PDA

View Full Version : shipit idea

jonathan21
November 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM
why not send some ads with cds when they go out to help pay costs then its not up to one company.and people who don't want the ads can buy the cds from amazon or something.for aot of people it would take along time to download a cd.and this idea would help bring shipit.pleae post is it a good idea or not and if it is where do i send this suggestion.

towsonu2003
November 19th, 2006, 05:13 AM
I guess it would go to: https://features.launchpad.net/products/shipit/+addspec because it's a new feature for shipit. In the meantime, I don't know where they can stick in the ads (if they agree to). The CD cover is already crammed with text...

jonathan21
November 19th, 2006, 05:50 AM
is it a good idea

towsonu2003
November 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM
is it a good idea?

sure, why not. they would have two problems:
1. Will they be conflicting with their own "freedom of software" philosophy? Here's a metaphor from Washington: as your senator gets more money from an interest group, s/he'll be more attached to that interest group's influence...
2. Who will they get the ads from? Will they be able to "choose"? Example: If they get ads from Novell, they'll be in serious trouble... Where is the line drawn?

Other then these, I don't see any problems with having ads in shipit CDs. It's a good idea to self-sponsor.

adam.tropics
November 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Too lazy to search, but does anyone know of stats as to just how much Shipit costs to operate?

towsonu2003
November 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Too lazy to search, but does anyone know of stats as to just how much Shipit costs to operate?

apparently it's not cheap: http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-bd@lists.ubuntu.com/msg00026.html

Note: I don't know who John Russell is.

adam.tropics
November 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks for that. Then as an alternative to advertising, and at the risk of being flamed a tad, what if the countries eligble for shipit were reduced to 'developing' countries. Then outside of that, free distribution was left to the locale teams' initiative....just a thought. Obviously keeping the free downloads.

kuja
November 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
why not send some ads with cds when they go out to help pay costs then its not up to one company.and people who don't want the ads can buy the cds from amazon or something.for aot of people it would take along time to download a cd.and this idea would help bring shipit.pleae post is it a good idea or not and if it is where do i send this suggestion.
Funny thought, Amazon always throws a few ads in the box too.

Thanks for that. Then as an alternative to advertising, and at the risk of being flamed a tad, what if the countries eligble for shipit were reduced to 'developing' countries. Then outside of that, free distribution was left to the locale teams' initiative....just a thought. Obviously keeping the free downloads. Nice idea, though, not every place has a locale team.

chaosgeisterchen
November 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I would really like to see ShipIt continuing and I do not care a bit about advertisments which could 'taint' the looks of the CD case.