PDA

View Full Version : Fed up

trachycarpus
November 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM
I've been trying really hard to get to like Ubunto but without success. Its one battle after another. First Totem would'nt work, fixed. Then the sound, fixed. Scanner is a complete failure. Printer eventually(with a lot of help) working. Great I'll treat myself to a bit of Star-trek(Sad isn't it) and now the movie player won't. Re-install but it says the audio is busy but its not. Scratching my head so much I'm getting a bald patch. I think its back to Windows for a while, shame really but I can't spend all my time refixing everythng every day.

aysiu
November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
Well, you can't say you didn't try!

Sorry to see you go, but it's probably best for now.

If you do have Ubuntu in mind for the future, you may want to check out these links before buying new hardware:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

B0rsuk
November 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
I've been trying really hard to get to like Ubunto but without success.

I'm fed up with topics like this one. I won't miss you.

frup
November 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM
Hey atleast they've tried, its not like they're leaving because they can't get a .exe to install :P

fuscia
November 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM
i'm not sure i get the need for announcing one's departure.

steven8
November 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
I don't think they really want to leave. I think it's a last minute attempt to get that last bit of help needed to get them over the hump and actually stay with Linux.

Like when you don't really want to leave someone, and are hoping they'll tell you to stay. You know. . ."I'm going now! I'm not coming back. I mean it this time. I'm going out that door and I'm NOT coming back!!"

3rdalbum
November 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
It's amazing that they got to this site by typing "www.ubuntoforums.org". :-P

Mate, many people don't like Totem Gstreamer (the version that comes with Ubuntu). I'm probably one of the few Ubuntu users who hasn't swapped it for Totem Xine, and that's because I've got a number of other players to use.

My advice is, if Totem is giving you troubles, try MPlayer, Gxine or VLC.

viper
November 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
I'm fed up with topics like this one. I won't miss you.

To you my friend, you as all of us were once new to this, and had to be tolerated by more advanced users, so please lighten up give the guy a break.

Back on topic, trachycarpus...... have you tried Automatix http://www.getautomatix.com/ . All the multimedia codecs and players you might need to get things going.

xpod
November 21st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Aint that the whole point of "dualbooting"??

You install Ubuntu along side Windows or onto an old pc somewhere and slowly but surely you learn all it takes to at least have a working ubuntu which was why one installs it in the first place surely:confused:

Then one day a month or two down the road you suddenly realise you no longer need to boot into windows.
You surely did`nt learn all it took to use windows well in the space of one month back when you first ever got that?

Automatix sounds like it would have been just the ticket as the last chap said.

Pity

56phil
November 21st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Good luck with whatever environment you choose.:)

trachycarpus
November 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM
What a pity some of the people replying to my post are not more tolerant. I've tried to get to grips with Ubunto but not really succeeded. Does this qualify me for a flaming, if so then its not the happy/helpful forum I thought I was joining. We all had to start somewhere, some of us are not quite as young as we were and things take a little longer to absorb, especially after years of Windows. To those who tried to help(and often did) thank you, I'll not be formatting the drive yet. To those with the attitude, lighten up a bit.

matthew
November 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM
What a pity some of the people replying to my post are not more tolerant. I've tried to get to grips with Ubunto but not really succeeded. Does this qualify me for a flaming, if so then its not the happy/helpful forum I thought I was joining. We all had to start somewhere, some of us are not quite as young as we were and things take a little longer to absorb, especially after years of Windows. To those who tried to help(and often did) thank you, I'll not be formatting the drive yet. To those with the attitude, lighten up a bit.I wish you well in your attempts to use Ubuntu or in the future if you must look elsewhere.

The tone of your posts in this thread is edgy and confrontational. The responses have been mostly positive, far more so than would be expected in most places, so I congratulate the participants of the thread for keeping things civil. That said, feel free to post a new thread with an actual help topic and a question. I can't see any compelling reason for this thread's continuation. I'm closing it.