PDA

View Full Version : Have you been a Wi-fi freeloader

katgfan
November 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM
What do you guys think of this news?

http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/13/singapore_teen_war_driving_charges/

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/11/asia/AS_GEN_Singapore_Internet_Charges.php

I think most technical users tried it at one point.

xhaan
November 14th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I think that's a bit rediculous and a waste of valuable prison space...

I've never gotten on someone elses wireless but I've had people on mine, untill I changed the SSID and generated an encryption key and enabled it.

Subnet
November 14th, 2006, 05:26 AM
I agree with xhaan, that is extremely ridiculous. Sending someone to prison for murder, understandable, for using someone's internet, ignorant.

djsroknrol
November 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Defrauding an inkeeper?...thieft of services?...whatever you'd call it..it is illegal...I don't think it has to come to prison time however...that's outa line...

No, I've never freeloaded wi-fi.....except if you call sitting at Starbucks with my lappy on their's freeloading...I thought it was part of the service...

katgfan
November 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I think that's a bit rediculous and a waste of valuable prison space...

True.

I've never gotten on someone elses wireless but I've had people on mine, untill I changed the SSID and generated an encryption key and enabled it.

I think security should be defaulted in wireless AP and an easier way for a non-technical person to use it.

tubasoldier
November 14th, 2006, 05:33 AM
If people are too ignorant to secure their wireless connection then they are offering a service to others. Secure your network if you dont want to offer a wifi hotspot service.

Bree
November 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I'm doing it right now. But my house went on fire, so yeah. :-|

learning
November 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I intentionally leave mine open. If you drive by my house, use the net all you want. I won't complain!

If everyone shared we could all have access everywhere.

d3v1ant_0n3
November 14th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Only time I've 'borrowed' wifi was in a hotel in New York. The place I was staying in charged for internet access. But the Holiday Inn right next door, with the open wifi, didn't.

Well what would YOU do? :p

xhaan
November 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I intentionally leave mine open. If you drive by my house, use the net all you want. I won't complain!

I wouldn't mind if it weren't for the possibility of someone doing illegal things using my IP address...

katgfan
November 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM

This will make life easy for the crackers. "Illegal stuff" anyone?

IYY
November 14th, 2006, 06:02 AM
If you leave your network open, you are offering to share it. At this point, you are the one who may be doing something illegal (depending on your contract with your ISP), certainly not the one who connects to your now public wireless network.

learning
November 14th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Seems to me I am as likely to be a victim of someone spoofing my ip address or cracking my system if they really want to try and "set up" a stranger, as I am someone doing something from my network that is illegal and me taking the blame.

I also think most people will try to do the right thing. Until I have reason to belive otherwise mine stays open! I hate when I am out somewhere and just need to check e-mail or something and have to drive across town to get to a hot-spot.

xhaan
November 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Seems to me I am as likely to be a victim of someone spoofing my ip address or cracking my system if they really want to try and "set up" a stranger, as I am someone doing something from my network that is illegal and me taking the blame.

I also think most people will try to do the right thing. Until I have reason to belive otherwise mine stays open! I hate when I am out somewhere and just need to check e-mail or something and have to drive across town to get to a hot-spot.

You'd be surprised, people might already be doing something and just haven't been caught yet... I used to have a public FTP server with an upload folder that I screened... the upload folder had no read permissions so people could upload to it but not download from it, that way people could upload without me yet I still had control over what was downloaded... and I found people constantly probing for ways to bypass the read only permissions, they kept uploading small files and then requesting them again. Some of the files were just text but others were really freakish scripts with filenames that had odd characters to make handling the files more difficult... I eventually got tired of it and shut the server down.

katgfan
November 14th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Your a good guy. I hope you can still say the same if the police will be questioning you or RIAA going after you.

fuscia
November 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM
we let our neighbors use ours until they got a router. it didn't make any difference to us and they were already paying for cable, but had gotten a laptop. i say cane the little bastard.

bonzini
November 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Just pathetic. This is less intrusive than the paperboy walking across your lawn to deliver your paper.

If you don't want someone using your wireless access point, then don't accept her radio waves.[-(

Shuja
November 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM
To me an open AP is free game, even a closed one at times O:)

MedivhX
November 14th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Maybe they should give him a money charge... Not prison...