PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Beta vs Yahoo! mail Beta: who wins?

pain of salvation
November 15th, 2006, 02:34 AM
who wins this battle? I use Gmail, but I think I will switch to yahoo..

rfruth
November 15th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Gmail has a better spam filter ;)

basketcase
November 15th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I use gmail for my primary account. I use my yahoo account for internet stuff where I have to give up an e-mail address.

I like a lot of features yahoo has, but I've never liked it and feel that it's spam filter sucks.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Indeed. Apart from a notification yesterday that I'd won the Spanish Lottery (funded by the Sultan Of Brunei, obviously), I haven't had a single piece of spam in a year or so of using Google mail. Last time I checked it, my yahoo mail had about 90 pieces of junk to delete.

pain of salvation
November 15th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Well, I think yahoo is more organized and the drag and drop feature is really nice. Also the tabbed browsing is nice..

kuja
November 15th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Gmail Beta vs Yahoo! mail Beta: who wins?
Kmail, obviously :P

skymt
November 15th, 2006, 03:14 AM
GMail, for the checkgmail system tray applet. I know, it's not really part of GMail, but there's nothing like it for Yahoo.

Yeah, the spam filter is great too.

neoflight
November 15th, 2006, 03:17 AM
too much ad in yahoo...i hate all the flashing flashes and the useless info etc....gmail rocks..

shoagun
November 15th, 2006, 03:23 AM
too much ad in yahoo...i hate all the flashing flashes and the useless info etc....gmail rocks..

use adblock plus (or just adblock). you'll never see ads again.

i use yahoo mail because i've had the account since long before google ever existed. overall i like the beta. lots of neat improvements. i don't like the fixed width of the message window. it makes it so some emails i have to side scroll to read, which is annoying.

kavon89
November 15th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Gmail, Yahoo has no chance. I use Gmail and I <3 it.

I get so much spam its not funny any more. 2752 Spam messages right now & I've given up on deleting them, they auto-delete after 30 days. Only about 20 in the past 2 years have gotten through the filter which is excellent, It's never filtered an activation e-mail. I seem to have registered my e-mail address on too many sites tho. I now regularly get 5 viruses e-mailed to me a day. They're all in my spam box but I've taken a look, and its random words like:

Subject: did u decide
Preview: back on Miranda as long as he could see her, he said, as he went...
*Attachment Included*

Sounds like this person copied and pasted a story. I also get tons of e-mails for "6O% 0FF \/IAGRA!" lawl! I'm 15... I don't have ED. ;)

TheRingmaster
November 15th, 2006, 03:59 AM
forget those two inbox is better. It offers 5GB email, storage, pictures...etc

http://www.inbox.com

loell
November 15th, 2006, 04:08 AM
forget those two inbox is better. It offers 5GB email, storage, pictures...etc

http://www.inbox.com

Check Out These Inbox.com Upgrades!

Inbox.com 5GB Backup

* 5GB of Online Storage
* Price: $9.96 (regularly $14.99)
* Enhanced Daily Backups

Inbox.com 30GB Exclusive

* 30GB of Online Storage
* Price: $29.88 (regularly $49.99)
* Enhanced Daily Backups

so it not free? i'm settled with gmail :)

feign
November 15th, 2006, 04:13 AM
For the time being I am sticking with Gmail.

Personally I would like to see one of the major players in this market come out in favor of more email privacy. I would like to know that they are not sharing my emails with the government without a warrant. :-k

kuja
November 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM
For the time being I am sticking with Gmail.

Personally I would like to see one of the major players in this market come out in favor of more email privacy. I would like to know that they are not sharing my emails with the government without a warrant. :-k
This is where GPG and S/Mime really shine :mrgreen:

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 04:30 AM
google's been pretty good about privacy, IMO. They're one of the few companies I would trust, at least to an extent.

feign
November 15th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Getting offtopic...but... :-#

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/10/30/google-intelligence-cooperation-reprise/

tzulberti
November 15th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I like much more Gmail,

Anthem
November 15th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Gmail, no doubt.

