PDA

View Full Version : 2 Machines / 2 OS / 2 Doubts

Sniffer
April 28th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Ok, this is my problem right now and i don't know what to do, SO PLEASE GIVE YOUR SHOT:

I have one Desktop:

AMD 2.6GHZ
HDD 160GB SATA
512MB RAM DDR 3200
GFORCE 5500FX 128MB

Then i have one Laptop:

CELERON 1.3GHZ
HDD 30GB IDE
512MB RAM DDR 2700
INTEL I810 INTEGRATED 64MB

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use my desktop for Net share, FTP server, P2P connections, to play some 3D games (taking advantage of my GF5500), flash, develop..everything and actually i have windows XP on it...running 24h / 7

In my laptop actually i have ubuntu (linux) and i use more for office / web design with nvu /develop with mono and eclipse and some others.....

My doubt now is that with Linux in my desktop i could take advantage of SQUID and for server Lin Rulez tough i couldn't take advantage of my GF5500 card FOR GAMES and i would use windows in my laptop...tough for games my integrated card SUCKS.....SO WHAT SHOULD I DO

Thks
Sniff.

UPDATE:

what i can't do in my Desktop, dual booting

I have to share my net connection at home 24h/7 so i can't just log off, play some games at windows and comeback to may loved Lin to share it again, for me i used lin in both desktop and laptop tough my student needs require Win32, flash, GAMES require that toooo

So i have just 3 choices:

Desktop - Windows
Laptop - Linux

Desktop - Linux
Laptop - Windows

Desktop - Windows OR Linux
Laptop - Dual Boot

az
April 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Maybe you can get a router to share your intenet?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=589855&Sku=D700-2206%20P

Or maybe you can buy an old pentium and use that as your router. It can handle your ftp stuff. and perhaps your p2p, too?

Using windows 24/7 as an ftp and filesharing server sounds like a bad idea anyway....

Sniffer
April 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Using windows 24/7 as an ftp and filesharing server sounds like a bad idea anyway....

I know, i know, i really know....

Thks for your tips.

somuchfortheafter
April 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM
how do you not already have a router

panickedthumb
April 29th, 2005, 05:33 AM
2 nics in one computer-- nic1 to the cable modem, nic2 to the other PC. I did it for quite a while.