PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on Playstation 3

cr0ss
November 14th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Hey,

Just a thought...

It would be great to see Ubuntu Linux support on the Playstation 3...
whenever the PS3 comes out (obviously not right away, lol).

It would be nice to see within the next year or so!

rocknrolf77
November 14th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Heard it was coming with a really easy install of yellowdog.

cr0ss
November 14th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I'm going to look into it :)

skymt
November 14th, 2006, 12:35 AM
The PS3 uses a PowerPC processor, and Ubuntu is already available for PPC. I predict some early adopter will hack Ubuntu onto the PS3 within a couple weeks.

xlulux
November 14th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Hey,

Just a thought...

It would be great to see Ubuntu Linux support on the Playstation 3...
whenever the PS3 comes out (obviously not right away, lol).

It would be nice to see within the next year or so!

no offense but ubuntu is quite bloaty to install on it.

but that is just my opinion

Chayak
November 14th, 2006, 02:17 AM
The PS3 uses a PowerPC processor, and Ubuntu is already available for PPC. I predict some early adopter will hack Ubuntu onto the PS3 within a couple weeks.

The powerPC and Cell although both PPC based are two different animals when it comes to architecture and the way programs need to be written to take full advantage of it, but just the same Terrasoft has done all the groundwork for their distro which means some crafty Ubuntu developer can take the code and use it to port Ubuntu over :mrgreen:

maniacmusician
November 14th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Someone experienced should get a team together and start hacking this distro into place. I have a vision for it, just not the skills of any kind to back it up.

What I'm really imagining is that it will be game oriented, so a frontend for playing PS3 games in ubuntu would have to be built. Everything, like themes, menus, etc, would be built around this. but of course, you have to find someone with the skill and motivation to put this together.

BarfBag
November 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Nice idea, but isn't the PS3 already coming with a Unix-based OS? Unless this recently changed. :confused:

Virogenesis
November 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM
it can be done, patches been released already see digg for news, infact any ppc based distro can be ran including arch ;)

maniacmusician
November 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I somehow doubt that. They allow you to run any linux system on there, but I doubt they ship it with one. Not that I care, not buying that lol.

Ocxic
November 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM
The PS3 allows a seperat operationg system to be installed.
not speacial hacks required, just select "install other OS" from the PS3's menu. and it works with any 2,5" sata HD and is very accessible and easy to change.

skymt
November 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Nice idea, but isn't the PS3 already coming with a Unix-based OS? Unless this recently changed. :confused:

They were going to ship it with Linux, but they changed their minds. It probably had something to do with the Terrasoft deal.

jc87
November 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/playstation.php

It seems we may already have support for PS3 with the 2.6.19 kernel when it gets out:rolleyes:

Probably there will be no official "Ubuntu for PS3" (probably not even unofficial due to lack of available PS3īs) when feisty is released, but who knows about feisty +1 or +2

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Oh definitely not with feisty! lol that's way too soon to customize an OS to a video game console. feisty +2, maybe, if we're lucky.

slimdog360
November 15th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I think some people were complaning that the operating system running on the ps3 would just take up valuable RAM. It only has 256MB I think, then another 256MB for the GPU. If I were going to run an operating system on it Id rather something without a window manager and run it from the console.

maniacmusician
November 15th, 2006, 05:36 AM
well the whole point of an OS would be to use it as alternate computer. With a web browser, etc. Can't get that very well through the console. I think if such a thing were created, when you inserted a game, the OS should recognize it, and shut off all RAM consuming things so that you can play the game. and then if you want to check something on the internet in the middle of your game, you hit pause, and there would be an option to return to the OS. it would then save the status of the game to the hard drive, freeing up ram for normal use, until you go back to the game.

cr0ss
June 6th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Wow... and they did it too :D

PmDematagoda
June 6th, 2008, 09:40 AM
If you wanted to confirm the achievement of this thread then you should have done so in a new thread of your own instead of resurrecting a two year old thread.

This thread is closed.