PDA

View Full Version : How to Develop a "for release" Project? Tips and Ideas needed

Relain
November 14th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Hey all,
So I've had a great idea for a program that i'd like to develop and release under an OS type license. Share and share alike and all that. This feels like something of a mighty task, far far out of my depth. But you've got to learn by doing right?

I'm a moderately experienced, perhaps 4 years of C / C++ scientific programmer. That means basically procedural / functional code, lots of math and my understanding of OO is at the level of using objects as structs with some nice methods to set/get data from them and that the STL is great but i have no idea how it works.

So i've never coded a GUI, i've co-operated on code but only in non-remote situations and i've almost no idea what meta-programming is.

I can see that making an actual release project, would entail delving into the OS of whatever platforms i want to release for, co-operating remotely with other developers, dealing with bugs, handling exceptions, packaging releases etc.

So haalp? I'd really appreciate tips / thoughts etc from people out there who've done this and gotten involved with OS development etc.

I have made some headway, i know what it's going to be, i've been sort of forced into a specific licensing situation via Intellectual Property agreements i'm laboring under (damn job), i'm fairly sure i'm going to use ruby as the backbone of the whole thing.

I figure the next thing to do is try and lay down some solid specs of what the program's meant to do, how it's going to do it and then break this down with a view to definig classes etc.

Right?

So yeah, throw in your oars! Thanks

Relain
November 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
after thinking about it some more i think my biggest un-knowledge is about managing a Database, how to integrate with one, which one to use etc.

The simplest idea would be to dump / load from flat files / YAML and then keep everything in the memory. Probably not very safe though.