PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Canonical.

abhaysahai
November 19th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Hi,
Last week I got my CD packs of 6.06. Now I have a Thinkpad with Edgy installed using instlux ( Yes!! just a few manual changes and we can simply install Edgy with instlux). At home I have Kubuntu Dapper and am very happy with this.
I showed this to my friends and they liked the overall setup but were skeptical about installing an OS about which they have little knowledge.
The ISO burned on CD, did little to help.
They say that I am a Software Developer so it is easy for me to setup and fix Linux, but not for them.
One of my friend had SUSE 9.1 ( boxed version) and other had Red Hat 6.2. Though a good os, but now it is outdated. He said that he used it as he bought it and the CDs came in a nice package with manuals. Now I do not think that I am ever going to buy a Linux OS for desktop.
I thought that a CD labeled with Company name might help and used shipit facility of Ubuntu.

I got the CDs and went to them. On seeing the "Authentic" CD from a Company their confidence was good. Then I booted the live CD and asked them to experiment as this will not effect their hard disk.
Luckily all the hardware got detected on my friends desktop ( Dell ) even we were able to configure the attached printer.
They tried and liked it.
Then I took them to ubuntu forums and ubuntuguide.
The result is that they think that I just used to brag saying that I use Linux, it is so easy that even they can use it.

5 of my friends immediately agreed to install it. I gave one demo and the next day all said that they were successful in installing it.
The liked the fact that they can surf web while installing.

OK I agree that today only 3 are primarily booting to Linux, the other two find Windows more comfortable. They still think that as they have paid for Windows XP so it should be better than Free Ubuntu.
There are a little flaws on part of Ubuntu too
1) Some sites like HSBC banking sites do not open on firefox ( even with IE tab).
2) The driver for wireless internet card from Reliance India is not there ( to my knowledge). Even if the driver is there, the software dialer is no where to be found.
3) The games are simply for windows.
4) "MSWord 2003" ( Openoffice Word 2.0) is much better in Windows.

Despite that, I am happy that I was able to convert 3 of my friends to Ubuntu. Thanks Canonical for the CDs.

Regards,
Abhay

Sunnz
November 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM
1) Some sites like HSBC banking sites do not open on firefox ( even with IE tab).
There is a report broken site thing in Firefox.

DC@DR
November 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Happy Ubuntu using. Cheers :)

lolocaust
November 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Are you in the UK? HSBC works fine for me in Firefox, and even in Opera.

abhaysahai
November 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Are you in the UK? HSBC works fine for me in Firefox, and even in Opera.

I am in India and using this web address
http://hsbc.co.in/in/
The site opens ok, but when I try to login I get this error
"
To access internet banking, please use:
Internet Explorer version 5.0 or above; or
Netscape Communicator version 4.72 or above (version 6.x currently not supported with the exception of 6.2.1)
"

Regards,
Abhay

DoctorMO
November 20th, 2006, 12:17 PM
sounds like you need to complain, hsbc.co.uk works for me.

Sunnz
November 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I am in India and using this web address
http://hsbc.co.in/in/
The site opens ok, but when I try to login I get this error
"
To access internet banking, please use:
Internet Explorer version 5.0 or above; or
Netscape Communicator version 4.72 or above (version 6.x currently not supported with the exception of 6.2.1)
"

Regards,
Abhay
Try get an agent switcher extension for Firefox, so that site thinks that you are using IE. It usually does the trick.

bonzini
November 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Back to the title of the thread:

Thanks, Canonical! And everyone else who contributes to this great effort.

I'm probably a little older than most of you on this forum. My very first "dream computer" was a PDP-11/44 running Unix System 6. A few of you who are sort-of older will think I'm crazed with a comment about "Unix System 6" but if you ask around you might find it true.

Ubuntu has been my second "shock" in computers. The first was when I bought my first IBM PC with two floppies and 128Kb of memory, and started writing code in Microsoft Pascal. I remember being stunned when M$ implemented directories in DOS 2.0 and thinking "wow. this is actually a real, useful, computer now".

I have that same kind of feeling with my Toshiba laptop running Ubuntu. I've used Sun workstations since 1987, but I don't miss them for a moment in this environment.

Wonderful. Thanks again, Canonical and Ubuntu Community.

Sunnz
November 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Wow, have you still got your PDP-11/44 in the store room or something?

bonzini
November 24th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Wow, have you still got your PDP-11/44 in the store room or something?

Naw, wish I did. The 128Kb address space (64kb for data, 64kb for code) - that was REALLY SOMETHING!