PDA

View Full Version : Someone please hurry and put ubuntu on a ps3...i'm tired of the fedora videos.

hikaricore
November 21st, 2006, 01:50 AM
](*,) That is all. =)

hikaricore
November 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM
Forgot to post a link so you can all feel my pain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnAn3h7kTM4

Busch
November 21st, 2006, 02:02 AM
im actually trying to get my hands on the nintendo wii myself :P im a nintendo kinda guy "fanboy" if you must lol

hikaricore
November 21st, 2006, 02:07 AM
lol, don't feel bad, I still own a virtual boy

adamkane
November 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM
ipodlinux doesn't even work on my 5G ipod yet. :(

tworkemon
November 21st, 2006, 04:28 AM
I've been trying.... I think ubuntu will need its own bootloader or a kboot hack :(

LemonyVengeance
November 21st, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm about to attempt my first linux install on a PS3. I know what you're going to say.... that I'm really jumping in head first.... which is accurate. I'm going to have to be like a blind man at a strip club. Feeling my way around. I'll let you know how it goes.

mrgnash
November 21st, 2006, 03:31 PM
Wii - the Gamecube with a bit more ram, and a lot more pointing.

Sorry, had to say it :P I don't think that the PS3 will be great for running Linux either... only 256mb RAM, no Flash 9 and many other 'missing' codecs for the PPC ed. and good luck getting anything like Beryl to run on it.

timbobsteve
November 21st, 2006, 03:43 PM
It is true... the PS3 Dev Kit is yet to release any usable code for the RSX chip (graphics card if you will)... so beryl and alot of other high end graphic apps just won't work on the vesa driver until a proper RSX driver is written.

Also, like someone mentioned, alot of apps have a hard time compiling on the PPC arch because of endianness issues (read: drivers).. so alot of third party peripherals will fail to work on the PS3.

Good luck to it though... If sony really do support Linux like they say they will, then it may turn into a usable platform for Linux peeps. If it is anything like PS2-Linux, then god help us all!

LemonyVengeance
November 21st, 2006, 04:50 PM
Ok, here's an update.

The guy above me is right. The PS3 doesn't recognize the bootloader on the ubuntu image that this site provides. someone will have to make one and release it to the public. It will all be a matter of time.

Brunellus
November 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM
Ok, here's an update.

The guy above me is right. The PS3 doesn't recognize the bootloader on the ubuntu image that this site provides. someone will have to make one and release it to the public. It will all be a matter of time.
I called it: free kernel, nonfree bootloader.

hikaricore
November 22nd, 2006, 02:38 AM
arg damn you fedora! ubuntu is foiled again. lol

darkhatter
November 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
Fedora is trying to pull a Debian and run on everything. They already officially support the intel-Mac's

adamkane
November 22nd, 2006, 02:47 AM
You can mod/hack Oblivion on the PC, but not on the XBOX360.

I'm glad that there will be mod-able Linux on PS3, so that users can become creators of their own gaming experience.

It'll also be nice to have Linux in the living room, instead of in the basement.

LemonyVengeance
November 22nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
ok, I was able to locate the mysterious Kboot file (called otheros.bld) and I'm at the kboot command line, but unsure of how to continue.

LemonyVengeance
November 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
ok. I'm back to my original stance. the Kboot file won't load the ubuntu disc... and I'm pretty sure it won't because the kboot is for fedora. If there was a way that we could have a bootloader made to install ubuntu.... I'm not brainy enough to do it. :(

kcy29581
November 22nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
I'm about to try and have a look at the "install-fc" script used to install Fedora Core 5 on the PS3. I'm hoping all that is needed is to modify the script for Ubuntu, perhaps use alien on the PS3-specific RPM's and change the kernel being installed (so it's PS3 specific)

ago
November 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
What about installing fedora and than using debootstrap to install Ubuntu? Has anyone tried that?

cantormath
November 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
](*,) That is all. =)

has anyone tried droppin the cd in there?

Dual Cortex
November 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
has anyone tried droppin the cd in there?

...!
Seems like you only read the first 2 posts of the thread!

cantormath
November 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
...!
Seems like you only read the first 2 posts of the thread!

it happens......

