PDA

View Full Version : CPU useage less with Edgy?

Bartender
November 18th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Good day to everyone -
On my sig PC, Ubuntu Dapper was running about 7% CPU useage when idle. Installed Xubuntu Edgy; CPU at idle went down to about 2% and everything seemed more responsive. Whoo-hoo

Yesterday I wiped the drive and installed Ubuntu Edgy. CPU useage at idle hanging right around 2% - 3%!
I was determined to stick with Xubuntu, but now I'm wondering. If I had broadband at home, I'd download/install the desktop packages and compare the two. But 100+ MB on dial-up is out of the question ](*,)

Does Edgy use less resources than Dapper?

cantormath
November 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Good day to everyone -
On my sig PC, Ubuntu Dapper was running about 7% CPU useage when idle. Installed Xubuntu Edgy; CPU at idle went down to about 2% and everything seemed more responsive. Whoo-hoo

Yesterday I wiped the drive and installed Ubuntu Edgy. CPU useage at idle hanging right around 2% - 3%!
I was determined to stick with Xubuntu, but now I'm wondering. If I had broadband at home, I'd download/install the desktop packages and compare the two. But 100+ MB on dial-up is out of the question ](*,)

Does Edgy use less resources than Dapper?

Use dapper......edgy is not stable yet...

Ramses de Norre
November 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
They both use 0% when idle here..

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM
edgy has this BUG on my PC...when I use my blank screensaver the CPU usage goes to 100% for some reason.

cantormath
November 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
edgy has this BUG on my PC...when I use my blank screensaver the CPU usage goes to 100% for some reason.

you should use dapper.......::grin::

do you have the smp kernel installed?

Ramses de Norre
November 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
There isn't such a thing no more, smp is enabled by default in the generic kernel. (This was already done in dapper too.)

zgornel
November 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Use dapper......edgy is not stable yet...
Meaning that there will be changes to improve it's stability ? Being a non-LTS ... :-k

John T. Monkey
November 18th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I'm finding Edgy slightly faster than Dapper. Not as fast as Xubuntu Dapper, but I've just installed xfce this time and am switching between the two if I need to.

I'm very happy with Edgy. Wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone change from Dapper if they don't have to, as Dapper is fine, but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone who is thinking of it.

The only problem I have with Edgy is the computer doesn't turn itself off after it finishes shutting down. I'm not sure why or how to change it, I just have to hit the power button. It's a very, very minor inconvenience... not even a problem as such... everything else is fine :)

.t.
November 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I'm finding Edgy slightly faster than Dapper. Not as fast as Xubuntu Dapper, but I've just installed xfce this time and am switching between the two if I need to.

I'm very happy with Edgy. Wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone change from Dapper if they don't have to, as Dapper is fine, but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone who is thinking of it.

The only problem I have with Edgy is the computer doesn't turn itself off after it finishes shutting down. I'm not sure why or how to change it, I just have to hit the power button. It's a very, very minor inconvenience... not even a problem as such... everything else is fine :)
File a bug.

bhuot
November 19th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Ubuntu Edgy Eft appears to run much faster especially with OpenOffice.org and Firefox load times. I am using Edgy Eft Release Candidate. Apart from that, there was a bug with Flash (both 9 beta and 7) when installed that caused Firefox to crash when you ran into Flash on the web. There is a work around for that that works well. The only thing unstable about it is a kernel update that seems to render most USB devices unusable, so I recommend doing *no updates*. If you avoid doing updates, and fix the flash flaw, it runs very fast and stable.