PDA

View Full Version : Samba Installation problem

Enygma
November 3rd, 2004, 12:06 AM
Hi,

I tried to install samba via synaptic but there was some kind of an error during the installation. The error then appeared every time I used synaptic, even for other packages.

I tried to completely remove samba using synaptic and I got this message:

invoke-rc.d: dangling symlink: /etc/rc2.d/K09samba
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 102

Does anyone know how to fix this or what went wrong?

Thanks

kastorff
November 3rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
I had that too...just reloaded to make sure it wasn't something more serious. I had been playing around with stuff...figured I broke it.

Enygma
November 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Bah just got it there, took a look at the symlink in /etc/rc.2/ it was pointing to /samba rather than ../init.d/samba

That did the trick.

xethm55
November 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
how do you change the symlink?

senectus
December 21st, 2004, 08:41 AM
Like this:
cd /etc/rc2.d/
ls -l
(look for the samba link and see where its pointing in this case the link name was "S91samba")
rm S91samba
ln -s /etc/init.d/samba S91samba

thats it.. after that you update the package and its happy :-D

**EDIT oh yeah and either do it as root or sudo everything..

FX
December 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Bah I can't get it to work and I've tried the rm and ln -s. :( Not sure whats going on. Even tried to removing and resinatlling and I get errors about the smylink being wrong.

senectus
December 26th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Bah I can't get it to work and I've tried the rm and ln -s. :( Not sure whats going on. Even tried to removing and resinatlling and I get errors about the smylink being wrong.

you may actually find that there are multiple broken links.. make sure you look in /etc/rc3.d/
as well

BiGBuG
March 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM

pay attention, correct command is

ln -s ../init.d/samba S91samba

and not

ln -s /etc/init.d/samba S91samba

This solved my issues ;)