PDA

View Full Version : Google Ad muscle

tebibyte
November 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Coming soon is an opportunity that we can use to seize the OS market. Users may be frustrated with the ultra high price of windows vista and the fact that they can't use their old computers to run it. Unfortunately we don't have the financial capabilities to launch an attack to do it. Google however has tons of extra cash on hand that they have to spend. Now while the whole "Goobuntu" thing might be a little extreme, we could cut a deal with Google to advertise a special version of Ubuntu. The version would bundle the Google toolbar in firefox, as well as google tools like picasa. Google can make a profit, while we get a bigger user base.

We have a huge opportunity coming up and it would be foolish not to jump on it. We can exploit consumers aggravation over shelling out a thousand bucks for vista, and a new computer to run it on. We need to launch a massive advertising campaign with google's support.
:D

We must strike now!:D

aysiu
November 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Coming soon is an opportunity that we can use to seize the OS market. Users may be frustrated with the ultra high price of windows vista and the fact that they can't use their old computers to run it. By "[u]sers," you mean power users, right?

Most Windows users have no idea what Vista is and have no reason or impulse to upgrade to it. They will continue to use XP (or 2000 or 98) until their computer gets "too old," and then will just buy a new computer that has Vista preloaded on it.

dvarsam
November 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hello!

I voted for "That is a terrible idea".

I like my Ubuntu like everybody, so please let me explain:

Coming soon is an opportunity that we can use to seize the OS market.

In my opinion, it is still very early for that.

Hopefully, we might be able to do that after the "Feisty Fawn" coming release in April.

Users may be frustrated with the ultra high price of windows vista and the fact that they can't use their old computers to run it.

This idea seems ok, but lets try not to get too extreme on this...

...Otherwise the whole aim of Ubuntu will be to be able to run it on a Pentium 66MHz processor with 8Mb of Memory...

So, in the end, its going to become a crappy OS, won't it?

Unfortunately we don't have the financial capabilities to launch an attack to do it. Google however has tons of extra cash on hand that they have to spend.

Ok. Since Google has so much cash, why don't they help improve some functionalities in the coming "Feisty Fawn" release?

Why should they spend their money on advertising?

Aren't we here for that purpose?

Give me a good OS & I will promote it as hell...!!!

Maybe Google could help fund the "easy codecs install" package.

Or, maybe Google could help fund the creation of better "hardware drivers" for printers/scanners/usb cameras.

Besides, Google is already helping the community with the "summer of code" projects.

In my opinion, now is the time to improve the following:

1. easy networking
2. easy codec installation
3. better & more hardware drivers (printers, scanners, usb cameras)
4. DVD Backup possibility with shrinking capabilities.
5. Create an Internet Database with what Hardware is "100%" functional in Ubuntu & how to setup those hardware - We desperately need something like this!
6. there is so much more...

Now while the whole "Goobuntu" thing might be a little extreme, we could cut a deal with Google to advertise a special version of Ubuntu.

Don't we already have too many special versions?

1. Ubuntu
2. Kubuntu
3. Edubuntu
4. Xubuntu
5. For Christians
6. ... who knows what else...?

Why don't we create 100 more, so that in the end we advance our Ubuntu in "turtle" speed?

The version would bundle the Google toolbar in firefox, as well as google tools like picasa. Google can make a profit, while we get a bigger user base.

I do NOT like to be "forced" to install Google Search or Picasa or whatever else...

I just like to install what is needed & whatever additional, to install on an individual basis.

We have a huge opportunity coming up and it would be foolish not to jump on it. We can exploit consumers aggravation over shelling out a thousand bucks for vista, and a new computer to run it on.

Lets us first make an OS as good enough as Windows & then lets try to get people to adopt Ubuntu Linux.

I believe that we will be there in "Edgy+2" more releases...

And this might be considered as a "very" optimistic statement.

We need to launch a massive advertising campaign with google's support.

We must strike now!

IF you want me to advertise Ubuntu in all my friends, first fix the "easy codecs install", "networking" & "hardware drivers", otherwise:

ALL my friends will be blaming ME for suggesting to them to adopt an OS that is "truly" NON-functional to their Hardware!

