PDA

View Full Version : Help me spread linux: I need a screenshot!

KhaaL
November 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Hey all

I'm writing an argumentation which I will publish at my university paper where I am trying to convince computer-illiterate people to switch to ubuntu. But like the saying goes: a picture is worth a thousand words. Since I'm 60 miles away from home and my laptop dosen't have ubuntu (the wireless card refused to work after breezy, grr) - I need someone to post or link me to a screenshot that shows how beautiful ubuntu desktop can be - preferably with beryl as a WM (The beryl project page dosen't have a screenshot section, strangely).

Thanks in advance!

xpod
November 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM
http://forum.beryl-project.org/

Look half way down the page;)

KhaaL
November 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Duh, now I feel silly :P

Thanks a lot!

xpod
November 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Dont bother feeling silly..

Im the worlds worst for it.

Good luck with your conversions

fuscia
November 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
i don't mean to rain on your parade, but won't people wonder why you don't have ubuntu on your laptop? why not just find some cheap usb wireless that will work with it?

KhaaL
November 18th, 2006, 02:41 PM
i don't mean to rain on your parade, but won't people wonder why you don't have ubuntu on your laptop? why not just find some cheap usb wireless that will work with it?

I did that for my desktop computer, even though I'm a student with limited funds to say the least. My wireless worked out of the box with breezy (but not anylonger), so it *does* work with linux. And me disliking trying to get things to work in linux (since i still know too little about it and im not fond of changing 10 config files and keep track of the changes) makes me hesitant to look further into the problem.

If there was a magical solution for my wifi problem, I would install ubuntu on my laptop in a wink of an eye.

fuscia
November 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
to be blunt about it, i'm not sure you're going to be too persuasive, in that light. why not wait until you can get things working on your laptop before trying to hook other users? if you were trying to persuade me to switch, my first question would be "how come you don't use it?" (btw, it would also be my last question.)

slimdog360
November 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM
or try another distro. There must be at least one which works for your laptop.

KhaaL
November 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM
to be blunt about it, i'm not sure you're going to be too persuasive, in that light. why not wait until you can get things working on your laptop before trying to hook other users? if you were trying to persuade me to switch, my first question would be "how come you don't use it?" (btw, it would also be my last question.)

Yes yes of course, otherwise I'd look like a politi.... sorry, i mean a hypocrite :-D I plan to be honest in this argumentation - I'm not going to convince die-hard gamers to switch since that'd be a mistake (I'm not saying that there isnt quality games for linux, just that most games use DirectX and that locks them in a MS world!).

or try another distro. There must be at least one which works for your laptop.

Indeed, I guess I should download a few iso's at my university, burn 'em and try them in hope to find the right one. Or even better, kickstart breezy and see what module it uses for my wifi ;)

fuscia
November 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yes yes of course, otherwise I'd look like a politi.... sorry, i mean a hypocrite :-D I plan to be honest in this argumentation - I'm not going to convince die-hard gamers to switch since that'd be a mistake.

just to be clear, i don't think you're going to convince anyone if you're not using it yourself.

Indeed, I guess I should download a few iso's at my university, burn 'em and try them in hope to find the right one. Or even better, kickstart breezy and see what module it uses for my wifi ;)

have you tried ndisgtk (gui for ndiswrapper)?

KhaaL
November 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I haven't tried ndisgtk yet, but like I said the device works in breezy. I tried to get help to get it working in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302845) but no luck. My argumentation will be emailed today, after that I can focus on giving my laptop some love.

abuakel
June 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Here ya go ;)

zmjjmz
June 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Sure is old around here.

K.Mandla
June 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Sure is old around here.
No kidding. Something wrong with the "Post new thread" button?

Closed for necromancy.