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 06:09 AM
i use gmail and hotmail <-- lol dont ask ive had it for ages i cant be bothered to tell everyone my new email adress

ericesque
November 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Yahoo has made some nice strides, but Gmail takes the cake. I have a gmail manager extension for firefox that is great. Lets me switch between accounts with two clicks instead of entering my user/pass. I'm honestly not that concerned about email security. I have no real personal info in there. If you want to see some pictures that other people took at my wedding and forwarded to me-- or know when my mom wants to schedule thanksgiving dinner with the family, feel free to ask.

I like gmail because of the conversation style re: setup it has. Makes my job of remembering what the heck I said before a lot easier.

steven8
November 15th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I've Yahoo Mail since we've had the internet, and I do not like the new beta. Half the time it doesn't even load, and I have a high speed connection as they recommend.

delfick
November 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Gmail Ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarfBag
November 15th, 2006, 07:38 AM
I'm using Yahoo! at the moment. I like all the cool features it has. The new layout really sucks, though. Seems kinda slow and glitchy. And WTF is up with that weird looking character at the loading screen? :confused:

I'd switch to GMail if it supported POP3 (Y! doesn't unless you pay). Does it?

loell
November 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM
i thought yahoo support pop3 in thier .ca and .uk mail domain?

BarfBag
November 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM
i thought yahoo support pop3 in thier .ca and .uk mail domain?

They might, but I'm in the US.

steven8
November 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
You can use yahoo POP3 if you are a Yahoo Plus! user. You gotta pay for it.

Sirin
November 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
None. I use my own locally-hosted mail server. :p

DC@DR
November 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Gmail for friends and family, Yahoo! Mail for spammers :p

Tamil
November 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Gmail.

smdeep
November 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I'm using Yahoo! at the moment. I like all the cool features it has. The new layout really sucks, though. Seems kinda slow and glitchy. And WTF is up with that weird looking character at the loading screen? :confused:

I'd switch to GMail if it supported POP3 (Y! doesn't unless you pay). Does it?

Gmail does support POP3. Let me know if you want an invite for a Gmail account.

Sudeep

BarfBag
November 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Gmail does support POP3. Let me know if you want an invite for a Gmail account.

Sudeep

Sure, man! Thanks!

TheRingmaster
November 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Check Out These Inbox.com Upgrades!

Inbox.com 5GB Backup

* 5GB of Online Storage
* Price: $9.96 (regularly $14.99)
* Enhanced Daily Backups

Inbox.com 30GB Exclusive

* 30GB of Online Storage
* Price: $29.88 (regularly $49.99)
* Enhanced Daily Backups

no no no That is what they offer in addition to there free 5 GB Of mail service. I should know I am using it right now!!

Inbox.com - Email (http://www.inbox.com/products/email.aspx)
Inbox.com - Email Features (http://www.inbox.com/products/email-features.aspx)

MedivhX
November 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM
GMail is a winner for me...

Luggy
November 15th, 2006, 03:59 PM
GoogleFight says that Yahoo! mail Beta wins.
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Gmail+Beta&word2=Yahoo%21+mail+Beta

MedivhX
November 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Well that's certainly not true because on that stupid page hotmail (MSN) wins too...

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Gmail+Beta&word2=Hotmail

skymt
November 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
GoogleFight says that Yahoo! mail Beta wins.
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Gmail+Beta&word2=Yahoo%21+mail+Beta

Inaccurate. There are going to be a lot of results that contain "yahoo", "mail" and "beta", without actually talking about the Yahoo Mail beta. Many of the results probably date to before the beta even came out.

argie
November 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
YahooMail loads slower, doesn't have very good spam control. Besides, I'm used to Gmail now.

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I also have some 70-odd gmail invites if anybody would like one.

The only gripe I have with gmail is that it only displays best under firefox. But Yahoo probably doesn't play nice with konqueror either

Gargamella
November 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
i never understood how to make a google mail account...there is no registering option ;(

pain of salvation
November 15th, 2006, 06:06 PM
maybe it is just me, but I feel yahoo mail loads faster than gmail.

