PDA

View Full Version : Spread The Word - Freedom4ever!!!!

jbtito03
November 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I just read an article thru slashdot

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/108806.asp?source=rss

IT PI**** ME OFF!:evil:

So.. let us put the money where our mouth is:

http://www.pledgebank.com/MicrosoftVsLINUX

I love freedom and i am willing to defend it to the end!8-)

What about you?

SPREAD THE WORD!

v8YKxgHe
November 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I'm confused :confused:

Edit: Ahhh now you've put links in it makes sense

paul6
November 17th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I signed.

chaosgeisterchen
November 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Hmh.. don't they have a fully English site?

ahaslam
November 17th, 2006, 09:04 PM
From the first link:

"because only a customer who has Suse Linux actually has paid properly for the use of intellectual property from Microsoft".

Ummm, so identify this so called "intellectual property".

Where is the honesty? Why does MS not tell us what patent or patents they think are violated by Linux?

It'd be nice to know what we're dealing with ;)

chaosgeisterchen
November 17th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I do not know how you can harm intellectual property with open source software. Open source software does not contain any traces of intellectual property as it is 'collective property' - is belongs to everyone who wants to own it as well.

DoctorMO
November 18th, 2006, 02:10 AM
because patents don't care about who wrote the software only how it works.

It would be like if I patented the use of a certain kind of joke called 'satire'. I would be able to sue anyone who invented a satire joke because their abusing my 'ip' by inventing their own satire.

But you can't patent copyrighted works like books, recipes, music, film, media etc etc... the only exceptions are software and dna which can be copyrighted and patented because it's both written and contains easily defined methods (it does stuff). so companies want to have their cake and eat it.

I urge everyone to not support software patents (and drug/dna patents which use natural processes (how could you patent a natural method anyway))

None of this makes very much sense, but corrupt governments have been letting companies in the USA get away with such laws which the USA then spreds to other countries such as Canada and Australia.

az
November 18th, 2006, 03:27 AM
I just read an article thru slashdot

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/108806.asp?source=rss

IT PI**** ME OFF!:evil:

So.. let us put the money where our mouth is:

I don't really see a problem here. MS are on the opposite side of the IP fence (they thing software can be property, and free-libre software people think it is not something anyone can own) What do you expect them to say?

What is crystal clear is one thing: MS is basically making a patent play:

"Novell actually saw the business opportunity, because there's so many customers who say, 'Hey look, we don't want problems. We don't want any intellectual property problem or anything else. There's just a variety of workloads where we, today, feel like we want to run Linux. Please help us Microsoft and please work with the distributors to solve this problem, don't come try to license this individually.' So customer push drove us to where we got."

That basically means, "we own patents and so you should do what we say." This news is basically meaningless in countries where software patents are not legal.

jbtito03
November 18th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I agree... today... but what about tommorow? what will be then?

You know, preventive action is better then curative action.

We have to consider the worst and think about the best.

And for Microsoft - they should work on a better OS rather then attack the OSC.

Cheers

Jbtito

az
November 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I agree... today... but what about tommorow? what will be then?

well, free-libre software is gaining market share every day, you know.

You know, preventive action is better then curative action.

To prevent what?

We have to consider the worst and think about the best.

I have to think about that one...

And for Microsoft - they should work on a better OS rather then attack the OSC.

Cheers

Jbtito

Their job is to sell software. They are quite successful at it. If it does not suit your needs, you have a choice to use another OS.

jbtito03
November 19th, 2006, 03:32 AM
well...

I am not using ******* at all... cause i am not satisfied at all with it...

actually i am writing this just as i came from a party... with a mp3 ******* box to play our music... it crashed 4 times in 6 hours... not the program.... the whole OS! This did not happen to me with linux in three years! Come on... is that stable or even worth it?!

And... yes, microsoft is selling code and yes, they r very good at it but as i sead, they shoul work on a better OS rather than "work" on the concurence (if u take the OSC as concurence) :D

Anyway... preventive is... to ba aware and to show your theeth before it goes worse!

Cheers

JB

towsonu2003
November 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM
A link (seems very well known) that might go along this discussion: http://lessig.org/freeculture/free.html

jbtito03
November 21st, 2006, 02:37 AM
This one rules as i have never heard any better "law" explanation before...

And actually the law students of today are very confused when we come to the topic "internet", "code", "DRM", "IP"...

We have 250+ countries and 1 internet... so... which law?!

And may i quote The Prodigy - "F**k them and their law!" :D

Cheers

JB

az
December 8th, 2006, 03:29 AM
A link (seems very well known) that might go along this discussion: http://lessig.org/freeculture/free.html

I just saw that today. I have beed reading up on DRM and find myself more and more an advocate for a more free culture.

Some might have thought I was enough of a zealot before.... But I never though about intellectual property outside of the field of software.

Never have so few people had so much control over out culture. This is not about the right to copy music.

I reccomend that link to everyone.

KiwiNZ
December 8th, 2006, 04:05 AM
If all creativity was free , then the right of choice is removed from the Artisan.

Why should the Artisans freedom of choice be removed? It shouldnt.

az
December 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM
If all creativity was free , then the right of choice is removed from the Artisan.

Why should the Artisans freedom of choice be removed? It shouldnt.

o_O

My universal translator seems to be broken....

jbtito03
December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hmmm... i think that needs a deeper explanation about artisans freedom of choice... what are you talkin about?

Really... no clue...

About free culture - it would be paradise if something like free culture would happen.

http://creativecommons.org
(http://creativecommons.org)
Cheers

JB

M7S
December 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Isn't that plegde sending the signals that we would actually belive Microsoft has something they could go to court with? Don't help MS spreading FUD.