PDA

View Full Version : Alternative desktop Wikis to Tomboy...

Sslaxx
November 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I've purged Tomboy (and Mono) from my machine. I am unhappy at the thought of using anything tainted by Novell.

Of course, now I need to find an alternative desktop Wiki program. Last time I tried Zim it had issues with the Places menu on GNOME, so I'm leery of running it again. I used to use Newton, but that seems abandoned. Are there any others worth using out there?

ComplexNumber
November 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM
personally, i think thats a bit extreme. i'm going to continue using tomboy and other mono applications because i want to use what gets the job done.

try notecase or notemeister. put "wiki" into search facility here: http://gnomefiles.org

23meg
November 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Check out Instiki.

Sslaxx
November 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
personally, i think thats a bit extreme. i'm going to continue using tomboy and other mono applications because i want to use what gets the job done.

try notecase or notemeister or newton.

Newton doesn't like something - looks like GTK. It keeps on crashing.

bhuot
November 19th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Try Moin Moin - it is in python and will work on the desktop on Linux, Mac, and Windows as well as the web. It is GPL too.

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/

GStubbs43
November 19th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Theres also Wixi and Tagore.

Try Moin Moin - it is in python and will work on the desktop on Linux, Mac, and Windows as well as the web. It is GPL too.
That's an actual "wiki" program for websites, I think the OP is asking for something like a "sticky note" program. ;)

23meg
November 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Last time I tried Zim it had issues with the Places menu on GNOME, What exactly were those issues?

ComplexNumber
November 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
What exactly were those issues?
i would bet that it was due to unfulfilled python dependencies.

Sslaxx
November 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM
What exactly were those issues?
Well, the 'Computer' item from the 'Places' menu would call up Zim instead for some reason...

23meg
November 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think that was a zim issue. I have zim installed on Edgy and I don't have it.

Patrick K.
November 19th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I use Moin Moin. It seems to work pretty well for me.

Bloodfen Razormaw
November 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM
If you insist on changing applications, Basket is the killer Linux note taking application. Tomboy is a toy in comparison.

But since Tomboy obviously works for you, I suggest the following actions:
1) Reinstall Mono.
2) Reinstall Tomboy.
3) Commit no more knee-jerk reactions to business deals you have not seen and don't understand based on the BS spouted by idiots on Slashdot, who also have not seen and don't understand it.

odin1965
May 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I have installed MoinMoin as stand alone server as documented in the wiki and everything is working fine. I can access it from the computer that it is installed on at http://localhost:8000.

Now, how do i make it accessible to the rest of the computers on our local network?