PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO keyboard macros macro in linux

grizzly
November 14th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Yup, its indeed possible to have system-wide application independent macros in unix! thanks to xmacros and whoever who wrote a guide somehere i don't remember.

Step 1. Install the app

aptitude install xmacro
Step 2. Record the macro:
xmacrorec -d 1400 > ~/quote wait...
Step 3. xmacro isn't perfect so open ~/quote for editing, as many lines are repeated and need to be removed.
Step 4. Replay the macro
cat ~/quote | xmacroplay ":0.0"

Basically xmacroplay plays the commands from a text file.The text file can be written manually or by the above recording method. Reading the examplbelow should make it all very easy.
EXAMPLE

Delay 1 # Always add this!!
KeyStrPress bracketleft
KeyStrRelease bracketleft
String quote
KeyStrPress bracketright
KeyStrRelease bracketright
KeyStrPress bracketleft
KeyStrRelease bracketleft
KeyStrPress slash
KeyStrRelease slash
String quote
KeyStrPress bracketright
KeyStrRelease bracketright
Delay 1 #delay
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Left
KeyStrRelease Left
KeyStrPress Lef
The above types [ q u o t e ] [ / q u o t e ] followed by 8 'left arrow' keys so that the cursor is between [qote] & [/quote] priceless..

Example 2
Delay 1 #delay
Sending a hotkey - Ctrl + g

KeyStrPress Control_R
KeyStrPress g KeyStrRelease g
KeyStrRelease Control_R

=== Problems?
1. Read the last 4 topics on http://xmacro.sourceforge.net/ for a better understanfing of the macro file. its simple btw
2. try adding a lil delay (look in above example for how)
3. How to play the macro?? You can use xbindkeys/khotkeys(kdeonly) to assign a shortcut for the macro.

David Valentine
December 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
There's a new GUI alternative I would love to see in the repos: JW_Record_Playback (http://members.home.nl/wijnenjl/Record_Playback_Python_TclTk_INI_Wx_EN_01.html). How do we request such things, since it's apparently not appropriate for the backports/repository forum?

mike_m
September 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
thanks for the example, but how do you stop the macrorec?

xmacrorec -d 1400 > ~/quote
I see "-d 1400" is delay rec by 1.4 sec
and "> ~/quote" is save macro file to quote

but don't we need a quit rec key?
I can't find this anywhere, thanks.

PS I did get xmacroplay to replay my hand typed script into an open doc:

Delay 1 # Always add this!!
String mikemason.org
KeyStrPress Return
KeyStrRelease Return
String my web address

Not much, but a test

James7
September 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Would this program be useful if you wanted to have quick keyboard shortcuts to enter a string of text or character not on your keyboard?

For example, could I use CTL-ALT-a to put a "à" into any text field in any open program? And say, CTL-ALT-SHIFT-A to put a "À" into any text field in any open program?

Any help much appreciated ! :)

mike_m
September 5th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Not from what i see, I tried to set hotkeys (keyboard shortcuts) but they would not run the command lines needed ie: (cat testing.macro | xmacroplay -d 100 :0)

So I have to Alt+F2 then type "cat testing.macro | xmacroplay -d 100 :0"

James7
September 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks, mate, this looks a bit beyond me. I was looking for a way to do what KeyText (http://www.keytext.com/) does in Windows. Perhaps there is another program out there....

newsun
September 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
This definately looks promising and I will definately try it out when I get my system76 laptop or my macmini back up. In the meantime, I am curious about doing dynamic thing in the macros like having a date print out for dating a note.

i.e.

This is a note

type key shortcut and the date is filled in at cursor.

2007-09-07 - This is a note

mike_m
September 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I don't think xmacro can do that.

billynomates
September 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
This is awesome!

Here is a page of all the keys to help you write your own. ("http://www.openmash.org/lxr/source/xlib/X11/keysymdef.h?c=tk8.3) Just take off the "XK_" before each one.

In Compiz Settings, if you go to General Options, and then to the commands tab, you can fire off events on keyboard short cuts.
For example, I have set it so that I can write my email address super-fast (for forms and stuff). So in one of the Command boxes I have written

cat ~/path/to/macro | xmacroplay ":0.0"

and then in the corresponding Key Bindings box, I have "<super> apostrophe", so now when I press Super+' it'll type my email address.

The possibilities are endless!

roystonlodge
March 20th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Oh man, I am finally gonna pwn at Armagetron...

edc80
December 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I found a much friendlier way to do these. Try installing Autokey-gtk using the Synaptic Package Manager. The keyboard macros work and the graphic user interface makes it easy for novices like me to set these up.

I found this tutorial article to be especially helpful:

http://saravananthirumuruganathan.wordpress.com/2010/04/14/autokey-linux-utility-for-text-substitution-hotkeys-and-desktop-automation/

TJTM,
-Ed.