PDA

View Full Version : For Edgy Distro, This Firefox 2.0 is quite buggy... Isnt it?

burek
November 21st, 2006, 04:37 AM
Edgy, This Firefox 2.0 is quite buggy... Isnt it?

2-5 min of surfing then crash. You have noticed sthg similar?

thx

BWF89
November 21st, 2006, 04:41 AM
It does crash more (in general not just on Edgy or even Linux) than older versions of Firefox. But they included the session restore which goes as far as to record the post I'm typing on a forum when it crashes. So it kinda evens out. But hopefully the crashing is just doe to the rush to relese version 2.0 and it will get straightened out in the next couple versions.

burek
November 21st, 2006, 04:45 AM
It does crash more (in general not just on Edgy or even Linux) than older versions of Firefox. But they included the session restore which goes as far as to record the post I'm typing on a forum when it crashes. So it kinda evens out. But hopefully the crashing is just doe to the rush to relese version 2.0 and it will get straightened out in the next couple versions.

So, if it is normal, for me, it looks like M$ Windows,
maybe they should have set up a blue screen seession restore... :D :D

I am using Opera now, and it does well his job.
THe 9. has lot of features more ! 8)

Thank you for your information !!

TeraDyne
November 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
So, if it is normal, for me, it looks like M$ Windows,
maybe they should have set up a blue screen seession restore... :D :D

I am using Opera now, and it does well his job.
THe 9. has lot of features more ! 8)

Thank you for your information !!
Yeah, I noticed all the crashing, and that FF2 tends to hog more resources than ever before. That's fine for me, though, as I use the SeaMonkey suite. Even the 1.1 beta is lighter and more stable than FF2.

BTW, how do you like Opera 9? I think it's great, but I don't like the interface all that much. Too many options for me.

fuscia
November 21st, 2006, 07:14 AM
that was such a problem for me, i switched to epiphany for awhile. now, i'm using swiftfox and get no more than the 'normal' crashes.

KiwiNZ
November 21st, 2006, 07:49 AM
Firefox 2 is a pain. For the first time in a long time I do not have a Mozilla version installed .

I have stopped using it as it kept crashing in both Nix and Windows.

FyreBrand
November 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM
I've had fewer problems on Linux though it still crashes a bit. The Windows versions at work crash so often on the mid to low end machines that we had to revert to 1.5.xx. On Windows the XPCOM error is back where the gui front-end for FF closes but it still has a running processes(s).

It doesn't feel more resource heavy though. I would use Opera but I can't ever seem to configure Java and Flash properly on it. I can't use the school's Moodle site properly with it or Konquerer. I really love how both of those handle bookmarking.

ssam
November 21st, 2006, 10:03 AM
for some people this might be caused by swap having been disabled by the edgy upgrade.

run

cat /proc/meminfo
and look for a line like

SwapTotal: 524276 kB
if it is zero, or not there at all then your swap is not enabled.

if this is the problem see http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=287096

Luffield
November 21st, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have mixed experiences with FF2. At home, on Edgy, it crashes too often and I would go back to Dapper if I had the time to reinstall. On Windows 2000 it's less stabe than FF 1.5 but still usable. At work, on WinXP and a new computer, it works very well.

mips
November 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Is it not a Edgy problem ?

I have swftfox 2.o installed on Dapper and have had zero issues with it.

Magnes
November 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Strange. I use Firefox2.0 on Ubuntu 6.10 for a long time and I think it's working better than 1.5. Crashes are very rare on my system but sometimes xorg crashes with firefox (probably nvidia beta drivers issue) - nothing I can't live with.

Suzan
November 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Firefox 2 works wonderful on my Ubuntu Edgy.

If it crashes, it's a fault of the Flash-Plugin...

bailout
November 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
BTW, how do you like Opera 9? I think it's great, but I don't like the interface all that much. Too many options for me.

I spot a Gnome/Windows user ;) Options and the freedom to set a program up how you want rather than having all decisions made for you by the developer can be frightening and overwhelming at first. The important thing is that you try and stay calm, don't panic and keep telling yourself that 'you can cope with this':D

Always remember that you are not alone. There are lots of support groups that can give you advise and help you through your fear and confusion. The forums at Opera.com are full of people willing and able to help. Many of them used to be Firefox/IE/Gnome users as well and have been on the same terrifying journey to freedom that you have just started on.

To help you get going in this frightening new world of user control, try right-clicking on a toolbar and selecting 'customise'. This will open a window with lots of tabs and options but DON'T PANIC. If you remain calm and work through it you can use these tools to turn off any toolbers you don't want, set what and how they display and remove or add buttons as you wish.

