PDA

View Full Version : For sale: A little red desktop ... 1Ghz 256Mb 6Gb

K.Mandla
November 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I'm auctioning off a custom-painted Dell Optiplex (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=140070&item=150059100659) that I rehabbed over the summer. This is the one I described in this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=237148).

As it stands, it comes with a 1Ghz processor, 256Mb of PC100, a 6Gb hard drive, onboard Intel NIC and i815 graphics, CDROM and a smooth paint job. And that includes a full and complete installation of Xubuntu 6.06.1. (It has a valid Win2K serial number too, if that's important to you. ... If you ask nicely, I might build you a dual boot. ;) )

Depending on how much you're willing to spend on it, you can put in a 1.4Ghz socket 370 chip, 512Mb of PC133, a 64Mb nVidia GeForce4 440 MX (the SFF AGP version), a DVD+/-RW with dual layer (these machines take optical drives from laptops ... which is pretty cool), and a hard drive of any size you feel is necessary. So there's space to grow, provided you have the financial means.

(I had most of those things installed already, but I'm not including them in the auction. :D )

All that in a computer the size of a dictionary. Sweet! :mrgreen:

P.S.: Stateside buyers only. Sorry. :(

Gaweph
November 16th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Would you install Ubuntu on there, so that the NIC and everything works (i hate fiddling round with those things).

----------EDIT--------

Sorry, me being an Idiot! just read "And that includes a full and complete installation of Xubuntu 6.06.1.", my mistake. Good itl come with that installed.

K.Mandla
November 16th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Yup, everything will work 100 percent as soon as you plug in the machine. The NIC, by the way, in an integrated 100Mbps model. Ebay's auction setup makes note of the NIC as if it were a bundled item, but this is onboard.

So I guess in that sense, yes, it's bundled. ... :roll:

compuguy1088
November 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I'm auctioning off a custom-painted Dell Optiplex (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=140070&item=150059100659) that I rehabbed over the summer. This is the one I described in this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=237148).

As it stands, it comes with a 1Ghz processor, 256Mb of PC100, a 6Gb hard drive, onboard Intel NIC and i815 graphics, CDROM and a smooth paint job. And that includes a full and complete installation of Xubuntu 6.06.1. (It has a valid Win2K serial number too, if that's important to you. ... If you ask nicely, I might build you a dual boot. ;) )

Depending on how much you're willing to spend on it, you can put in a 1.4Ghz socket 370 chip, 512Mb of PC133, a 64Mb nVidia GeForce4 440 MX (the SFF AGP version), a DVD+/-RW with dual layer (these machines take optical drives from laptops ... which is pretty cool), and a hard drive of any size you feel is necessary. So there's space to grow, provided you have the financial means.

(I had most of those things installed already, but I'm not including them in the auction. :D )

All that in a computer the size of a dictionary. Sweet! :mrgreen:

P.S.: Stateside buyers only. Sorry. :(

Now that is one slick Dell, especially the red paint job....it just sort of tempts me. Out of curiosity though, does it work with Edgy?

K.Mandla
November 17th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I have put Edgy on it, but I used Dapper because I felt it was a little better grounded. I also prefer the Dapper default for Xubuntu over the Edgy version (even though the composite manager works in Edgy with the onboard graphics ;) ). There are some funny quirks in the Xubuntu Edgy default.

compuguy1088
November 17th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I have put Edgy on it, but I used Dapper because I felt it was a little better grounded. I also prefer the Dapper default for Xubuntu over the Edgy version (even though the composite manager works in Edgy with the onboard graphics ;) ). There are some funny quirks in the Xubuntu Edgy default.
I know, I've been using Edgy on a Acer Aspire 3003 WLCi, with Edgy, and overall things are working better with some minor issues, which will probibly be overcome. Its just that that auction is so tempting, with that $1.00 bid, and that custom red paint job :).

K.Mandla
November 17th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Tempting, isn't it? :twisted: If you know what you're doing with Edgy, it certainly won't give you any problems.

I just went with Dapper because I didn't want to frighten an Ubuntu newbie with it, and it's the more levelheaded of the two distros ... in my experience, at least. ;)

Iandefor
November 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Sounds like quite the bargain :).

How much does the unit weigh?

K.Mandla
November 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM
When it's boxed, around 16 lbs. That's about 7.5 kg, if my mental calculations are right, and if anyone wants a metric number.

It's a sweet little machine, if a little dated. Dell still sells a small-form factor Optiplex, and the prices are reasonable, so long as you don't tack too many goodies on to it. ;)

Old Pink
November 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Congratulations on the sale! :D

$56/29 is a good deal. :)

Wish I could've bid, but I'm UK Based... :(

K.Mandla
November 21st, 2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks. I just got back from mailing it out.

I'm quite pleased with the final price. Sorry I couldn't open the bids worldwide. Maybe on the next one. ... ;)

adewale
December 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
so is it that pc's are that cheap at your place or you are giving it out? well am interested in your next one plz make it worldwide i need one for ubuntu thanks