Here is a nice review comparison: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32611

skymt
November 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
i never understood how to make a google mail account...there is no registering option ;(

You need an invitation. They have a system (https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1) that sends invitations to cell phones with text messages. If you don't have a compatible phone, then find someone with spare invitations. I have 13 right now, so if you want one, PM me with your current email address.

shining
November 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I also have some 70-odd gmail invites if anybody would like one.

The only gripe I have with gmail is that it only displays best under firefox. But Yahoo probably doesn't play nice with konqueror either

What is better under firefox?
By default, the normal mode doesn't work in konqueror. But you just need to configure konqueror UserAgent as Mozilla or Firefox for mail.google.com , and it should work fine:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1195

Or are there other problems, even after doing that?

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 07:27 PM
@Gargamella; you have to either get an invite by SMS or through email.

@shining: Yeah, I know. it works pretty well, decent even, but the Google Chat function is still a little fritzy. And that alone has made me switch back to firefox lol. bugs me.

Gmail is certainly the best under firefox, but that's just a matter of personal taste for me. i LOVE gmail.

As I said, I do have some 70-odd invitations so I don't mind giving em out if anyone wants one.

Gargamella
November 15th, 2006, 08:23 PM
You need an invitation. They have a system (https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1) that sends invitations to cell phones with text messages. If you don't have a compatible phone, then find someone with spare invitations. I have 13 right now, so if you want one, PM me with your current email address.

thank you, i will do that

bonzodog
November 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM

No, you have to be 'invited' by a friend or colleague to get your own account. I myself switched to gmail a year ago, and do not regret it one bit. I think Hotmail is losing a lot of users to gmail :D.
Ask anyone here or PM them with your current email address and one of us will mail you an invite.

Old Pink
November 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I currently have an all time low of 4,700+ spam messages in my GMail "Spam" filter. And I get around 2/3 per day leaking into the inbox. I've not tried Yahoo, and don't feel compelled too.

Zdravko
November 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
gmail is better, although I receive daily about 20-30 spam messages. Of course, they are placed correctly in the spam folder, but it is still a bad bug.

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I currently have an all time low of 4,700+ spam messages in my GMail "Spam" filter. And I get around 2/3 per day leaking into the inbox. I've not tried Yahoo, and don't feel compelled too.
wow, you are a regular old spam veteran. I myself get about 10-20 per day (not google's fault though). Most of them go to the spambox like they should.

I wrote to google once saying that they should revise their spambox feature, so that if a user confirms something as spam, it shouldn't show up at all, and only "suspected" spam should go to the spambox, but from their reply, I could tell they weren't interested in doing this and were satisfied with the current system.

shining
November 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Spam drives me crazy, so I change my mail address every time I start getting too much.
Though, I believe I was starting to get some on my gmail account, which went directly to the Spam folder. And it stopped itself, that's the first time I see that.

gcsoares
November 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
GMAIL rlz... better think ever, fast, no spam, uses w/ gtalk (jabber)...

i tried yahoo and msn live today... you have to adblock 2 frames in msn live to use it well, i imagine who uses IE that cant adblock think...

Old Pink
November 15th, 2006, 11:37 PM
wow, you are a regular old spam veteran. I myself get about 10-20 per day (not google's fault though). Most of them go to the spambox like they should.

Yeah, I don't hide my email address behind [at]s and [dot]s, I let it roam free, relying on my evolving spam filters to capture it.

If a persistent spammer continues to make it into the inbox, I'll create my own filter, specifically to stop him/her.

moneypenny
November 15th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Oh man, Gmail all the way.

It's faster. Yahoo! Mail feels like an old man is serving pages for me. Everything's chunky feeling, and I have both a new computer and a fast Internet connection.
Gmail is from Google, and Google is fairly awesome. They have a love of open source and Linux, whereas Yahoo! has been all buddy-buddy with Microsoft in the past. No thanks.
Gmail has text-only ads, which are much more preferable to Yahoo!'s regular image ads.
I think the spam protection in Gmail is better.
I love Gmail's conversation setup of emails.
I dislike Yahoo!'s frame-like layout. If I wanted such a layout, I'd use Thunderbird.

tubasoldier
November 16th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Yahoo Beta sucks. It is too busy. It tries to do too much in too little space, and still it finds room to fit in huge ugly advertisements.