Lord Illidan
November 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Someone send me a ps3 and I will try it.:mrgreen:

LemonyVengeance
November 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
When going through the post on ps2.qj.net I realized a few things. when they say "You can only install via a DVD, CDs aren't supported!" they mean it, and that it is very well possible that because they're using Kboot, any kde based distro (like say...... KUBUNTU) would be able to install with no modification. pleas, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm in the process of downloading both the dvd image of Kubuntu, as well as the DVD image of Fedora core 6 just in case it doesn't work. unfortunatly I'm going to be gone for the weekend (thanksgiving and all) so I won't be able to let you know how it goes until sunday at the earliest.

daynah
November 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I'm about to try and have a look at the "install-fc" script used to install Fedora Core 5 on the PS3. I'm hoping all that is needed is to modify the script for Ubuntu, perhaps use alien on the PS3-specific RPM's and change the kernel being installed (so it's PS3 specific)

Is what your saying is taking fedora's boot + ubuntu's kernel... and then put it on a DVD? Cause my over-simplistic mind that hasn't a clue how to code thinks that that would be the way to go about it.

I would also be greatly saddened if Kubuntu worked and Ubuntu didn't, and I could only fiddle with gnome on the PS3 with Fedora. I have a personal vendetta against KDE.

Johnsie
November 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm glad people here are looking at getting this with Ubuntu. Good luck. If it's true and you can run Linux on a ps3 then it gives ps3 users more choice over what software they can use.

It's early days yet so I hope this works out and we can have a Pubuntu Linux distro lol.

justin whitaker
November 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
It's early days yet so I hope this works out and we can have a Pubuntu Linux distro lol.

And then you guys can use your powers for good, by getting BF2 to run on Linux Natively. :mrgreen:

LemonyVengeance
November 22nd, 2006, 10:59 PM
ok, I think we might be going about this the wrong way... The instructions on sony's web site say
"Obtain the boot loader file for the "Other OS" you want to install from the provider. Then save the boot loader file in the "otheros" folder created in step 2 with the name, "otheros.bld"." What if we were to take the boot loader file off the ubuntu dvd and rename it to otheros.bld? (also, I'm not sure what the name of the bootloader file is on the PPC distro and where to find it)

hikaricore
November 23rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
One thing to remember is that a ubuntu live setup on cd uses a compressed filesystem image, I'm not sure if this is the same for the dvd images of ubuntu, but I'd imagine this could cause some issues with booting.

kcy29581
November 23rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Is what your saying is taking fedora's boot + ubuntu's kernel... and then put it on a DVD? Cause my over-simplistic mind that hasn't a clue how to code thinks that that would be the way to go about it.

I would also be greatly saddened if Kubuntu worked and Ubuntu didn't, and I could only fiddle with gnome on the PS3 with Fedora. I have a personal vendetta against KDE.
not sure how to do that... I'm trying to figure out a way to install this, perhaps via debootstrap

JurB
November 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
How about a ps3 running XP in Qemu on Fedora (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-8800244920606286092&q=ps3+linux) :-k

mips
November 25th, 2006, 01:19 PM
http://www.bsc.es/plantillaG.php?cat_id=96
http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=115

hikaricore
November 26th, 2006, 04:50 PM
How about a ps3 running XP in Qemu on Fedora (http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-8800244920606286092&q=ps3+linux) :-k

rofl that just made my day

LemonyVengeance
November 26th, 2006, 08:24 PM
(Double post. Deleted)

LemonyVengeance
November 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM
It's been done. I don't thave the link right now, but ps3.qj.net posted a story saying that someone was able to set up xp by using qemu and boot to it (in fedora, of course). Of course the resources were maxed, but still it's a possibility. Now I can actually have a dedicated MCE box for my xbox 360! In your face, sony! Hahahhahahah

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
It's been done. I don't thave the link right now, but ps3.qj.net posted a story saying that someone was able to set up xp by using qemu and boot to it (in fedora, of course). Of course the resources were maxed, but still it's a possibility. Now I can actually have a dedicated MCE box for my xbox 360! In your face, sony! Hahahhahahah

:confused: just click the link!

LemonyVengeance
November 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm on my sidekick 3 right now and their site doesn't play nice with the browser on this device. I'll post it as soon as I can.

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I mean click the link in my previous post and watch the video...

LemonyVengeance
November 26th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Oh. *smacks forehead* sorry. Didn't catch it. I blame it on the crappy device browser.

JurB
November 26th, 2006, 09:05 PM
:wink:

tworkemon
November 28th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Lets get this going ;) *bump*

Ciego
December 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
It has been confirmed that you can install Ubuntu after installing Fedora, but I would still love to see a solution that will work without the extra step. I currently do not have a functioning DVD burner so I cannot test this. I have been trying for a few weeks now with my very minimal linux skills to get this to work without the Fedora install but have had little luck.

Check out the link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316047

Ciego
December 16th, 2006, 02:48 AM
For those interested, I created a thread for sharing PS3 aliases for the Playstation network.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=319528