PDA

View Full Version : Where does Microsoft think Linux uses Microsoft Propety?

jincast90
November 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi I am interested in knowing in where Microsoft thinks Linux is breaking its property? I read around that Microsoft will not sue people who use SUSE but cannot guarantee for people using other Linux distros. Am I right? So where is Linux violating the the patents/laws/whatever it is?

InsomniacUK
November 18th, 2006, 11:19 AM
It isn't. Until Microsoft actually say what the alleged infringement is, I wouldn't even bother worrying about it.

ComplexNumber
November 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Hi I am interested in knowing in where Microsoft thinks Linux is breaking its property? I read around that Microsoft will not sue people who use SUSE but cannot guarantee for people using other Linux distros. Am I right? So where is Linux violating the the patents/laws/whatever it is?
InsomniacUK has said it quite succinctly. just forget about MS - for MS, the MS-Novell deal serves 2 purposes:
a) to attempt to give strength to their FUD train in the eyes of people who will take them at their word and for people who are considering making an investment in linux.
b) to attempt to weaken red hat(ie the linux leader in the enterprise).

in addition, MS wouldn't dare sue, so FUD has to be their method. this (http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1617) will give a little insight.

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I'm sorry but what is FUD ?

ComplexNumber
November 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry but what is FUD ?
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I would NEVER guess that ;)

shining
November 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I would NEVER guess that ;)

But google can :)

Polygon
November 18th, 2006, 04:26 PM
someone on this forum said it has something to do with fat32 long filenames and something about samba.... but honestly, EVERY os in the world supports fat32, if microsoft even tries to bring that up, all we have to say is "look at mac os x and all those other os'es that have support for fat32 with long filenames"

cantormath
November 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Microsoft is running scared with BS claims....
Check this out
Microsoft Anti Linux Campaign (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302215)

.t.
November 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM
It's funny when big things go crazy to protect themselves.

IYY
November 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Where does Microsoft think Linux uses Microsoft property? Why, right where they carefully placed it:

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/11/18/1838229.shtml

smoker
November 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
looks like the sabre rattling is getting a bit intense, it would be good to know if anything remotely linked to ms could be removed from linux entirely.

gnomeuser
November 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
There are my thoughts on the subject, if you have a clear infringement as they claim they do would you go to the press with a wild statement without facts or do you run to your legal department and tell them to release the hounds, then go to the legal department?

Since no formal complaint as been file I can only see that they went to the press for fudding purposes. There's no case just more SCO-like ********, the really sad bit isthat they can keep making these claims without any facts to back them and we can't even sue them for slanter given the situation.

mo79
November 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
They have a case...But only in as much as that one vacuum cleaner company can get stroppy because another vacuum cleaner has a product that has similar functions. Except...wait...for it.

Microsoft both sucks and blows.

Ok, I just exorcised my inner 14yr old.:-#

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
why we can't sue M$ ?
if we will say that M$ is stealing our code they would sue our Azz in no time.

IYY
November 18th, 2006, 10:08 PM
why we can't sue M$ ?
if we will say that M$ is stealing our code they would sue our Azz in no time.

When it comes to patents, especially software patents, it's nearly impossible to sue a large company and win. You might get a small settlement, but don't expect even that. The corporations always win.

AlphaMack
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 AM
PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! *Breather*
PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! PATENTS! *Sweaty armpits*

YES! *golf claps*

According to monkey boy, Linux owes MS for their 'innovation.'

Ballmer: Linux users owe Microsoft (http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;839593139;fp;2;fpid;1)

In comments confirming the open-source community's suspicions, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer Thursday declared his belief that the Linux operating system infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.

In a question-and-answer session after his keynote speech at the Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS) conference in Seattle, Ballmer said Microsoft was motivated to sign a deal with SUSE Linux distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."

PryGuy
November 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Why Micro$oft does that?! Have you heard the expression "The best method of defense is offense"