Gmail for me all the way.

Ever wonder how many people accidentally go to gmale.com?

skymt
November 16th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Ever wonder how many people accidentally go to gmale.com?

Fortunately, there's no such website. So I don't imagine it's much of a problem. ;)

neoflight
November 16th, 2006, 05:19 AM

now you can signup directly for gmail.....!

TheRingmaster
November 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
now you can signup directly for gmail.....!
still have to have a cell phone

delfick
November 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Fortunately, there's no such website. So I don't imagine it's much of a problem. ;)

he tells the truth :D

and while i'm at it, how much space does yahoo offer ?? (4 MB like hotmail ?? :D)

Dual Cortex
November 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Only 1GB

skymt
November 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
and while i'm at it, how much space does yahoo offer ?? (4 MB like hotmail ?? :D)

Yahoo is up to 1 GB now. Not GMail level, but still more than enough.

delfick
November 17th, 2006, 01:26 AM
but still more than enough.

what a lie :D (lol)

shining
November 19th, 2006, 05:59 PM
what a lie :D (lol)

I use 99 MB on my gmail account (total size is 2786 MB).
So I think I would also be fine with 1GB :)

ericesque
November 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM
shining, sounds like it's time to get gdrive. FTP files to and from your gmail account for a bit of gmail file backup action.

earobinson
November 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM
the original post should be editied to include a poll

maniacmusician
November 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM
gmail is definitely pretty neat. I'm using 200MBs; that's only 7% of my total storage space. and its increasing all the time.

earobinson
November 22nd, 2006, 04:21 PM
You are currently using 591 MB (21%) of your 2787 MB.

im hoping they jump the space up or im going to run out in 2 years or so

pain of salvation
November 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Ok, now we have a poll

encompass
December 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Google mail is slim yet powerful.
Yahoo is blotted and ful of too many ads.
It barely runs on my old computer. And not built in pop. Or import export and good file attachment management
and space. I mean how far should I go with this.

steven8
December 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Lots of spam slipping past the yahoo filters these days. I keep my yahoo because I have a lot of accounts tied to it, but I got gmail because it allows us poor free client users to have pop access, where yahoo only gives access to paying yahoo plus! customers.

derjames
December 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I really hate the advertisement banner on the right of Yahoo Mail...
the same with Windows Live Mail (aka Hotmail) the top advertisement is pretty annoying...

the good thing is that can be disabled using the Firefox adblocker...

anyway I do prefer my googlemail account...

Sef
December 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I have both (and a 2 others), but gmail is my favorite. I like it's simplicity and minimalism.

nyinge
December 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I prefer Gmail for it's less resource intensive. Yeah yeah... I'm running xubuntu on an old laptop :(

gjtoth
December 16th, 2006, 02:49 PM

It's free. However, if you want your 5 Gigs backed-up, it's not free (understandably). OR, if you want 30 Gigs, it's not free (understandably). Also, I recall reading that you must be in a certain geographical area to get the 5 gigs. Otherwise, it's 2.5 Gigs.

I will say that their start page (portal), calendar, and other features rival GMail and leave Yahoo in the dust. One of the things I like about GMail is the ability to work on, store and share Word documents and Excel spreadsheets ONLINE. Inbox has far superior spam control than either Gmail or Yahoo. Inbox will check and download email from ANY POP3 account. Even GMail won't do that. And, yes, Inbox can be used as your primary POP3 / SMTP servers -- after all, they're in the ISP buisness. Inbox's contacts are handle much better than GMail and, again, it leaves Yahoo in the dust.

Google likes to stay on the bleeding edge in the R & D area and will probably continue to offer great, new features that work well. Yahoo seems keep playing "catch-up"... not offer anything really NEW. Google SHOWS you what they're working on .. check out the Google Labs. Yahoo dangles a carrot with vague hints of things to come.

