PDA

View Full Version : the technical educational system in your reigon/country?

Somenoob
November 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Here they only teach C#, and nothing even remotely similar to cross-platform languages. They really assume that everyone uses Windows. Luckily books and online docs exist.

mips
November 20th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Here they only teach C#

Where is 'here' ?

What wrong with C and it's derivitives ? I'm no programmer but as far as i understand it's a pretty good base.

Somenoob
November 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Where is 'here' ?

What wrong with C and it's derivitives ? I'm no programmer but as far as i understand it's a pretty good base.

It is developed by Microsoft and only runs under Microsoft's Windows.

Henry Rayker
November 20th, 2006, 09:21 PM
It all depends. In high school, I learned C++; they moved to Java after I left. At the university, a lot of C and some assembly. However, I know there are courses here that teach just about any programming language you could ask for; I just don't have room in my schedule =\

pichalsi
November 20th, 2006, 09:32 PM
im on the university but only in first year, but we have basic unix, C and later assembly for sure

IYY
November 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM
It's not really standardized in Canada, or even Toronto, but here's what my school taught:

In grade 9, just a course on using Microsoft products like Office and Access.

In grade 10, Visual Basic for computer science.

In grade 11-12, Java for computer science, Turing for computer engineering.

The universities/colleges here also aren't all the same. Mine is more Unix-oriented, but others, like University of Waterloo, are Microsoft training centers (C#, .NET).

At York University (my school):

In first year, Java.

In second year, C, shell scripting, MIPS assembly and verilog. There is a short optional C# course.

In third year, Lisp, Prolog, Java, Eiffel (](*,)) and more C.

In fourth year, mostly C and Java.

mips
November 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I'm glad to see they are still teaching assembly.

kuja
November 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
In the US it seems to be about as consistent as mud. I moved several times while I was in middle/high school and the setup is different everywhere. VB, Java, or C++ seem to be the favorites out of what I saw. Outside of the high school things are far less consistent.

garba
November 20th, 2006, 11:32 PM
usually c and basic OS stuff (the unix way thanks god), when i took the course in "computer science basics" (or whatever "fondamenti di informatica" should be translated into, dunno sorry) at the politecnico that's all it was about, but that was just a complementary course in my curriculum

arvster
November 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Well, I am in Riga Technical University in Latvia where I am studying Electronics Engineering in my first year and right now here they teach C++. We have thin-clients with Linux in computer lab, but the programming is actually done on a Solaris server. I don't really know what the Computer Science students learn, but I guess it is not really consistent everywhere here.