PDA

View Full Version : PS3 running Fedora Core 5 Video

Brynster
November 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11/20/linux_ps3_offered_on_ebay/

Intrigued I am?

earobinson
November 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM
lol geeks tend to do that, any new device now adays seems to be hackable to run linux.... linux on the zune?

Dual Cortex
November 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
It's not really a 'hack'.
Anyone who buys a PS3 and pays more for because it already has Linux pre-installed because 'installing it is a hassle' will not like Linux much.

ago
November 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Hmm there are good news and bad news

Let's look at how you get to the new OS. You open the PS3 menu and then:

1) Systen Settings > Default System > Other OS
2) System Update > Select Image

Good news:

* The menu guides you to setting up a new OS, so no fear from the user

* No need to repartition (or so it seems)

* It looks like you can use a simple image file, so deployment should be easy (download it with the built in browser). Probably it will be possible to simply download the image file and save it to the HD without using any ISO.

Bad news:

* Correct it if I am wrong, but it seems there is no way to get a real dual-boot menu, it looks to me like every time you want to boot into the new OS you have to follow the procedure above.

* The menu steps are not very intuitive. DefaultSystem=OtherOS? SystemUpdate? It would have been far better to have a simple menu option: "start other OS" with a list of available images (and optionally be able to add a new one to the list). It looks like they mixed the PS3 firmware update and the multiboot-menu in the same interface.

* The screen resolution is very low, is this because the PS3 cannot handle a desktop at full resolution?

* He did not show any heavy app other than the file browser to gauge how snappy the system is. Which is also not encouraging.

ago
November 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM

BarfBag
November 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM
That's pretty awesome! I'm not sure what to think of the PS3. Hardware wise, it sounds amazing. The games LOOK amazing. It's just the controller. I tried to play it (at my local GameStop) and couldn't stand it. It's identical to the PS2 controller, except it has these really awkward triggers on top that are extremely uncomfortable. Feels very unnatural.