PDA

View Full Version : I want to get into web development, suggest me a language.

slimdog360
November 20th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Ive been wanting to do this for a while, get into web development, but Ive been really busy with work and Uni. Well now that Uni is over for another year I want to learn.

I can already program in java, c and visual basic (though Im not a huge fan of visual basic). I suppose c in this situation would be useless as Im more of a embedded programmer in that area.

So hows about it, can anyone suggest me a new programming language for developing web pages etc. I don't mind learning something completely new if thats of any concern.

thanks.

kuja
November 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Well, assuming you already know (X)HTML, and probably CSS. I suggest you look into PHP as it is easy to pick up, flexible, and widely supported.

slimdog360
November 20th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I used to be alright at html but havent used it in a while, probably about 3 or 4 years. I suppose it would only take a couple of days to get back inot the swing of things. Ive looked at CSS but never done any, but from the looks of it it wouldnt be too hard to pick up.

I'll certainly look into PHP.

calvinpriest
November 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
The other two usual suspects are Ruby on Rails and Python (with either Zope, Django or Turbogears).