If you can't cope with doing too much at one go, don't worry, that is perfectly ok. Perhaps just try a little at a time and I am sure with daily practise you will improve.

Good Luck :D

mcduck
November 21st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm still waiting for Firefox 2 to crash. Hasn't happened this far :)

I think FF1.5 crashed two or three times during the time I used Dapper. I wonder what plugins and extensions you people are using if FF is so unstable for you?

Biggus
November 21st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Well, I'm still waiting for Firefox 2 to crash. Hasn't happened this far

Same for me. Day 9 of Ubuntu and still no problems with Firefox, or any other software for that matter.

TeraDyne
November 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
I spot a Gnome/Windows user ;) Options and the freedom to set a program up how you want rather than having all decisions made for you by the developer can be frightening and overwhelming at first. The important thing is that you try and stay calm, don't panic and keep telling yourself that 'you can cope with this':D

Always remember that you are not alone. There are lots of support groups that can give you advise and help you through your fear and confusion. The forums at Opera.com are full of people willing and able to help. Many of them used to be Firefox/IE/Gnome users as well and have been on the same terrifying journey to freedom that you have just started on.

To help you get going in this frightening new world of user control, try right-clicking on a toolbar and selecting 'customise'. This will open a window with lots of tabs and options but DON'T PANIC. If you remain calm and work through it you can use these tools to turn off any toolbers you don't want, set what and how they display and remove or add buttons as you wish.

If you can't cope with doing too much at one go, don't worry, that is perfectly ok. Perhaps just try a little at a time and I am sure with daily practise you will improve.

Good Luck :D
XD Actually, I'm a KDE user. If you give me a lot of options, I'll be happy. However, there's a limit to how many options I like having. While it's useful, I don't like having to customize the entire interface. I like something like Seamonkey that gives me plenty of options, but doesn't go overboard.

As for whoever mentioned swap, I have this on a clean install with over 5GB of swap on top of 1GB of DDR2 RAM. FF2 still had major memory problems as well as the crashing. SM1.1b has no such problems, though, so I'll stick with it.

michaeljb2005
November 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
Firefox 2 was crashing for me everytime I opened it. I'm not sure what it was, and I don't think it was java or flash because I had it start a new session. So I reinstalled and then it didn't crash anymore. I think it may have been the new nvidia driver 9629 because that's what I had installed before and now reverted back to the older driver in the repos. I heard it was buggy for my hardware which is a geforce 6800 Go. Edgy certainly is edgy.

FyreBrand
November 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Well, I'm still waiting for Firefox 2 to crash. Hasn't happened this far :)

I think FF1.5 crashed two or three times during the time I used Dapper. I wonder what plugins and extensions you people are using if FF is so unstable for you?In Edgy all crashes I can think of are when I'm on a Java site. In Windows XP at work the only time it normally crashes are on the public computers which are mid-grade AMD and Intel 1.4 - 1.8Ghz CPU's with 256MB RAM. On my office computer (2.4Ghz 1GB RAM) it never crashes.

So on Edgy I'm thinking it has to do with Java. The only plug-ins I have installed are Adblock and Flash9-beta. It hasn't crashed on a Flash site that I can think of.

mcduck
November 23rd, 2006, 08:23 AM
In Edgy all crashes I can think of are when I'm on a Java site. In Windows XP at work the only time it normally crashes are on the public computers which are mid-grade AMD and Intel 1.4 - 1.8Ghz CPU's with 256MB RAM. On my office computer (2.4Ghz 1GB RAM) it never crashes.

So on Edgy I'm thinking it has to do with Java. The only plug-ins I have installed are Adblock and Flash9-beta. It hasn't crashed on a Flash site that I can think of.
Yeah, Java could be the reason. I don't have that installed, and only couple of extensions I can't live without..

But I'll have to install Java soon for the Danish online bank to work.. I sure hope that won't ruin the stability of my FF :-k

Circus-Killer
November 23rd, 2006, 08:33 AM
personally, i've had no issues.

pwolfe
November 25th, 2006, 01:00 AM
FF2 crashes for me everytime I click a link to download a file

edgy / kde / beryl

AndyCooll
November 25th, 2006, 02:05 AM
FF used to crash for me. I found it was related to the Flash-plugin. I then found out how to rectify the problem by editing a setting in my xorg.conf. No problems since.

So ...no, it isn't buggy.

:cool:

dbbolton
November 25th, 2006, 02:31 AM
i actually kept 1.5

blueshirts
November 29th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Firefox 2 works wonderful on my Ubuntu Edgy.

