PDA

View Full Version : Emulation: MAME, Amiga, SNES and others ?

mips
November 18th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I do not want to know about ROMs/GAMEs, please do NOT post any rom/game related material or where/how to find them. I do not want the thread closed as discussions of this nature might be illegal in nature and will violate forum rules !

What do you use for emulation when it comes to Amiga, MAME, SNES, Playstation ?

Any others you could recommend ?

Sluipvoet
November 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I use
Zsnes(Snes)
Gens(Genesis/MegaDrive)
VBA(vba)

TheRingmaster
November 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
where do you get games for these emulators?

Rhapsody
November 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM
For a Linux system, I think you'd get pretty far on SDLMAME, Mednafen, Snes9x, and Gens.

I should warn you that it seems there's something wrong (http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=8&Number=24018&Searchpage=1&Main=2631&Words=Ubuntu&topic=0&Search=true#Post24018) with Ubuntu that causes it to compile busted SDLMAME binaries. That was in Dapper Drake, so I've no idea how Edgy Eft fairs (since I haven't installed it yet).

mips
November 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Did you not read the bold part in red ? Do not ask about games/roms or where to find them as you are gonna get my thread closed.

mips
November 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM
For a Linux system, I think you'd get pretty far on SDLMAME, Mednafen, Snes9x, and Gens.

I should warn you that it seems there's something wrong (http://www.bannister.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=8&Number=24018&Searchpage=1&Main=2631&Words=Ubuntu&topic=0&Search=true#Post24018) with Ubuntu that causes it to compile busted SDLMAME binaries. That was in Dapper Drake, so I've no idea how Edgy Eft fairs (since I haven't installed it yet).

I'm still using Dapper so i'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.

mips
November 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
What is Kxmame(xmame) like ?

maagimies
November 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM
For Snes emulation, I use Zsnes.
For Playstation emulation, I switch between Epsxe and Pcsx, I prefer Pcsx because it's open-source, but sometimes the game works only in Epsxe. Although a great pluspoint of Pcsx is that it uses it own emulated bios instead of the original one that Epsxe uses, you can play original Ps games with your computer without any legal problems.

InsomniacUK
November 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Gens doesn't work well on Linux in my experience. There is no better Genesis emulator for Windows, but on Linux, it just isn't the same. For instance, I have never got it to run full-screen at full-speed, and the sound emulation doesn't seem to be a patch on the Windows version.

It's a shame, because it's a great emulator.

As for Amiga emulation, the best emulator I have found is UAE, but again, it just can't compete with the Windows version.

To be honest, i'd stick with Windows for emulation for now.

TheRingmaster
November 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Did you not read the bold part in red ? Do not ask about games/roms or where to find them as you are gonna get my thread closed.
sorry I didn't know that rom meant games.

PatrickMay16
November 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Whoa man!!! I tell you.

I use these emulators:

For SNES: Zsnes (native linux), and Snes9x Windows version (running in wine. Works perfectly well with a bit of tweaking the configuration options)

For N64: Mupen64

For Megadrive: Gens (which I found on some RPM site.)

For Playstation: epsxe

mips
November 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Ok, I just tested zsnes and I like it, just have to figure out the controls :)

I'll have a look at the other a bit as I get time. Keep the suggestions flowing.

PatrickMay16
November 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Ok, I just tested zsnes and I like it, just have to figure out the controls :)

Just go to Config -> Input #1, and you can configure it there. It helps a lot if you have a USB gamepad... much nicer than using the keyboard.

mips
November 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Just go to Config -> Input #1, and you can configure it there. It helps a lot if you have a USB gamepad... much nicer than using the keyboard.

Thanks found that.

I have one of the older gamepads with the D-type connector that you pluging to your gameport/soundcard. I have port for it on my PC, would it be hard to get working ?

mips
November 18th, 2006, 09:51 PM
To be honest, i'd stick with Windows for emulation for now.

I have a windows partition for 'emergencies' but hate booting into it. the less I see of it the better. Sad if the linux versions can't compete with win.

