PDA

View Full Version : Companies Using Ubuntu?

derby007
November 14th, 2006, 04:42 PM
How many companies out there are using Ubuntu in their workplace? for any sort of tasks at all? Seeing as it has Open Office, media applications, e-mail, word processors, etc etc... Maybe the WORD needs to get out the general public : Linux is FREE, use it !! I've talked to electronic engineers who were using some form of linux (in their job), command based, but apart from using the same old cammands day-in day-out, they didn't know the sheer flexability/customizability of it. Are we (workers) going to be stuck using the 1 product for ever? i hope not :rolleyes:

Bavo
November 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I'm a network administrator for a part of a university in Belgium. It's not really a company, but it comes close :).
I'm currently installing Ubuntu on the computers here. This are computers for about 30 persons.

The computers here are used mostly to write papers using LaTeX and for scientific research.

Old Pink
November 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Google use Ubuntu Linux in their workplace. :)

hotbrainz
November 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I work for a Telecom major. We are seriously looking to Open source as a viable development platform. Ubuntu is strongly backed personally backed by me and is very appealing to other developers here as well. If implementation happens we could be looking into market penetration of tens of thousands of pieces of equipment and servers that we sell.

Subnet
November 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I work at a hospital and we are using a ubuntu server to store log files of our Windows clients. If I have my way, we will also be using it for a webserver and possibly a few clients for the doctors to use.:cool:

MedivhX
November 14th, 2006, 08:37 PM
In Serbia there are some stores using Fedora Linux as Lily Drogerie - http://www.lilly.co.yu/

Chillee
November 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Canonical ?

qalimas
November 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Canonical ?

Why would THEY be using Ubuntu?](*,)

:mrgreen:

neowolf
November 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM
System76? :p
Google apparently do as Old Pink said, a while ago there was speculation that Google would release an Ubuntu-based distro.

JAPrufrock
November 14th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm in the process of setting up Ubuntu for a small retail business of which I am a partner. Hopefully, we will be able to set up 4 computers, with 3 points of sale, all using Ubuntu. The accounting program will be Gnucash, in Spanish. I intend to use PHP Point of Sale compiled from Sourceforge. It all looks doable. I'll not sure about a POS printer, but I assume I'll be able to get an Epson to work with Ubuntu??

Naralas
November 15th, 2006, 12:16 AM
I gave edubuntu to the administrator at my school, however I don't know if it enables the hardcore "record everything your students do" crap that most schools are eating up lately so I doubt it will work when she proposes it.

Everyone hates our current setup, teachers, students, everyone but whiney parents who's kids start trouble and end up asking Mommy or Daddy to finish it for them.

(I respect the problem of internet bullying, but e-mails can be traced to students and if they are both using an IM client during school hours then they will be repremanded for it and the school won't care anymore than that)

Koori23
November 15th, 2006, 12:34 AM
We use Ubuntu Dapper as a CNC Machine Center server. That basically means it's a file server that is used wirelessly to upload and download G-Code so the machines can run our parts. I honestly haven't touched it since I installed it when Dapper came out. We also run Open Systems Accounting software on Dapper as well. This is because it's accounting software, you don't want it to break. My primary machine runs dapper.. I just use RDP to get to my Windows stuff inside the network. Everybody that uses our accounting software runs Dapper every time they access the system to generate work orders. They don't even know they're using it.