PDA

View Full Version : Control system volume/ multimedia events?

almahtar
November 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I am trying to write a script that will turn up/down your system volume, mute, etc. Anyone know if there are libraries/shell commands to do this? I can use "dcop" to control the volume of Amarok or tell it to skip forward, etc, but I need something for the actual system volume.

As an added bonus, if anyone can tell me how to send more generic "multimedia commands" (like what would happen if you pressed a multimedia key like "next" on a multimedia keyboard), I'll mail you a cookie. I make great cookies.

I've recently gotten a lot better at working with infrared devices in Linux, and I'd like to create a little GUI program with which people can easily program their remotes. The existing programs out there really didn't come through for me to get my stuff working, so I figure they could use some healthy competition.

engineer
November 17th, 2006, 05:50 AM
i guess you're using alsa. you could change the mixer setttings simply by calling 'amixer' with the parameters you want.

the man page (call 'man amixer') shows you all settings.

almahtar
November 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Thank you! That'll help a lot. Do you know if there's a way to figure out if a system is using alsa, jack, esd, arts, etc?