I use Inbox as my main box because I can check my email on several accounts from work. I tell folks to use my GMail or another private account I have with my ISP or webhost. I can collect them ALL through Inbox. At the end of the day, I can go home and get them all through Thunderbird because Inbox gives you the option to leave them on the server. So, I can delete the ones I want during the day at work leaving only the ones I want to archive in Thunderbird. Actually, I don't even have to do that because I'm planning on plopping down the money for the 30 gig option and I can have my mail, photos, and the files I NEED in case my system dies backed up nightly.

Yep... it's that nice! :-D

dbbolton
December 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM
i don't like yahoo, or anything it has produced.

steevc
December 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I prefer Gmail. Yahoo takes too long to start and I don't get direct to my inbox from my Yahoo home page, even when I click on a message. I also like the Google integration with GTalk.

I've had a Yahoo account for a long time, but I'd prefer to use Google these days. I would still need the Yahoo account to get web access to their Groups (for Freecycle).

Oh, and the Gmail spam filter is better.

iPower
December 16th, 2006, 06:04 PM
imap :)

xopher
December 16th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Im still in love with gmail :)

Works. Is adequately fast. Focuses on email, which is the main reason why I use it.

Frak
December 16th, 2006, 06:30 PM
GMail, configures with Kmail and Thunderbird perfectly, and they host all of my email accounts for my users free, under @powered76.com, not @gmail.com, and my users get full access to google goodies with my domain accounts.

Kudo's to Google :KS

metalf8801
April 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
there both good but

Yahoo has unlimited storage but you have to pay for pop mail

Gmail has limited storage but still a lot of storage and free pop mail

I don't know how good Gmail spam filter is but someone else post that is was good and I know that Yahoo mail has a really good spam filter.

So if you get a lot of mail and you don't want to delete it and you don't mind using your browser to check your mail and Microsoft and Yahoo do not merger use yahoo mail.
or
If you want to use Thunderbird (which i like best) or Evolution or god forbid outlook to check your mail and you are willing to at some point delete some old messages use Gmail

Xzallion
April 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
metalf8801, you do realize you resurected a thread that has been dead for over a year, right? And that both services are no longer in beta?

SomeGuyDude
April 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Yahoo's interface is FAR too cluttered for my tastes.

amazingtaters
April 2nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
Well, considering I've been gmailing since, oh, 2004, I'd say my opinion should be pretty clear.

Foster Grant
April 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Gmail: free POP3, free IMAP, better spam filtering

Yahoo: pay for POP3, no IMAP, lousy spam filtering, puts unwanted spam at the end of every outgoing message.

Web interfaces: Who cares? Use Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail or another dedicated mail client.

Winner, and still champion: Gmail. It's not even close.

Frak
April 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
Gmail: free POP3, free IMAP, better spam filtering

Yahoo: pay for POP3, no IMAP, lousy spam filtering, puts unwanted spam at the end of every outgoing message.

Web interfaces: Who cares? Use Thunderbird, Evolution, Kmail or another dedicated mail client.

Winner, and still champion: Gmail. It's not even close.
Unless your are like us who get Yahoo! Mail as apart of our ISP. I use SBC/AT&T and get 10 free POP3/IMAP and SMTP services plus unlimited space.

Gmail will never run out of space.

Though I get Yahoo Mail with my ISP, I still use Gmail as my primary mail.

EnergySamus
April 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
GMAIL is 110% better than yahoo mail. I know, I have both.:lolflag:

red_five
April 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Let's see:
Gmail has better spam filters, free IMAP and POP access, free forwarding, free retrieval of other accounts, and free ability to send from any of those accounts. It also effectively has free additional addresses (email+something@gmail.com), which are really handy for filtering, even for throw-away addresses. Storage is a hair over 6GB, and you can even use it as a network hard drive with the right utility software.

Yahoo has a nice GUI with DnD, but you have to pay for POP support, pay for 1 additional address, no IMAP support, can't send as different accounts, limited address blocks, and the spam filter isn't so great. Storage is theoretically unlimited, but you don't get nifty filesystem capabilities (unless I've missed something).

Gmail FTW!