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
is there a Playstation2 emulator for Linux ?

mips
November 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM

Yes, PCSX2. There is not much you can do with it at this stage though.

patrick295767
November 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by TheRingmaster View Post
where do you get games for these emulators? Did you not read the bold part in red ? Do not ask about games/roms or where to find them as you are gonna get my thread closed.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

patrick295767
November 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM

You can try: http://www.zophar.net/unix/psx2.html
early stages

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
mips :
"Yes, PCSX2. There is not much you can do with it at this stage though."

I read a few days ago that they have decided to stop the development on the Linux version for now...and may work on the 64-Linux version later. :(

and patrick - they refer to the same PCSX2 project, but it hasen't been updated in "your" site since 2004....it's pretty much dead :(

patrick295767
November 18th, 2006, 11:09 PM
I read a few days ago that they decided to stop the Linux version for now...and may will work on the 64-Linux version later. :(

Hi maxddark,

there is this for the momentm PSX1: http://terror.snm-hgkz.ch/gaming/linux/epsxe_howto/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=95835&highlight=epsxe

d3v1ant_0n3
November 18th, 2006, 11:10 PM
For my SNES needs I use ZSNES. Works great apart from some sound issues that I can't work out.

For GBA, I use VBA. which is wonderful. But always runs at 106% speed for me, for some odd reason.

I really should dig out a PSX emulator- I've felt the urge to play FF7 recently. What kind of graphics chipset are needed on Linux? I have all sorts of issues with this Intel 845

TheRingmaster
November 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM
is there an emulator for dreamcast?

InsomniacUK
November 19th, 2006, 01:39 AM

There are some, but I doubt they run any commercial games. Even if they could, you could only play copied games on them, since your CD and DVD drives wouldn't be able to read the Dreamcast discs.

weasel fierce
November 19th, 2006, 02:06 AM
UAE works rather well for Amiga games. I have no complaints, except I cant figure out how to "tie" the mouse to the emulator window.

darkhatter
November 19th, 2006, 02:14 AM

Chankast plays alot of commercial games too, but they need to be back up copies

http://www.chanka.org/

TheRingmaster
November 19th, 2006, 02:28 AM
plays alot of commercial games too, but they need to be back up copies
I don't understand your post, could you please restate it please.

InsomniacUK
November 19th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I don't understand your post, could you please restate it please.

He is saying that there is a Dreamcast emulator and it can play some commercial games, but they need to be copies. You cannot use the original discs, because they cannot be read by standard CD and DVD drives.

darkhatter
November 19th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I'm sorry everyone I forgot to post the name and Link, I edited my post.

Here's the link again:

Chankast
http://www.chanka.org/

(I'm a n00b)

srt4play
November 19th, 2006, 04:08 AM
xe is a very good emulator for genesis/megadrive and also does other systems. http://www.xe-emulator.com/

Also http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythGameEmulationSetup is a good page not only for setting up emulation in mythtv, but for general emulation info as well.

TheRingmaster
November 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
how about sega saturn emulators?

mips
November 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM
how about sega saturn emulators?

Have you used google before ?

Anyways, to answer this and future questions please see this site http://linuxemu.retrofaction.com/links.php

TheRingmaster
November 19th, 2006, 08:57 PM
why start a thread if you discourage people from posting in it.

I ask this questions so other people don't have to use google ( Isn't telling people to use google against the forum rules?)

Try to avoid acronyms and jargon when giving instructions. New, or "green" users may not be able to follow you, and many will not ask you for an explanation in order to avoid looking stupid. RTFM, "Go look on google" are two inappropriate responses to a question. If you don't know the answer or don't wish to help, please say nothing instead of brushing off someone's question.,Politely showing someone how you searched or obtained the answer to a question is acceptable, even encouraged.

mips
November 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM
why start a thread if you discourage people from posting in it.

I ask this questions so other people don't have to use google ( Isn't telling people to use google against the forum rules?)

Well, I do not mind people posting at all but it gets a bit annoying when someone keeps on asking , do you get x, do you get y, do you get z. Example, a simple search for Linux Dreamcast Emulation would have led to one of many emulation pages.

I already know what emulators exist (maybe not all of them) but I would like to know which ones are good, hence asking what others use. Figuring that if 10 people say zsnes then it is probably the better snes emulator out there.

If I broke the rules then click on that little red button with the X through it in my profile and report me to the staff please! Btw, I did answer your question.

