PDA

View Full Version : Old version of java

Rindwind
November 16th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone out there have any experience with getting a older version of java(jdk1.2.2) to run on Dappler.

I've downloaded jdk1.2.2 from sun and extracted to /usr/local/sun-jdk1.2.2/

However running it gives this error:

tord@tord-linux:~$ /usr/local/sun-jdk1.2.2/bin/java -version
Can't load library "/usr/local/sun-jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so", because /usr/local/sun-jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

/lib/libc.so.6 points to /lib/libc-2.3.6.so, so it appares to be a compatibility issue between the version of libc that it's compiled for an the currently installed version.

Blackdown's version of jdk1.2.2 seemes to have the same issue...

So... any suggestions on how to fix this compatibility issue(have already tried to installed the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package with no result) or where to get a hold of a java-1.2 compiler that will work with current libc would be welcome..

hod139
November 16th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Can I ask why you want to install an older version? Newer versions are faster, more secure, and have a larger standard library.

Your old Java code "should" still build on a more recent version (albeit maybe with more warnings), and if it doesn't I would image an easy job to port the code.

So again, why would you want such an old version?

Rindwind
November 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Short answer... cause I have to..

Longer version:
My code is a piece of an older (and very large) system that runs on 1.2 which uses various features no longer present or have been changed in the newer versions. Rewriting it all to java-1.5 which we use for new projects, would therefor require *alot* of work..

hod139
November 16th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure about 1.2, but it may be possible to install 1.4 which should be more backwards compatible no? Anyways, I guess I can't offer much.

shining
November 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I thought that GNU java (gcj / gij) was installed by default, and actually, it doesn't even support java 5. Did you try it?

If it isn't installed, just do:

sudo apt-get install gij gcj

Then, if it's the only deb package providing java, you can just use javac and java.
If it isn't the only one, you need to do:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
sudo update-alternatives --config javac

and pick up GNU java.

Rindwind
November 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Nope.. 1.4 is to new.. :)
Allready have gjc installed

shining
November 18th, 2006, 12:32 AM
You could google for the error:
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=symbol+__libc_wait%2C+version+GLIBC_2.0+not+defi ned+in+file+libc.so.6+with+link+time+reference&btnG=Rechercher&meta=

Here someone explains how sun java is broken:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-04/msg00145.html

There is a workaround that is found in several places that might fix it.
See "workaround for the buggy JVM" in the middle of this page:
http://nextre.it/oracledocs/oracle9ionsles9amd64.html

By the way, aren't jdk backward compatible?
I joined it quite late, I only started learning java last year for school. We started with java 1.4, but also had an overview 1.5 changes, Our teacher said jdk 1.5 still supported 1.4 code. Maybe it's only between 2 consecutive releases?

David Mulligan
December 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I had this problem too and managed to find the solution.

1) install package libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
2) execute: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
3) Grab libcwait.c and compile it as per the instructions at IBM (http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=463&context=SSKTMJ&dc=DB520&uid=swg21173500&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct463lotus) The link in the article is broken but the contents of libcwait.c are included below.
4) execute: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcwait.so;export LD_PRELOAD

I placed the LD_PRELOAD statement in my ~/.bash_profile script. I assume there is a better place for it but it works for me.

Best of luck!
David

PS - Some code depends on very specific versions of the JRE. I am not talking about tiny applets or tiny applications like Azureus but rather mammoth multithreaded apps like application servers.

PPS - I love Azureus but relatively speaking it is tiny.

Rindwind
December 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM
It did the trick.
Thanks.