PDA

View Full Version : gEdit - PHP Syntax Highlighting & Replace Function

altonbr
November 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
These question are regarding gEdit (Ubuntu's default text editor):

1) Is there a way to highlight embedded PHP variables (the kind that show up in strings).

<?php
print("<td>$todays_month</td>");
?>

<?php
print("<td>$todays_month</td>");
?>
2) Is there a way to use the replace function on only text you've selected? Sometimes when I am copying and pasting HTML in my PHP, I need to PHPize the HTML code (aka: replace " with \") and it's annoying that I the settings aren't verbose enough to do a replace only on a section of the page.

I love gEdit other than that. It's the best replacement for Notepad++ I've found so far. And I am aware that Bluefish as it's own Syntax Highlighting Editor, where you can see the regular expressions the program uses, but I wouldn't know where to begin in creating one for embedded variables in PHP. I'm still a beginner mind you.

EDIT:: Also, as I just noticed, gEdit doesn't have ASP highlighting. I mean I hate ASP as much as the next man, but I find it interesting that it only has VB.NET for highlighting. I just need to use my desktop temporarily until my laptop's ethernet connection software (that the school provides) is fixed.

altonbr
December 7th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Bump.

altonbr
December 13th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Does no one find this a necessary function?

Kurt`
December 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Don't output HTML like that... just do this:

echo <<<WHATEVER
blah
blah
<p style="font-size: 20px;">
more stuff and html, oh look a $variable
</p>
blahblah
WHATEVER;

It's called "here document" syntax and it kicks *** :p

altonbr
December 15th, 2006, 10:43 PM
But how do you get it so there is a syntax colour change for the variables embedded in the HTML?

Like this:

echo("
blah
blah
<p style="font-size: 20px;">
more stuff and html, oh look a $variable
</p>
");

Helmi
July 21st, 2007, 06:08 PM
Any news on that?

I found a solution for Ruby - perhaps someone is able to adept it for php?

http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit_few_steps

altonbr
July 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Any news on that?

I found a solution for Ruby - perhaps someone is able to adept it for php?

http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit_few_steps

No, but that syntax highlighting sure looks slick.

Oddly, I was JUST going to make another post on this topic and you replied to my old thread. I just took this screenshot a couple of minutes ago comparing Notepad++ (4.1.2) to gEdit (2.18.1).

I had Gusty loaded for quite some time and tried gEdit 2.19 but it seems as though this function isn't built into gtksourceview yet. I also joined the gEdit development mailing list, so I'll make a post on there soon.

smartbei
July 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I am very satisfied with the way Geany does the higlighting - it detects variables inside quotes, etc. It's also very lightweight and responsive, which is what I always liked about notepad++ when I still had windows.

altonbr
August 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Well my ranting and raving finally go through to somebody. 2006-11-14 to 2007-08-28 was the length it took to fix.

I made a post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3269797 describing how gEdit 2.19.91 finally highlights PHP variables inside strings. It even has a new gorgeous theme too!