PDA

View Full Version : Commercial software/hardware rant

hambone79
November 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I know most of you don't want to listen to me complain, but I need to get this off my chest and I'm sure some of you can relate to my story...

Let me start out by telling you a little about my background and what I do. I am a mechanical engineer who works for a large corporation that makes construction equipment. I spend most of my day sitting behind a CAD workstation, but I also spend a lot of time outside of the office resolving manufacturing problems.

My CAD workstation is a dual display HP xw4200 Workstation with a NVidia Quadro FX 1300 graphics board, 2GB of RAM, and a 3.4GHz P4 Processor running Windows XP Pro. It is a few years old, but it still has pretty decent specs. Anyway, the reason I'm writing this rant is because the quality of this machine and the software I have to use on it. We use PTC Pro/Engineer for all of our CAD work and for the most part it is a great program, but some times it really drives me nuts.

For the past week I have been working on creating models for a wiring harness installation and it hasn't been going well. First of all, the HP workstation is extremely slow for the specs it has. I have stripped it down to the bare minimum software (Pro/E, Outlook, AS/400 terminal emulator), updated to the latest recommend drivers, and it still feels like it runs slower than my old IBM G40 laptop at home. Second, Pro/E likes to randomly crash for no apparent reason which causes a cascading crash that crashes every other program I have running. At this point the only option I have is to kill the computer and reboot.

This doesn't sound like that big of a deal until you consider that it takes me about 10-15 minutes just to pull in the model that I am working on. When this happens 5-6 times a day, I'm losing over an hour in time just to get the computer back up and running, not to mention the work I lose when it crashes. In a given day I'd say I probably get 4 hours of actual work done. This really pisses me off, especially since I'm not the only person involved and we have had corporate IT, HP, and PTC take a look at the problem...still don't have a solution.

The main reason it pisses me off is that I have used Pro/E on a Solaris workstation and on a Linux workstation before and I NEVER had issues with the program crashing. This leads me to believe that the root cause of my crashes is Windows XP. I also believe that Windows XP is responsible for my workstation being so slow because I have booted it from a Knoppix CD before and it seems quite fast. It still amazes me why engineering sticks with Windows when it has had such a lousy reputation in the past 5-6 years (we used to run on Solaris workstations). It also amazes me that a high end workstation can't run for more than a few hours without being rebooted when you consider that our CAD fileserver (running Linux) has been running for over 90 days straight and my workstation at home has been running for at least that long.

I think it's time for corporate IT to let engineering decide what OS to run on the CAD workstations. They will argue that the Unix/Linux workstations are too expensive when compared to the Windows workstation, but what they don't take into consideration is that we lose thousands of dollars a day in lost productivity due to a lousy OS. I say it's better to spend a little more money up front than to **** away alot more money later on.

Well, I guess I will wrap up my rant and get out of here. If anyone else has a rant similar to mine, I'd really like to hear it.

taurus
November 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Yes, people should allow to choose what I want to use. When the ITS decided to replace my old Dell with a new Dell, I told them to just give it to me without anything on it because I didn't want to run any Windows XP. I told them I will put Linux on it and don't need any support from them since most of them don't even know what it is. I always leave that machine on and the only time I need to reboot is when the power takes out the machine. And when the ITS sends out memo about viruses, I'm just sitting there and lmao... :mrgreen:

mips
November 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Maybe you should use better sentence/paragraph structure, I'm not reading that as it's gonna make my eyes cross over and give me a headache.

DoctorMO
November 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
If we could get some really good CAD software into Linux, that what did it for the 3D modeling and rendering world; they all use Linux because it's where the best apps are.

What does it take to make a piece of CAD software?

hambone79
November 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Well, there would be a lot involved for the open source community to make a CAD package. I think several groups have started projects in the past, but they all fell flat after a year or so.

The main difference between CAD and 3D modeling is that CAD is parametric...models are driven my relations to other models, dimensions, etc. CAD also stores a lot of meta data about each part in the model file (part number, description, etc) which helps to populate the title block of a drawing when it is created.

Don't get me wrong here, I would love for there to be an open source CAD package, but I just don't think it will happen. It will take a very long time to catch up to programs like Pro/E, Unigraphics, Catia, or SolidWorks. I just wish that these companies would throw more weight behind Linux so that the customers could see how much better it works.

mips
November 17th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Have a look at some of the other cad threads. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=112116 is one of them.

See the link to the article on Audi only using the linux platform & refusing vendor lock in.

salariua
February 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
CAD was the only think keeping me in the Win$ side. I am trying to get rid of win$ for good. I have tried to explain a lot of people why I personally think Ubuntu is better then win$ with no much success.

My final word will be when I'll delete win$ (soon) and sticking on Ubuntu. I think I'll convince them for good then.

P.S.: I don't care about my company policy, and I am sure they'll appreciate the fact that I'll save them money all around.