And I don't want to take a "Full" Blame/Responsibility for suggesting something that is NOT fully functional...!!!

Thanks.

aysiu
November 20th, 2006, 12:08 AM
This gives you a sense of what's supported (100% and otherwise):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

If you have anything to add, please do--it's a Wiki, after all.

By the way, easy networking and codec installation are available in other distros. In fact, some distros don't need you to install the codecs at all--they're there out of the box (Blag, Mepis, Linspire, Linux Mint).

dvarsam
November 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM

I have to find my post where I responded in the past for the internet address you are providing above.

I will give you an example:

If you click on he link above & select

"HardwareSupportComponentsMultimediaWebCameras"

You will find that the "Make/Model" lines # 3-5 are one & the same!

Line 3: Logitech Quickcam Express
Line 4: Logitech Quickcam Express
Line 5: Logitech Quickcam Express

Since there are NO pictures on the specific models listed in there, can you please tell me what approach to follow, to setup/install such a product?

If you have anything to add, please do--it's a Wiki, after all.

I have not tried that...
At least this sounds interesting!
Maybe I will!

By the way, easy networking & codec installation are available in other distros. In fact, some distros don't need you to install the codecs at all--they're there out of the box (Blag, Mepis, Linspire, Linux Mint).

To be honest, I like my Ubuntu...

Basically, I want a Linux OS that is staying with the:

1. Package Type ".deb" (I do NOT like Distros going the ".rpm" way...)
2. Desktop Type "Ubuntu" (NOT Kubuntu-Desktop or Suse-Desktop please)

After removing all the above, I wonder what is left to choose from...?

Hopefully, I will try-out some that meet those 2 requirements of mine...

Do you know which ones really do?

Thanks.

aysiu
November 20th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I have not tried that...
At least this sounds interesting!
Maybe I will! I think you should. Some projects, like random tutorials, can be one-person deals, but a list of hardware compatibility is useful only if it's community-contributed, and you're part of that community. Go for it!

To be honest, I like my Ubuntu...

Basically, I want a Linux OS that is staying with the:

1. Package Type ".deb" (I do NOT like Distros going the ".rpm" way...)
2. Desktop Type "Ubuntu" (NOT Kubuntu-Desktop or Suse-Desktop please)

After removing all the above, I wonder what is left to choose from...?

Hopefully, I will try-out some that meet those 2 requirements of mine...

Do you know which ones really do?

Thanks. Linux Mint is the newest thing. It's basically Ubuntu (yes, Gnome, not KDE) with all the popular codecs already installed.

dvarsam
November 20th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Dear "Aysiu",

To further solve this matter:

Please visit this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=68342&page=2

And look on page 2, on what I have written regarding this matter.

Thanks.

P.S.> Please reply with what you think about it...

dvarsam
November 20th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I think you should. Some projects, like random tutorials, can be one-person deals, but a list of hardware compatibility is useful only if it's community-contributed, and you're part of that community. Go for it!

I will!!!
But I need time for it...

Linux Mint is the newest thing. It's basically Ubuntu (yes, Gnome, not KDE) with all the popular codecs already installed.

I think I need to give "Linux Mint" a try too!

However, if you have noticed there is a project for the coming "Feisty Fawn" for a package "easy codecs install"!
Hopefully the codecs issue is to be solved shortly...

Please visit the following page to see whats coming up for "Feisty Fawn":

https://launchpad.net/sprints/uds-mtv/+specs

At the same time, let me inform you of some great news:

1. The idea you had about "Forum Ambassadors" has been forwarded to the "Mountain View Summit". Your name has been mentioned too! (You fame is growing up fast... :) ).

2. Another great thing about the "Mountain View Summit", is "Forum Governance". This has been mentioned too!

Please read those 2 above, so that you are informed with the latest news.

I am very happy for you & the fact that this Forum is playing an increasingly important role in the software development processes!

Lets keep those 2 issues/threads "active"...

Thanks.

P.S.> I would be happy to join the Forums Ambassadors Team - I hope that you would change your view & join too! You seem to have great knowledge in Ubuntu & you would be a great "asset" for the Community if you could join this team!