TheRingmaster
November 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I was just trying to start a conversation about saturn emulators.

mips
November 19th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I was just trying to start a conversation about saturn emulators.

Ok, no problem.

grte
November 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Gens doesn't work well on Linux in my experience. There is no better Genesis emulator for Windows, but on Linux, it just isn't the same. For instance, I have never got it to run full-screen at full-speed, and the sound emulation doesn't seem to be a patch on the Windows version.

I've actually had the opposite experience. It runs perfectly for me.

TheRingmaster
November 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM
gen32 is also said to be pretty cool.

Gens32 Official Home Page (http://gens32.emubase.de/)

edit: where is gens in the ubuntu repositories

darkhatter
November 20th, 2006, 03:59 AM
whats everyone's favorite Super Nintendo game here? and is Zsnes in the repos, I hate compiling things in Ubuntu

Dual Cortex
November 20th, 2006, 04:03 AM
My favorite Super Nintendo game all time was Mario Kart.
Oh man the fun times I had playing with my dad and older brother.

TheRingmaster
November 20th, 2006, 04:39 AM
I need help.

what keys control the games in the mupen64 emulator?

TheRingmaster
November 20th, 2006, 04:39 AM
whats everyone's favorite Super Nintendo game here? and is Zsnes in the repos, I hate compiling things in Ubuntu
I love all the wrestling games such as wcw nitro.

mips
November 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
... and is Zsnes in the repos, I hate compiling things in Ubuntu

Yes, it's in multiverse repos.

PatrickMay16
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I need help.

what keys control the games in the mupen64 emulator?

Go to Options -> Configure, then click the plugins tab.
Change the input plugin to "blight's SDL plugin" and click configure. Now you may specify what keys control what buttons.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's a lot better if you have a game pad. (USB, that is; ones which use the gameport are impossible to get working, and not worth the effort)

TheRingmaster
November 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I love emulators! but are they legal?

mips
November 20th, 2006, 07:07 PM
could someone help me install XE emulator. here is what the readme file says.

Hmm, at which point do you get stuck ?

Alternatively start a new thread on how to compile packages as you are going off topic here & hijacking the thread.

TheRingmaster
November 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
yes I have started a new thread.

xe emulator - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1784093#post1784093)

grte
November 20th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I love emulators! but are they legal?

Yes, emulators are legal. It's ROMs that may or may not be, depending on the circumstances.

TheRingmaster
November 21st, 2006, 04:26 AM
Yes, emulators are legal. It's ROMs that may or may not be, depending on the circumstances.
thanks for clarifying that.

now lets get back to regular discussion.

megamaced
November 23rd, 2006, 09:27 PM

Oh really? You might want to see this thread then (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290008&highlight=gens) :)

Somenoob
November 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
ZSNES here

PatrickMay16
November 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Oh really? You might want to see this thread then (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290008&highlight=gens) :)

Excellent!
Thanks very much!

megamaced
November 25th, 2006, 04:07 PM
My emulators of choice are as follows:

Gens = MegaDrive, MegaCD & 32X
Easily the best Sega emu on any platform. Not all MegaCD and 32X games work though.

ZSNES = Super Nintendo
The sound crackles sometimes, but on the whole it's a great emu

VisualBoy Advance (backend) + VBAexpress (frontend) = GameBoy Advance
Excellent emu and 100% compatibility with games so far

XMAME (backend) + KXMAME (frontend) = Arcade
I've found KXMAME to be a little faster then GXMAME and not as flaky

PCSX = Playstation
I use PCSX instead of ePSXe because it has joypad support. The Windows version of ePSXe has joypad support so I am not sure why the Linux version doesn't.

Mupen64 = N64
Project64 is probably the best N64 emulator, but seen as it's not available for Linux, I guess we are stuck with Mupen. It's not a bad emu by any means, but it doesn't really impress me either

bionnaki
November 30th, 2006, 09:21 PM
so, I am looking for a NES emulator. All of the ones I've tried, I couldnt figure out how to configure my USB gamepad and how to get sound working.

I wish there was a NES emulator that was as easy and stable as ZSNES is for Super NES.

Any recommendations?

