PDA

View Full Version : Creating .debs of scripts

mssever
November 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I have several bash scripts and one ruby script that I want to package up for easy syncronization between my computers. I want to have one .deb per script and a meta-package that depends on them all.

I've read (most of) the Debian New Maintainers Guide, plus whatever else I could find by searching Google and the forums and wiki. Everything I've found deals with making typical binary packages, but I can't find any guidance for how I could provide simple installation instructions for my scripts. All they need to do is copy the file to /usr/bin and chmod +x.

I suppose I could create a Makefile of some sort, but that seems to me to be the incorrect way to approach this (since not every program uses make, there must be a more general way to instruct APT). Besides, I'd have to read up on how to create Makefiles, which seems like a waste of time given that it's not the best way to do what I'm trying to do, anyway.

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

RAOF
November 23rd, 2006, 06:05 AM
It seems that dh_install is what you want to be looking at. In particular, you could have a debian/rules file that runs "dh_install script /usr/bin", I think.

You could check out the mplayer-skins package. That's an example of a data-only package.

jpkotta
November 23rd, 2006, 06:07 AM
Why not make an installer script? Yes, .debs are more powerful and they have the advantage of using the package management system, but it seems like overkill for such a simple task. And installer scripts will work for any distro.

Put all the scripts in a directory. Then add installer.sh to the directory:

#!/bin/bash

this_script=$0
cd `dirname $this_script`

for i in * ; do
if [[ ! x"$i" = x`basename $this_script` ]] ; then
cp -v $i /usr/bin
chmod 555 /usr/bin/$i
chown root:root /usr/bin/$i
fi
done

Then make installer.sh executable and run it as root. Put it in a zip file or tarball and move it to all of your machines.

mssever
November 23rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
@jpkotta, The reason I'm trying to make debs is so that I can put then in a repository and have them auto-updated. AFAIK I can't do that with a simple installer script.

@RAOF, Thanks for the tip! I'm able to generate a source package now, but I keep getting the following errors in pbuilder:
<snip>
debian/rules build
mkdir -p debian/tmp/usr/local/bin debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/shred-recursive
cp shred-recursive debian/tmp/usr/local/bin
cp debian/copyright debian/changelog debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/shred-recursive
chmod 755 debian/tmp/usr/local/bin/shred-recursive
fakeroot debian/rules binary
mkdir -p debian/tmp/usr/local/bin debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/shred-recursive
cp shred-recursive debian/tmp/usr/local/bin
cp debian/copyright debian/changelog debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/shred-recursive
chmod 755 debian/tmp/usr/local/bin/shred-recursive
#dh_install --autodest
dh_install shred-recursive /usr/local/bin
dpkg-genchanges
dpkg-genchanges: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (1234)
dpkg-architecture: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (1234)
dpkg-parsechangelog: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (1234)
debian: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (1234)
dpkg-genchanges: failure: cannot read files list file: No such file or directory
pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package
W: no hooks of type C found -- ignoring
-> Aborting with an error
<snip>Here's my debian/rules file (I'm mostly guessing as to the content here, since there seems to be a dearth of documentation):

#!/usr/bin/make -f

package = shred-recursive
docdir = debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/$(package)
instdir = debian/tmp/usr/local/bin

build:
mkdir -p $(instdir) $(docdir)
cp $(package) $(instdir)
cp debian/copyright debian/changelog $(docdir)
chmod 755 $(instdir)/$(package)
clean:
dh_clean

#binary-indep: build install
binary: build install

install:
#dh_install --autodest
dh_install $(package) /usr/local/binI tried it first with dh_install --autodest, then changed it to the second version after re-reading your post. It didn't seem to make any difference.

Why can't I build this? The dpkg errors are really opaque to me.

mssever
November 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM
bump

RAOF
November 30th, 2006, 02:56 AM
The error's opaque to me, too. Have you checked out the mplayer-skins source yet, though? That does almost exactly what you want to do, and works :).

mssever
December 1st, 2006, 02:37 AM
The error's opaque to me, too. Have you checked out the mplayer-skins source yet, though? That does almost exactly what you want to do, and works :).

Before when I looked at that package, I couldn't figure it out. I guess I've learned a bit since then, though. I copied the debian/rules package from there and got a working deb.

Now, I want to set up a local repository. I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be using falcon for this--including you. However, I can't find falcon anywhere. It isn't in any repository I have, and I can't find it via Google. The Launchpad project page has nowhere to download the package from, as far as I can tell, amd the author's website is down. Where can I find it? Or, is there a better way to run a local repo?

RAOF
December 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM
I really like falcon. It works, is simple, and featureful.

# Falcon is toooooo cool
deb http://mirror.ubuntulinux.nl edgy-seveas extras
deb-src http://mirror.ubuntulinux.nl edgy-seveas extras

Is where I get my falcon from.

mssever
December 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
I really like falcon. It works, is simple, and featureful.

# Falcon is toooooo cool
deb http://mirror.ubuntulinux.nl edgy-seveas extras
deb-src http://mirror.ubuntulinux.nl edgy-seveas extras
Is where I get my falcon from.

Thanks! Falcon is up and running now. Project finished.