PDA

View Full Version : how long have you been using GNU/Linux ?

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think that we are beginning to grow (the Linux community).
but I never really saw a prof of that (M$ FUD is still not a prof ;)).

if you have any prof of the Linux growth , please post it here.
(if you have numbers that would be great).

until then , vote !
how long have you been using GNU/Linux ? (does NOT have to be ubuntu Linux).

d3v1ant_0n3
November 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I've been using GNU/Linux since about June or July. Still a n00b:D

Using Ubuntu exclusively without desire to try another distro for a couple of months.

I know of at least 6 people who have switched in the last year- most of whom only use their windows boot as a games console.

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 05:13 PM
show them this poll !

plb
November 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
since 1999

coder_
November 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
About 2 years. Started out with SuSE 9.2 Pro, switched to Fedora Core for a more open-source-happy-people, switched to openSuSE 10 when came out, realized it sucked, and they were retardedly doing that deal with MS, so I came to Debian/Ubuntu.

daveisadork
November 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I have been using Linux for about 6 or 7 years. I originally started using Mandrake to run dedicated servers for LAN parties before experimenting with Caldera, Fedora, Gentoo, etc. It didn't become my primary OS until I started using Debian about 2.5 years ago and I made the jump to Ubuntu just before Hoary.

John T. Monkey
November 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Started out using SUSE 9.1. I played Fedora, Xandros, and Mandriva, but stuck with SUSE through to SUSE 10 (I really liked SUSE)

Then I tried Ubuntu Dapper and never looked back to SUSE again.

WalmartSniperLX
November 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Ive only used Ubuntu (Kubuntu and Xubuntu), Gentoo, and Puppy Linux. Puppy is a great liveCD os thats only 74mb, and loads completely on to a system's RAM making it a portable os. But at home I'm using Kubuntu 6.06. Gentoo was a pain to install so I never completed the installation. I also don't think im ready to compile my own packages ALL THE TIME :P

It's been several months now since I've been using Ubuntu/Linux and for now Im sticking with it :D

(I deleted WindowsXP several weeks ago) :mrgreen: 8)

skierkegaard
November 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Started with Breezy.

oblivion
November 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I don't know what alternative to vote for :-k
My first distribution was red hat 7.1 but it's not like i have been using linux all the time since then.

zcal
November 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Been using it since around April and May of this year. Breezy was the first distro that I stuck with, leading me into Dapper which I'm still using.

My use of Linux/GNU came out of boredom with Windows. I was looking for something to make computing as explorable and fun as I felt it had been back when I was a kid using older versions of Macintosh OS. Needless to say I've found just what I was looking for. :mrgreen: