PDA

View Full Version : Patent infringement indemnification?

hizaguchi
November 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
There's plenty of talk already about the Microsoft/Novell deal, and now the Microsoft/Red Hat no-deal floating around the interwebs. But I have a different interest in the situation. I'm just wondering exactly what patent issues have to do with me, directly, as an end user. I mean, as I understand it, a big part of these deals is that Microsoft won't sue Suse users for patent issues. But I'm not sure how much substance there really is to that in the first place. So I'd like to play out a little though experiment:

Let's assume, just for the purposes of this thread, that a significant portion of Gnu/Linux operating systems is in violation of patents owned by Microsoft. How does that affect an end user? Obviously there are indirect effects due to the possibility that the developers who write the code could potentially be sued for patent infringement, resulting in badness for everybody that benefits from their work. But could Microsoft actually sue end users for just running the code? Could that be turned into an RIAA style random lawsuit fest against kids and grandmas everywhere? Or is the whole idea of end users needing indemnification pure FUD?

deanlinkous
November 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
FUD i think...

I always thought patent lawsuits were more directed at corporations and not individuals anyway.

Still wondering how they are going to figure out I am running linux anyway?

meng
November 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
In the words of GWB: Bring it on!
(the lawyers I mean)

Tomosaur
November 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Software patents are ridiculous. Glad they don't exist over here!