PDA

View Full Version : Dansgaurdian Parental Controls Problem

ReaderRat
November 16th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Last night,while researching on the net, I was denied access with a great big
STOP
I wondered what the problem was, but was too tired to figure it out. I ran into this again tonight. But,tonight , I could see the faint lettering on the stop sign said Dansguardian. I found "Configure ParentalControls", and I attempted to do so. I clicked on it and nothing happened....
How can I turn off this annoying and bothersome Dansguardian?

mhancoc7
November 16th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Last night,while researching on the net, I was denied access with a great big
STOP
I wondered what the problem was, but was too tired to figure it out. I ran into this again tonight. But,tonight , I could see the faint lettering on the stop sign said Dansguardian. I found "Configure ParentalControls", and I attempted to do so. I clicked on it and nothing happened....
How can I turn off this annoying and bothersome Dansguardian?

I am not sure why you would get the STOP sign. It is not default in Ubuntu CE or in the other dansguardian scripts that are part of the Ubuntu CE project. :-k You can completely remove the dansguadian by doing the following.

apt-get --purge remove --assume-yes "dansguardian"
apt-get --purge remove --assume-yes "tinyproxy"
apt-get --purge remove --assume-yes "clamav"
apt-get --purge remove --assume-yes "firehol"
apt-get --purge remove --assume-yes "dansguardian-gui-ubuntu"I hope that will help.

You will also need to unlock the firefox proxy settings using the script attached. Simply extract the file and then double click on the "unlock_proxy" file and choose run in terminal.

God Bless, Jereme

ReaderRat
November 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks, Jereme,

My web browsing and research will be much more enjoyable without the STOP!

Ben (ReaderRat)

sam_uk
December 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
I woulds also like to remove Dans guardian. I have followed the above instructions. I have also run iptables -L and iptables -F.

I can ping google, download software using apt etc, i can use vnc.

I have tried changing the proxy settings in firefox to 'direct connection to the internet' I just get a 'unable to connect - firefox can't establish a connection to the server' message.

anyone out there help??

thanks

Sam] (*,)

<edit> Ok i kind of fixed it by setting my browser to use an anonymous proxy from this list http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html if anyone can help with a 'proper' fix it would still be appriciated..

mhancoc7
December 4th, 2006, 03:05 AM
I have just released a script to disable/enable dansguardian in Ubuntu CE.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1841627#post1841627

Jereme