PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Workstation

turkenator
November 14th, 2006, 02:09 PM
What is the ideal workstation for you?
What looks professional in your eyes?
Which Desktop Environment or Window Manager? Probably accompanied with some screenshots? and which theme and icon set you are using...
Maybe this could inspire some people to create a nice professional theme by observing what people like and dislike ?

I am using the "Web" window decoration with "Plastik Widgets" and the "Free Icons" icon set

Ps. Sorry for my english if i made any spelling/grammer errors

delfick
November 14th, 2006, 02:27 PM
noia icons
blue noia like widgets
(noia as in the noia extreme theme for firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/72/)

nice wallpaper
semi-transparent, black taskbar (single on the bottom)
and big icons (which is why i use gnome :D)

here's a screenshot http://delfick755.googlepages.com/Screenshot.jpg
(note that though you can't see it, i use the Glossy P gtk theme :D)

(o ye, and i use beryl (BERYL FTW !! :D))

turkenator
November 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
your desktop is very pleasing to look at lol just gotta love those massive icons :) one of the features i miss about gnome :P

delfick
November 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
your desktop is very pleasing to look at lol just gotta love those massive icons :)

thnx :D
it's very pleasant to use too :D:D

one of the features i miss about gnome :P
what do you use instead...and why ??

turkenator
November 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
i use kde i havent used gnome for well lets see... since fedora core 3 which was a while ago i thought id give it another try when i installed edgy but it wasnt stable at all it crashed when changing themes, browsing, creating files it reminded me of windows... (no offense intended i support gnome and believe there should always be a alternative) i didnt bother looking it up so i just reverted back kde and got rid of edgy all together when the ati drivers kept giving me trouble back on good ol' dapper

delfick
November 15th, 2006, 03:52 AM
i use kde i havent used gnome for well lets see... since fedora core 3 which was a while ago i thought id give it another try when i installed edgy but it wasnt stable at all it crashed when changing themes, browsing, creating files it reminded me of windows... (no offense intended i support gnome and believe there should always be a alternative) i didnt bother looking it up so i just reverted back kde and got rid of edgy all together when the ati drivers kept giving me trouble back on good ol' dapper

damn.....gnome is fantastic for me :D:D

xhaan
November 15th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I like mine...
I use Glossy P borders and controls, and Dropline Etiquette icons.
I don't usually have Icons on my desktop but I put them there so they can be seen, and I have Rhythmbox open to show off the shiney blue buttons and scrollbar.

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 06:02 AM
looks pretty sweet :P seems like im the only one so far choosing to use an ugly desktop :P but its good to use ugly desktop's sometimes they aren't distracting

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
^Ugly desktops distract me all the time :(

Here's my desktop. I quite like it. Sorry about the large file size, I guess it's because of my wallpaper. I had to resize it (make it smaller) to just get it uploaded. my actual desktop is 1400x1050

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1397/desktop2wa5.th.png (http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop2wa5.png)

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM
looks pretty clean and good to see some kubuntu users out there :D

kuja
November 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
^Ugly desktops distract me all the time :(

Here's my desktop. I quite like it. Sorry about the large file size, I guess it's because of my wallpaper. I had to resize it (make it smaller) to just get it uploaded. my actual desktop is 1400x1050

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1397/desktop2wa5.th.png (http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop2wa5.png)
PNG doesn't compress photograph-like images very well, being as it's a lossless format and all. JPG does a much better job than PNG for such images. If you're worried about loss of quality, it's worth noting that a max quality JPG is still smaller than the equivalent PNG file.

maagimies
November 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM
What is the ideal workstation for you?
What looks professional in your eyes?
Which Desktop Environment or Window Manager? Probably accompanied with some screenshots? and which theme and icon set you are using...
Maybe this could inspire some people to create a nice professional theme by observing what people like and dislike ?

I am using the "Web" window decoration with "Plastik Widgets" and the "Free Icons" icon set

Ps. Sorry for my english if i made any spelling/grammer errors
I may have gotten a bit boring on my desktop use, but nowadays I rarely even change the default wallpaper in distros, I focus mostly on applications now :)
As for Desktop Environment, I like Kubuntus KDE, although the butchered Konqueror annoys me sometimes.
About a year back or so I was constanly downloading something from kde-look.org but now I just don't see the need of it, my desktop is nice to look at already :D

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 11:22 AM
how do we download the non buthcered version of konqueror?

maagimies
November 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
how do we download the non buthcered version of konqueror?"Butchered" was kinda hard word from me, because the problems it caused weren't that big.
I had mostly trouble with Konqueror profiles, the bookmarks-toolbar was either on/off, and the setting in the profile had no meaning.
I did a kde-core install in Vmware and I were able to set the bookmarks toolbar to only show in "Web browsing" profile. And no, just copying the normal konqueror profiles from that one dir wasn't enough to fix the problem in my normal Kubuntu installation.
Since I like everything else in Kubuntu's KDE settings, I decided just to switch bookmarks-toolbar off so it won't bother me in file management :)

turkenator
November 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
oh ok that doesnt bother me anyway i just disabled that alltogether like u did since i dont use konqueror for browsing the web but how do we get rid of the sidebar thingie? even if u close the metabar u can still see the icons on the side

maagimies
November 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
oh ok that doesnt bother me anyway i just disabled that alltogether like u did since i dont use konqueror for browsing the web but how do we get rid of the sidebar thingie? even if u close the metabar u can still see the icons on the sideJust press F9. If you then save the file management profile, it won't be there if you open konqueror again.

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 05:29 PM
@turkenator: I don't use Kubuntu, I use server install + xorg + kde . Much more fulfilling

bonzodog
November 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I have become a big Openbox fan - I like my desk simple and stripped back. I tried the eye candy thing a while back with xfce, but found it distracting. This is a recent (not current) desktop of mine: