PDA

View Full Version : Vista = Linux core

at0mic
November 16th, 2006, 09:53 PM
anyone try the vista beta / builds? Does it not strike you as oddly linux? MS plagerized many aspects of linux especially in the security dept with the user not being root at all times and requires a password for admin tasks. the widgets are also linux born as well. Imagine if someone cracked or released the code of vista and it was found to be pieces of linux code? How would the world react if it was true?

Bells
November 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
You mean like Linux did with Unix down to adding the a to bsh?

Maybe SCO does have a case after all?

joeljkp
November 16th, 2006, 11:49 PM
It's not Linux code, it's just sound security practices. There's lots of non-Linux OSs that do that.

mysticrider92
November 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I havn't tried Vista, but from what I have seen, M$ is getting all of their ideas from Linux and maybe Apple.

3rdalbum
November 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
It does seem to me that they've taken a lot of ideas from other places. Even a unique Hurd feature has been incorporated into Vista.

Aranel
November 18th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe Linus and Stallman and all those folks should get together and make some vague accusations that Microsoft is stealing their intellectual property... ;)

Craftycorner
November 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
If MS was rippin' Red Hat I'd scream with laughter! Especially with that Ballmer ****** talking about Redhat lawsuits! Besides I like original FREE Linux thanks!

ario
October 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Imagin you are a worker in M$ Company.
And once upon a time bill gates comes to you and tell you to wirte a code for him to ... you say "Arranging some windows over desktop".
Then Are you realy going to write this code for your boss? or going to take a lock at some part of Linux code and then select Copy then Paste and some edition on code and just earn your money?:)
I mean can Open source society claim on windows code?

.Michael
October 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM
beryl kicks vistas ***.
Theres 1000 vids on you tube.

Another thing vista does that linux does is make a c:/Users/[username]/

There is no my documents folder.

Just like in linux.

/home/<username>/ is the my documents folder.

kulturloseramerikaner
October 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Maybe Linus and Stallman and all those folks should get together and make some vague accusations that Microsoft is stealing their intellectual property... ;)

It's GPL'd though. Microsoft could rip off everything as long they made the source code public, and it'd be totally legal.
Then again it's known that they ripped off the TCP/IP stack from BSD when making 95, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least...

kulturloseramerikaner
October 13th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I mean can Open source society claim on windows code?
If it can be shown that they did use open source code without releasing their newer source code, that would violate GPL and maybe you'd have something....
Problem is getting the code to check; they certainly are nazis about releasing it, even on stuff they haven't made money on in years.[-X

Linuturk
October 13th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I bet you Bill Gates runs linux.

kulturloseramerikaner
October 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I bet you Bill Gates runs linux.
He of all people should certainly know better.

Can+~
October 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I've been dreaming the day that M$ loses in court and has to release their source code and find open source code embeded in.

That would be the happiest day of my life.