PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu USB flash drives

Landslide
November 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
They should sell bootable USB flash drives with Xubuntu pre-loaded on them. It would be a good way to raise funds and I would totally buy one.

Old Pink
November 15th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Make it a reality, do it yourself! Dead easy, I'll help you get started if you want?

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hold up; you should probably wait a little while before doing this. Solid-state flash drives are the new thing now, and in a little while, they'll be available in large sizes and lower prices

mahy
November 15th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Make it a reality, do it yourself! Dead easy, I'll help you get started if you want?

Great! Post a howto, please. I tried everything and i only succeeded when i formatted the pendrive using the HP tool in windows.

Landslide
November 16th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Yeah, a how-to would be awesome. I figured it could be done, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it.

I still think that having the Ubuntu people selling them would be a pretty good way to fund further development though. Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) does it, and I would buy one of theirs, but I'm pretty attached to the Ubuntu distribution on the basis of aesthetics and philosophy alone.

Old Pink
November 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Search for the how to (not my own) on how to create your own distribution/flavour of Ubuntu, and apply it to Xubuntu, simply removing EVERYTHING unnecessary, until it's no bigger than your flash drive.

Then, install to the flash drive. Once you've got an install on the flash drive, you can simply clone it, over and over again. :)

Or, you could try just install Xubuntu, cut it down on your hard drive, by using Synaptic to remove any unneeded packages and move the entire root directory onto a hard drive.

Obviously, there may be some problems you'll need to work around, the one that instantly springs to mind is GRUB. If it were to work on every computer, GRUB must be updated each time it boots, or somehow before MBR.

It's all trail and error, really.