PDA

View Full Version : Count occurence of a character per line in a HUGE file

tenjin
November 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I have a csv file with 4 million rows...

I need to be able to count how many delimeter characters there ar on each line (semi-colon) as I'm getting import failures describing "too many fields" errors.

As the file has 4 million lines in it it's basically crashing everything I try to open it in, or at best, it renders the application unusable.

Can anyone give me some Perl / bash / AWK etc. that will give me a report of the occurences of ';' per line in my file?

Thanks

D.

hod139
November 17th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Here's some bash

cat "HUGE_FILE" | tr -cd ";" | wc -c
For a nice script version of this see here (http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/extmisc.html#LETTERCOUNT).

Edit: I misread your first post. The above command will give the total count in the file. It will take a little more work to get a number per line:

while read line; do echo "$line" | tr -cd ";" | wc -c; done <HUGE_FILE 1>OUTFILE
Note, you probably won't want to echo the count to the screen anymore, but output it to a file which is why I am redirecting the output to OUTFILE

Edit 2: last edit. I decided to make the output prettier: it now prints the line number and the count

n=0; while read line; do echo -n "$((n=$((n + 1)))) -> "; echo "$line" | tr -cd ";" | wc -c; done <HUGE_FILE 1>OUT_FILE

ghostdog74
November 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
A Python alternative:

count = 0
for lines in open("file4million.txt"):
c = lines.count(";")
count = count + c
print "Total delimiter count: " , count

tenjin
November 17th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi,

Fantastic, thanks!

Trying it now...

D.

shawnhcorey
November 17th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I have a csv file with 4 million rows...

I need to be able to count how many delimeter characters there ar on each line (semi-colon) as I'm getting import failures describing "too many fields" errors.

As the file has 4 million lines in it it's basically crashing everything I try to open it in, or at best, it renders the application unusable.

Can anyone give me some Perl / bash / AWK etc. that will give me a report of the occurences of ';' per line in my file?

Thanks

D.

Have you tried making a copy of the file and delete all but the first 10 rows of it? Sometimes when an application says, "Too many fields," it means too much data; the file is too big.

Have you inspected the first few rows of the data? Many applications have a limit of 255 fields per row. You can usually tell this by examining the first few rows.

almostlinux
July 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I stumbled across this through a google search.

The read followed by cat | tr | wc method is incredibly slow.

Doubt if the original author would read this but,

awk 'BEGIN { FS = ";" } ; { print NF-1 }' <million_lines.csv>

tenjin
August 2nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I'm still here! 8-)

Thanks for the code, I appreciate you taking the time to post it for me. I'll try it out now.

Cheers

D.