BoyOfDestiny
December 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
so, I am looking for a NES emulator. All of the ones I've tried, I couldnt figure out how to configure my USB gamepad and how to get sound working.

I wish there was a NES emulator that was as easy and stable as ZSNES is for Super NES.

Any recommendations?

Which did you try?

Anyway, I recommend mednafen. Runs more than nes though (pc engine, gb mono/color, gba, lynx, too)
http://mednafen.com/

To set up keys and gamepad for player1, just press F3. It will prompt you like press A, press B, etc. You can set up multiple devices, so you can use keyboard and/or gamepad. As for zsnes style features, it has rewind, save states, and a nice cheat system (although not as graphical as in zsnes)

As for other emulators I use (some in the repos, if not just google)

dosbox: for DOS and win16
QEMU: for testing out distros
mednafen: listing it again because it's great
advancemame: I like it, and it's frontend advancemenu (separate package)
scummvm, ok not really an emulator (an interpreter rather), but great way to run those old lucas art adventures.
vice: for c64
zsnes: for snes
pcsx-df: it's in edgy, nicer gtk interface for psx

For my console music needs
audacious: has built in nsf, gsf, spc, adlib, etc support
uade: (with an audacious plugin too) plays hundreds of amiga formats

It's been awhile since I've messed around with amiga emulation, haven't tried it yet, but looks good (E-UAE):
http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/

mips
December 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Been having fun with SNES so far, pretty impressive.

Bagboy23
December 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Catch 22 situation, If you talk about Emulators, then you almost certainly have to talk about ROMs and how you are obtaining them. People who want to use emulators should be told that they can use their purchased software for emulation as emulation will not work without the ROM, and for that this thread was made for Emulation but not ROMs. So please do not talk about where to obtain illegal ROMs as this thread is very interesting for Emulation and ROMs.

Bagboy23
December 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
^ That doesn't make sense, but we understand what you mean anyway.

mips
December 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM
^ That doesn't make sense, but we understand what you mean anyway.

I updated the warning message, if people don't get it now then sorry for them.

emuman
January 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
UAE works rather well for Amiga games. I have no complaints, except I cant figure out how to "tie" the mouse to the emulator window.

Try F12+G

bigtom2
July 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM

send me email what you would like an email adress.

gatopeich
August 5th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Offtopic, more or less...

Amazing! Only the second answer/post and it is already ignoring/not-reading the original question/intention, and asking the obvious (Google for it!). No wonder one gets to write one thousand posts like this.

Keep on! (the nonsense)

master5o1
August 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM

I want to know where to get HOMEBREW games...

grossaffe
August 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If you guys want to discuss this stuff, you should probably take it to the gaming and liesure forum where you'll get more responses from people who enjoy this kind of stuff.

with that said, I highly recommend the SNES9x GTK port.

Pogeymanz
August 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I use SNES9x-gtk because I'm on 64bit, and ZSNES is 32bit only.

I like using pSX for playstation emulation. Its goal is true emulation, whereas apps like epsxe aim at playing games BETTER than an actual Playstation.

pSX does not require any plugins. You install it, then play a game. Period. This is also 32bit only, but it's important enough to me that I have it in my 32bit chroot.

Lee83
November 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
im currently only using snes and nes emu on my linux distro,ive tried and tried to get MAME working but to no avail :( im just doin something wrong :( the snes emu runs a treat but dont have any other input when it comes to other emu's,i like the sound of a psx emu but is there a stable well run version for linux at the mo???

mocha
November 3rd, 2008, 12:23 AM
im currently only using snes and nes emu on my linux distro,ive tried and tried to get MAME working but to no avail :( im just doin something wrong :( the snes emu runs a treat but dont have any other input when it comes to other emu's,i like the sound of a psx emu but is there a stable well run version for linux at the mo???

I'm not sure what you are saying, but you should be able to install SDLMAME from the repository and then search for GMAMEUI or MAMEPGUI for some really nice frontends. For many SDL emulators if you are running PulseAudio the sound is messed up. For pSX you need to temporarily disable your .asoundrc file in your home directory. For SDLMAME you need to use the following .asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
type alsa
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type alsa
card 0
}

I haven't upgraded to Intrepid yet, so these comments are based on my experience with Hardy.