrooge_74
November 22nd, 2006, 03:35 AM
I don't have it myself. I'm planning to have it soon, but for now I have not a lot of info about it. Have a look on their website (http://www.asterisk.org/), maybe you'll find what you need.

I have a friend who has asterisk on its server, and he knows it well. If you need more info ask me and I'll contact him tomorrow (it's 3:30 AM here).

It sounds like something one should know about, but I can't make heads from tails of the info in the website.

If you manage to talk to your friend let me know a practical example of its use. Who knows maybe is something I can use at work one day.

Cheers!

adamkane
November 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Asterix can be run from a live CD.

Falconix
November 24th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Apache, PHP, mySQL, FreeNX, Samba, X-chat, Gaim

basketcase
November 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
when I had my server up and running, it was basically a LAMP server for local testing for php/mysql websites I had developed at the time. It was also a place for testing beta forum software and had a gallery setup to store photos for friends.

Haven't had a server up in a while, might need to put one up.

burek
November 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Recently I setup an Ubuntu home server to backup files, and sort of just as an experiment. Right now it's only useful for using webapps since I haven't sorted out Samba, but I was wondering what else would be cool to have on there. All I have now is TorrentFlux, MediaWiki, phpMyAdmin, and SWAT.

I'd like to make use of more things on here. It's only for personal use so it can handle the load. What kind of things do you guys use on your server? :D

for your samba prb ; last post is explained howyo

beercz
November 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Samba (for backing up our one windows machine)
SSH
Web/Apache
ftp/Proftp
rsync/rsnapshot (http://rsnapshot.org/) (for backing up our linux clients)

Server runs on Debian Sarge - brilliant server software :-)

dca
November 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM
You could also try FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org) if the next server ends up being a place to b/u files.. It's a light-weight BSD-based dealie...

Aualin
December 3rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
mysql, apache (2.2), php5 (5.2.0), php6, wildfire, proftpd, samba, nfs, (dont ask why i use both). Running a personal little site on my network, mostly for testing, php, css, html and javascript. And then i run 4 forums on my personal network: phpBB2, phpBB2 modded into near destruction, phpBB3 and punBB.

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'm running

Xampp(Apache,php,perl,mysql,proftd)
Postfix
Samba
An IRC server... possible ngircd but I cant remember
a Jabber server (which i never use)
And a chat server for the game HoverRace which I wish someone would port to Linux :-)

ragnar_123
December 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
apache, php, mysql, ssh, samba, torrentflux, Web.GET (a wget web app) and i was going to set up team speak, but haven't had any time, yet.

I mostly use it for testing my php scripts.

atoponce
December 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Apache
MySQL
PHP
Irssi
Srceen
OpenSSH
print server

Used to run:
GnuMP3d
Bitlbee

RandomJoe
December 3rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
Firewall/router on a separate older machine.

The server is primarily for NFS shares, I have all my CDs and DVDs ripped to it (1TB RAID5) and stream them to all the other computers in the house, including the "projector PC" in the living room.

Since it's otherwise idle, over time I've added:
TikiWiki - random thoughts I dump from time to time!

rsync - backup all the other computers to the unused space on the RAID

MEncoder - found it easier to rip the DVDs on the projector PC then just ship all the VOBs to the server, set up a script, and let it churn for hours/days making my smaller files. (I target 2GB/movie.) This way the projector PC can get back to playing movies.

ZoneMinder - I have three network cameras, peeking out various windows of the house. Need to eventually get some that can see at night... :rolleyes:

Tried an IMAP server, wanted to basically have my own "webmail" that would suck down mail from my various accounts. Haven't gotten there yet...

OpenVPN - I can fire up my laptop anywhere else, and get a reasonably secure Inet connection by proxying everything back through a VPN to the house. As well as access to my home stuff.

Jose Catre-Vandis
December 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Similar to random joe. but without the luxury of cameras!

Apache, Mysql, PHP, gnump3d, NFS (which is accessed from Windows machines too!), D4X (downloads while I and the rest of the house PC's sleep), Mencoder (encodes while I sleep), VLC (for broadcast streaming),gFTP, and its an Edubuntu server which also provides LTSP, so that house PC's can network boot Edubuntu for central file storage, SSH and VNC for remote access to it.

luca.b
December 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I have a small home built router/firewall that runs several things. Among them samba+LDAP as a domain controller, amule-server, ssh, ftp, a DHCP server and DNS cache (thanks to the great program dnsmasq),cups and other things I forgot.

feest
December 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
LAMPP (Linux+Apache+Mysql+Php+Perl)

magicfab
January 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
apt-cacher