If it crashes, it's a fault of the Flash-Plugin...

I can confirm this. Not sure if this discussed further in this thread though I upgraded to Edgy today and Firefox crashed every time it opened. My home page was set to Yahoo which has some flash content. Every time the full Yahoo page loaded the browser would crash. To solve the issue I deleted the plug-in files that were previously installed in the ~/.mozilla directory and no more crashes.

omns
November 29th, 2006, 08:04 AM

patrick295767
December 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Edgy, This Firefox 2.0 is quite buggy... Isnt it?

2-5 min of surfing then crash. You have noticed sthg similar?

thx

Even firefox under windows it is more stable :) :) :)
Use Opera; its a solution until they fix it ...

xopher
December 1st, 2006, 09:11 PM
My fx is quite stable, it crashes ~2 times / week. And I do a lot of surfing ;) Anyway, for me it's probably related to the nspluginwrapper, and Flash 9. Im sure it'll improve when they release the stable one.

omns
December 3rd, 2006, 02:04 AM

viper
December 3rd, 2006, 02:45 AM
Mine has been very stable so far, only one time when it crashed on you tube, but i suspect that was flash related.

vayu
December 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
FF used to crash for me. I found it was related to the Flash-plugin. I then found out how to rectify the problem by editing a setting in my xorg.conf. No problems since.

So ...no, it isn't buggy.

:cool:

Please share that xorg setting.

Malta paul
December 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
My be I have lucked-out with my system. I have hand no problems with firefox 2.0 on Edgy or for that matter M$ :)

burek
December 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
My be I have lucked-out with my system. I have hand no problems with firefox 2.0 on Edgy or for that matter M$ :)

after using automatix, all troubles disappear ...
as said it s somehtg with flash or i dont know what ...

Malta paul
December 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Great news Burek, Well done Ya :)

EdThaSlayer
December 22nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Its VERY buggy for me. I keep getting this "core dump" crash all the time.

blastus
December 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
Firefox 2.0 crashed all the time for me too. It frequently crashed when a dialog needed to be shown like adding a bookmark, saving a link, or logging into a website that uses HTTP basic authentication.

I've moved to Epiphany now. Epiphany is unstable also but nowhere near as Firefox. For example, every time I try to delete all my bookmarks, Epiphany crashes. But I can live with that since it is not something I need to do very often, like save a link or add a bookmark.

eriqk
December 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
No problems with Fx 2 on Edgy here. I use the flashplayer 9 beta, and Fx from the repos.
I'm typing this on a machine with 256 MB of memory, and I can't say it's much of a system hog.

Groet, Erik

cslarson
December 25th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'm using epiphany to type this because firefox is completely unusable. I removed flash, but that wasn't the problem. It could be the beta nvidia drivers i'm using. I don't really know how to debug it and it's really frustrating. I like firefox because it's nice to use the same browser+extensions in windows and ubuntu. Firefox 2.0 seems to be quite stable in windows on my machine. ...oh well, i at least take some comfort in knowing i'm not the only one with the problem, but disappointing non-the-less...

burek
December 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Iguess automatix may help you to install java ... and so on, no ?

Luffield
December 25th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I installed Iceweasel and it works much better, just like Firefox 1.5 worked on Dapper, and all my extensions work fine as well. I didn't install Flash on it, maybe that's why it doesn't crash :)

_simon_
December 25th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Never had an issue with any version of firefox.

Currently using Firefox 3 Alpha 1 (Gran Paradiso). I've been using it since it's release and not had any issues at all.

patrick295767
December 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Due to too much bugs & non finalized debs with last releases of ubuntu (I am bored of fixing them myself and seeking for libs), I removed all my Ubuntu PC from home, and replaced them with DEBIAN . Now, what a great pleasure of doing Linux with highly stable LINUX !! No crashes anymore, firefox fully working, plugins too, videos never crashes ... It's soo smooth & stable as rock with DEBIAN ! Happy tux

kairu0
January 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Due to too much bugs & non finalized debs with last releases of ubuntu

Almost as many as Breezy.

wilberfan
February 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM
FF2 crashes for me everytime I click a link to download a file

edgy / kde / beryl

Me, too.... Only it's more like, maybe, half the time... Not predictable, but reasonably consistent.

Polygon
February 9th, 2007, 05:51 AM
maybe im just lucky, i havent experienced very many crashes with firefox

the only time that ff does freeze or crash is forum pages with lots of those little you tube embedded flash videos, then it starts slowing down and sometimes freezes

wilberfan
February 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM
The weird thing is, my crashes-when-trying-to-save-files problem only started in the last couple of weeks...