PDA

View Full Version : Random thought... could be nice?

Mr. Picklesworth
November 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Just a little thought regarding Gnome panels and their Auto Hide option.

It would be neat if, when the Hide Button option is in use, they hide as if a button was pressed (hiding to the side with a button still visible) rather than simply disappear leaving a thin line where they are aligned.
Panels hiding along their normal (rrk... need a better word for that) is a very common behaviour, and doesn't really look nice.
Anyhow, it probably makes sense why I think this would be nice, so I needn't ramble.

No idea over here how to deal with these lesser feature suggestions, though...
Feature specs confuse me, and I still can't figure out if they are the only way. Is there a place that explains them? Stickies I've missed, maybe?

darkninja
November 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Yeah I agree with what Mr. Picklesworth is thinking, however I doubt it will get fixed without much arguing.

Having the panels stick out a bit is good for usability as new users won't forget they exist, however I feel that if a user wants to set autohide for a menu, they obviously have acknowledged it's existance.

Windows, KDE, OSX all allow you to fully hide it. Given how focused the GNOME devs are on usability, I'd say you have a slim to none chance of getting this changed.

argie
November 16th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Actually, I'd LOVE this, the only reason I don't use autohide on one of my panels is because the way it's currently used is so annoying.