PDA

View Full Version : Welcome me!

RTN
April 26th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hi!
Just switched over from another distro today. I'm happy. Have not gone into too much details yet (bluetooth for example). But Ubuntu has been very promising right from the start.
In my opinion the biggest disadvantage is brown color. Fortunately I'm able to change desktop backround and color scheme. :)

RTN.

fng
April 26th, 2005, 08:04 PM
First, most people dislike the brown color. But in a week or 2, they all adore it :)

Welcome to ubuntu!

Star88
April 26th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Hi!
Just switched over from another distro today. I'm happy. Have not gone into too much details yet (bluetooth for example). But Ubuntu has been very promising right from the start.
In my opinion the biggest disadvantage is brown color. Fortunately I'm able to change desktop backround and color scheme. :)

RTN.
Welcome, I installed U a couple weeks ago, on an old computer, and have not mannaged to get it connected to the internet yet. I get lots of failure notices at bootup. Glad to hear that it is working well for ya. :)

poofyhairguy
April 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM
welcome

-TayloR-
April 26th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Welcome to these here boards RTN, i myself am also fairly new but from the time ive spent here i can tell you this community is great for both help and just in general chat :).

jdodson
April 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
welcome.

XDevHald
April 26th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Indeed, welcome!

KiwiNZ
April 26th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Welcome to our community RTN , you will find it a brilliant place to visit and even set up home .

About the default theme . yep it may not be veryone cup of tea but it sis completely changeable. Remember its your OS change it at will , its completely customisable .... Isn't that so refreashing.

traveller
April 27th, 2005, 04:18 AM
Welcome!

bored2k
April 27th, 2005, 04:31 AM
welcome

Randabis
April 27th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Welcome to the flock. :) Hope you enjoy your stay and perhaps one day find your own way to contribute to the fold. :p Remember to check out the ubuntu wiki (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki) and most of all, have fun!

TravisNewman
April 27th, 2005, 04:48 AM
bienvenudos

mohaham
April 27th, 2005, 04:57 AM
welcome aboard..

bored2k
April 27th, 2005, 04:58 AM
bienvenudos
Lol it's bienvenIdos ;).

TravisNewman
April 27th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Lol it's bienvenIdos ;).
Yeah I know-- the i and the u are right next to each other. ;)

RTN
April 27th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Thank you all for a warm welcome!
I'll go around in wiki and forums. There are some things I need to do.
1) I have not found a way to access other partitions I got. (Actually my friend needs it, I just mount them manualy, if I need. He needs point-n-click stuff)
2) I need skype.
3) I probably want newer version of ipw2100.
4) I need some bluetooth stuff to get installed. (kde-bluetooth subsystem + syncronizing evolution with mobile phone)

Plus lots of other stuff I have not tried yet. Do all the videos work? Hmm... Just found out that graphics acceleration works. Good.

I don't know my contributing abilities, but I can testdrive.

RTN

RTN
April 27th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I just discovered that this is a nice way to store my notes about Ubuntu linux.
If anybody has any suggestions can reply.

My hardware is Dell Latitude D600 (the older model with intel wifi and 1024x768 lcd).

But...

I'm installing printer. Network, shoud work over IP or SMB, but under Gnome there is no way to detect. (I know the exact IP of the printer, but if I would be a brand new Linux convert from Windows...)

I'll tell you the results from KDE... (I installed Ubuntu (sorry, I keep forgeting the version number and codeword) then added KDE to it).

RTN

Thank you all for a warm welcome!
I'll go around in wiki and forums. There are some things I need to do.
1) I have not found a way to access other partitions I got. (Actually my friend needs it, I just mount them manualy, if I need. He needs point-n-click stuff)
2) I need skype.
3) I probably want newer version of ipw2100.
4) I need some bluetooth stuff to get installed. (kde-bluetooth subsystem + syncronizing evolution with mobile phone)

Plus lots of other stuff I have not tried yet. Do all the videos work? Hmm... Just found out that graphics acceleration works. Good.

I don't know my contributing abilities, but I can testdrive.

RTN

defkewl
April 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
From what distro did you switched from? :P

bored2k
April 27th, 2005, 03:30 PM
From what distro did you switched from? :P
10 bucks he says Mandrake/Fedora ;).

Jenda
April 27th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I'm new too. But I must say: I LOVE the default interface! Go brown!
Anyway, since you mentioned skype, I'm looking for a Free alternative. Any ideas?

StarkD
April 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hi!

RTN.Hi! I'm a new happy user too and also a bit unused to the brown color. But I think it looks great if you use the following wallpaper: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=23446&vote=good&tan=76051555

RTN
April 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I could say whatever, but the truth is you owe 10 bucks to Ubuntu community. :)

I came from another debian based distro. Just don't want to go ant participate in that poll. There were some users of my exdistro who did not think very well about Ubuntu and I decided that I will try to reduce the chanches that Linux users kick eachother just because they are different. Everything is fine for me as long as Mr.Sir.G is crying. ;P

RTN

RTN
April 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
I'm new too. But I must say: I LOVE the default interface! Go brown!
Anyway, since you mentioned skype, I'm looking for a Free alternative. Any ideas?
Skype is free from computer to computer. Calling to regular or cellular phones is gonna cost you. What did you have in mind?

RTN