PDA

View Full Version : Novell cancels "get-the-facts" website

ago
November 17th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Novell website was popular for a page confuting the FUD of MS get-the-facts campaign. The page used to be www.novell.com/linux/truth/

You can still see the original thanks to archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20051223115601/www.novell.com/linux/truth/

You will notice that now the page has been redirected to a much more MS-friendly site... ...In the meantime MS has refreshed its get-the-facts BS...

No further comment.

ago
November 17th, 2006, 10:48 PM
ops I submitted to the wrong forum, can you pls move to the caffe' and remove this comment? Thx.

ComplexNumber
November 17th, 2006, 10:50 PM
In the meantime MS has refreshed its get-the-facts BS...
how has it changed? any links?

K.Mandla
November 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
(Moved at the request of the OPer.)

izalac
November 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
how has it changed? any links?

Site is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/facts/default.mspx

Read it only if you have a strong enough stomach to tolerate BS, although it's not as bad as it used to be, if I remember correctly.

ComplexNumber
November 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Site is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/facts/default.mspx

Read it only if you have a strong enough stomach to tolerate BS, although it's not as bad as it used to be, if I remember correctly.
thanks for the link :). i see what you mean about needing a strong stomach.

IYY
November 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I used to have some respect for Novel, and even suggest the free version to some friends, but that respect was lost when they made the deal with MS. SUSE is now nothing but Microsoft Linux. And they're not even trying to make it a good distribution, just kill it in the way that will provide the greatest blow to all Linux distributions.

I don't know, maybe I would have done the same thing for such a sum of money, but I still see it as a very dirty tactic.

.t.
November 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I used to respect them also. They put a lot of work into FOSS, especially all those usability testing projects.

MaximB
November 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
and all their patents that they sold to M$.

ago
November 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I used to respect them also. They put a lot of work into FOSS, especially all those usability testing projects.

Very simple, the CEO has changed, and so has the company strategy, the old Novell has little to do with the new one, a real shame...

Macintosh Sauce
November 19th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I think I am going to be sick... LOL

Polygon
November 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM
if you go to that webarchive version, you can still click the links and get the real pages that are still on novells webserver, i managed to get in and save all of the pages except for the first point becuase that just redirects.

stupid novell sold their souls to the devil.

kuja
November 19th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I suppose it's probably not terribly long until SuSE forks then eh? At least, I wouldn't be surprised to see it fork.

autoexec
November 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I suppose it's probably not terribly long until SuSE forks then eh? At least, I wouldn't be surprised to see it fork.

i thought that the reaction from everyone would have been much more serious.
no fork, no ddos attack, no legal action from other oss vendors

its been much more calm and measured that it could have been, which is a good thing in the end, ddos and lawsuits are bad press for us.

Gannin
November 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Suse fork at all.

MaximB
November 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
just tell me that OpenSUSE has nothing to do with it

autoexec
November 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM
is there much in suse worth harvesting for ubuntu? or is it just more of the same?

foxmulder881
November 19th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Very simple, the CEO has changed, and so has the company strategy, the old Novell has little to do with the new one, a real shame...

What happened to Novell I don't believe was their fault. It was simply the way the industry went at the time. I like the new Novell personally. They really do hang in there and persist. If anyone's going to seriously challenge Micro$oft, it's Novell.

H4rm0ny
November 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
What happened to Novell I don't believe was their fault. It was simply the way the industry went at the time. I like the new Novell personally. They really do hang in there and persist. If anyone's going to seriously challenge Micro$oft, it's Novell.

I can't get my head around what you mean by this. When you say "they" about a company, presumably you don't mean all the employees as these have limited say over the company's actions. But they are the ones that we can't blame. If by "they" you mean the directors and major shareholders, then I think you *can* blame them because they're responsible for appointing the new CEO and supporting his actions. As to persisting, I'm not sure it counts as persisting if you change into something else. Novell aren't going to challenge Microsoft. They've just signed a "favourite-bitch" clause with them. Challengers are IBM because their IBM, and Sun in regards to just freeing Java, which now gives us a very well developed and established alternative to Mono. At least that's how I see it. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

Lord Illidan
November 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I used to like Novell...now I stay away from them like the plague.

foxmulder881
November 20th, 2006, 01:36 AM
That aggreement with Microsoft is BS if you ask me. I can't see nothing coming of if.

23meg
November 20th, 2006, 01:50 AM
That aggreement with Microsoft is BS if you ask me. I can't see nothing coming of if.
Nothing coming for whom? Novell? Microsoft? The FOSS community?

bilange
November 20th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Well, somebody (not me) posted this on digg (http://www.digg.com/linux_unix/Novell_start_removing_Anti_MS_info_from_site_MS_in crease_Anti_Linux_drive).

Digg this so it makes the front page (and pray that RedHat doesnt sellout, too :-| )

I remember Novell in the days where they were asking people "what applications you want so bad in Linux", I remember the propaganda videos too... the good ol' days :/